MCAT nightmare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RimaP

LoveMed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm becoming really frustrated to the point where my hair is going to fall out. But I wanted to express this problem and wanted to see people's reactions:

My Kaplan FL results have been around 490-491, which is really irritating because my lowest would be the Psych section. Yet the other company's FL (PrinceRev, NextStep) it was my highest (126 on both).
Also my AAMC scores (from the official guided), I got at least 50% on all 4 sections (which should equal at least a 500)

I had a talk with the Dean of some admissions from medical schools that I'm interested in and my top school choice advised me not to freak out entirely on a moderate score if everything is good (which is GPA, experience, etc).

My MCAT date is next week and I don't feel like waiting anymore longer to take it,
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would not advise you to take it because a 500 will put you at a disadvantage. Don't Rush what could be the rest of your life (being a doctor).

Reactions: 1 user
I would not advise you to take it because a 500 will put you at a disadvantage. Don't Rush what could be the rest of your life (being a doctor).

Agree with the above but you said above 50th percentile on each section of the AAMC test correct? If your overall score is around 70th percentile it might still be a solid idea to take. With the limited resources out there for the new MCAT, I am not sure how realistic substantial improvements are if you have already burned through so many resources. I can't however say it's a great idea to take the test if you are staring at a percentile much under that though.

Kaplan scores are entirely worthless. Really any non AAMC practice test score means jack squat.

Also are you applying this or next cycle? If you don't feel ready that's even more reason to push back taking the test which is already starting to push the later side of things.

Agree with the above but you said above 50th percentile on each section of the AAMC test correct? If your overall score is around 70th percentile it might still be a solid idea to take. With the limited resources out there for the new MCAT, I am not sure how realistic substantial improvements are if you have already burned through so many resources. I can't however say it's a great idea to take the test if you are staring at a percentile much under that though.

Kaplan scores are entirely worthless. Really any non AAMC practice test score means jack squat.

Also are you applying this or next cycle? If you don't feel ready that's even more reason to push back taking the test which is already starting to push the later side of things.

Yea, I am applying this year. Would like to at least apply to the schools that I talked to

Members don't see this ad :)
obviously take it under timed conditions, report your scores, and look at mcatjelly's document to see if your scores are close to what you want.

Not yet, but I will this weekend!

Given there is only one of those available right now and how they are the only accurate source of predicting MCAT scores I would not waste it right now when it is clear there are gaps in your knowledge and you aren't ready to take right now. Study learn the material, then take and see where you stand and work to improve the areas you are weak at. Something that valuable shouldn't just be wasted when it's clear you aren't ready because if you do study you have no way of assessing how well you are learning the material and prepping for the test without the AAMC test.

Btw your MCAT score will be rather late this cycle. Not sure if that's the best plan to rush an application now

^Yass I agree with his assessment. Especially since your AAMC Guide %s were so low...but at the end of the day...it's up to you. luckily if it doesnt work out...another FL will be coming out soon..so you could always use that as the gold standard should this FL not go well.

I would not take it next week. Postpone. See if there are dates on 8/21 or 8/22. That *might* be enough time to raise the scores.

Currently, I am about 494 on Kaplan but am not freaked out because 1) I know some of the missed answers are simply a "face palm" 2) the areas I'm weak in are things I can hone before test day 3) I have time and plenty of practice materials to go through yet.

I would not take it next week. Postpone. See if there are dates on 8/21 or 8/22. That *might* be enough time to raise the scores.

Currently, I am about 494 on Kaplan but am not freaked out because 1) I know some of the missed answers are simply a "face palm" 2) the areas I'm weak in are things I can hone before test day 3) I have time and plenty of practice materials to go through yet.

That and the fact that people who scored 498-499 on Kap ended up with 510+ on the real thing. Not saying you will definitely do so, just know that Kap FLs aren't get predictors of success on the real thing.

That and the fact that people who scored 498-499 on Kap ended up with 510+ on the real thing. Not saying you will definitely do so, just know that Kap FLs aren't get predictors of success on the real thing.
More than you could ever know, thank you. I try to encourage others but every once in awhile, I need it myself.

More than you could ever know, thank you. I try to encourage others but every once in awhile, I need it myself.

Though encouragement was secondary, my initial statement was more geared towards reality...there is no real predictor for this new exam. So don't feel down if you aren't scoring well on test prep FLs....take the AAMC Fl for a real evaluation. Also, consult mcatjelly's document..and you'll regularly see people scoring in the 495-499 region...who ended up with 510+ scores.

