MCAT more than once?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

margiethemoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
i'm sorry this is another one of those "what are my chances" threads
but I'm in my final year as an undergrad.. graduating in june
i'd really like to go to med school in aus
I wrote my mcat twice the first time getting 31Q (PS -12; BS - 9; VB - 10) but then the second time was actually kind of worse 30Q (PS - 8; BS - 11; VB - 11) I improved BS and VB but did horribly on my PS.. :scared:
I'd really like to go to USyd.. i was wondering what my chances would be.. especially with two scores like that
my gpa is around 3.7-3.8, but i heard it's irrelevant there?

thanks a lot in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi there,

First let me say that I think you have a decent shot at an interview, and even at admission, provided you rock the interview. That being said, the GPA at Sydney, to my understanding, is not irrelevant. Instead, they just don't consider it as important as the North American schools do. If you read the admission requirements/process on the Sydney website (http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/futurestudent/applicant/internat/admission.php)

you'll see that initially what they look at is a combination of your GPA and MCAT. They set a cutoff for the combo of the two, and if you're above it, you're offered an interview. I've seen around the boards here that as you have a 30 and up, you should be all right for Sydney. (I was offered an interview with a 3.1 GPA and 32Q- so everything balances out, more or less!)

Hope this alleviates a little bit of stress!

Hi there,

First let me say that I think you have a decent shot at an interview, and even at admission, provided you rock the interview. That being said, the GPA at Sydney, to my understanding, is not irrelevant. Instead, they just don't consider it as important as the North American schools do. If you read the admission requirements/process on the Sydney website (http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/futurestudent/applicant/internat/admission.php)

you'll see that initially what they look at is a combination of your GPA and MCAT. They set a cutoff for the combo of the two, and if you're above it, you're offered an interview. I've seen around the boards here that as you have a 30 and up, you should be all right for Sydney. (I was offered an interview with a 3.1 GPA and 32Q- so everything balances out, more or less!)

Hope this alleviates a little bit of stress!

thanks so much.. this makes me feel a lot better! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
The GPA doesn't matter at Sydney or Queensland as long as it's above about 2.7. You should be able to get into most schools in the US.

thanks so much.. this makes me feel a lot better! :D

No problem- it's always nice to have a little more information. Shan is right though, with those scores, you definitely have a shot at US/Canadian schools too. I know you said you wanted to go to USyd, so it looks like you'll have quite a few options! Good luck!