Reactions: 1 users
I know but when someone inadvertently encourages someone, they should be given an electronic high-five. Modeling behavior and all of that :) lol okay - off to find Mcatjelly's thing

It's honestly not even worth converting your kaplan raw scores to the scores they provide; tells you absolutely nothing about how you stand. Use Kaplan to master content, that's it.

Hello everyone,

I'm becoming really frustrated to the point where my hair is going to fall out. But I wanted to express this problem and wanted to see people's reactions:

My Kaplan FL results have been around 490-491, which is really irritating because my lowest would be the Psych section. Yet the other company's FL (PrinceRev, NextStep) it was my highest (126 on both).
Also my AAMC scores (from the official guided), I got at least 50% on all 4 sections (which should equal at least a 500)

I had a talk with the Dean of some admissions from medical schools that I'm interested in and my top school choice advised me not to freak out entirely on a moderate score if everything is good (which is GPA, experience, etc).

My MCAT date is next week and I don't feel like waiting anymore longer to take it,
Thanks!
Just because you got 50% correct on the section does not mean you're at the 50th percentile. Good luck and keep grinding!

Just took the practice test:

C/P: 66% (correct)
CARS: 45%
BIO: 45%
Psych: 61%

Not great I know, but ugh I have to just try my best tomorrow

Just did the AAMC OG:

Bio - not reporting it now :( suffice to say, my 4 year old bio is not helping me much but biochem is saving my ...
Chem: 55%
Psych: 71%
CARS: 82%

(those are percentage correct)

Okay, so now what. Have not even started chem review that was just rote memory from old crap. Bio. Ugh. TG for biochem but even those I missed simple things. Oh, and I finished each piece with plenty of time. Didn't even really feel like I was reading the things.

Didn't even really feel like I was reading the things.

That's your problem, you're not reading the passages. This is a critical thinking test, you need to read the passage well! Have you reviewed your wrong answers? I found that as I reviewed the OG I would mark many questions as "reading is fundamental you big dummy" lol soo many points lost to not carefully reading the passage!

Reactions: 1 users
Cars is great! Psych is pretty good also...Chem and Bio...need to improve significantly...well I guess it all depends on your target score..but focus on Bio and Chem now! I wish I could tell you how my MCAT was...but it doesn't come out til the 18th..but for what it's worth...my AAMC Fl %'s were Chem = 81, CARS = 83, Bio = 86, Psych = 80. So it's definitely possible to score high on the AAMC Fl. When's your test?

8/22

CARS: I'm feeling pretty good about; will keep working on that
Psych: I need to make a note card for all the names I have (list was on reddit)

My bio:

I made a list of all the systems I was weak on (pretty much everything but kidney); am also going through to see if I completely missed something (seriously didn't know or it was I got to 2 answer choices and 100% picked the wrong one - which tells me I know "something" but that "something" is simply not enough to do well)

Gchem - I have not even started content review for that. derp :shrug::smack:

I was going to take the AAMC FL on the 12th or 13th ... to then, suggestions?

Just did a Kaplan q-bank of bio questions - topics I got wrong? 100% muscles (eliminated 2 choices easily, picked the wrong one)

take the FL 4 days before..so the 18th. Review it like crazy..so it takes up the next day. 20th = review weak areas...in your case bio and gen chem. 21st = relax Between now and the 18th...either review like crazy..or review a few days..and throw in some extra practice tests..that part is up to you and how you feel about your content overall. Just my 2 cents. Honestly, not having reviewed an entire section with ~2 weeks does not bode well for you...consider pushing off the test if your FL does not go as planned.

take the FL 4 days before..so the 18th. Review it like crazy..so it takes up the next day.

My gchem is not the issue really (I got those right the thermo, equilibrium, etc - 100% on those) it was the orgo. I have not done gen chem content review because it come pretty easily for me. Obviously, I need to brush the graphs up and Get = Higher TestScores but I am feeling pretty confident I can raise that score significantly with those; but the orgo? that I was not expecting ...

So, the section I scored worse on: bio. All the biochem I got 95% right (missed one MM question because I skimmed it; like the whole test).

I can give 8 hours a day until the exam. How best to break that up? I read the questions I got wrong and think "derp, you knew that" (ala myosin and Ca 2+ channels causing conformational change so the myosin can move again; or that acetylcholine doesn't relax a muscle, it contracts it; stuff like that)...