mcat NON TRADITIONAL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JFOCUS123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding taking MCAT and applying for medical school.
I am a junior right now. I recently decided to go from graduate school of DPT to MEDICAL school. Therefore, I still need to take organic chemistry 1,2 lab and physics 2 biochem as well as my major requirements. I can finish everything by fall 2017. If I take my MCAT after I graduate, so like in august or so. When would I apply to medical school? When would I be starting medical school? Would this be taking one gap year or like two? I am confused as to when will I actually start medical school if I take my MCAT in august after I graduate in fall 2017. I will graduate in May, that leaves me 2 and half months to study for MCAT, I believe. I really will not be able to study for MCAT in my senior year because of all the coursework that I have to finish. I do not mind a gap year, but for some reason I think if I take my MCAT in august- it will be 2 gap years. I am very confused.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having a little trouble following your timeline. So you'll graduate in May of 2017, and then do the MCAT in August of 2017? Right?

If so, then you'd be kinda late on MD application, just because your score won't release till September. This will put you behind thousands of applicants who submitted in April-July. Not impossible, especially if you kill the MCAT (518+), but if it comes out as a solid but not amazing score (511-513), then you'll be in a tough spot. Assuming a successful cycle, you'd start med school in the fall of 2018.

You'd be in good position for the DO cycle with this timing, but not sure which route you're wanting.

If you take the MCAT in August, you can apply the following year, so you would submit in June 2018, and start in summer/fall 2019 for MD. If you could take the MCAT by April, you could apply in June 2017 and start in 2018.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you take the MCAT in August, you can apply the following year, so you would submit in June 2018, and start in summer/fall 2019 for MD. If you could take the MCAT by April, you could apply in June 2017 and start in 2018.

OP wouldn't have to necessarily wait for that next cycle though :)

She could submit AMCAS in June of 2017 (without the MCAT), apply to the schools and get secondaries, and then her app is updated in September 2017 once the MCAT score is released. She'd just be behind the curve timewise compared to the applicants who submitted earlier with a complete application (i.e. MCAT score).

She could submit AMCAS in June of 2017 (without the MCAT), apply to the schools and get secondaries, and then her app is updated in September 2017 once the MCAT score is released. She'd just be behind the curve timewise compared to the applicants who submitted earlier with a complete application (i.e. MCAT score).
True. I thought of that route but was advised against it for a lot of people so I forgot to mention it.

It took me a while too to understand OP... she did say she does not mind a gap year

OP: you have to take a gap year if you are taking MCAT after graduation.
If you want to enter medical school in fall 2017 (no gap year), you have to apply by fall 2016 (after your junior year/beginning of your senior year).
If you want to enter medical school in fall 2018 (1 gap year), you have to apply by fall 2017.

Taking MCAT in Aug 2017 is generally considered too late for that cycle per the posters above unless 1) you have high GPA + MCAT, or 2) you are OK with DO instead of MD
But if you wait to apply the following cycle (fall 2018), then you will be taking two gap years.

Not sure why OP things she's nontraditional though with this. Unless she thinks she's special because she's switching tracks from physical therapy to med school. If that then all I can say is LOL.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm having a little trouble following your timeline. So you'll graduate in May of 2017, and then do the MCAT in August of 2017? Right?

If so, then you'd be kinda late on MD application, just because your score won't release till September. This will put you behind thousands of applicants who submitted in April-July. Not impossible, especially if you kill the MCAT (518+), but if it comes out as a solid but not amazing score (511-513), then you'll be in a tough spot. Assuming a successful cycle, you'd start med school in the fall of 2018.

You'd be in good position for the DO cycle with this timing, but not sure which route you're wanting.
Thank you for answering. I will graduate in may of 2017. I wanted to take two months to study for MCAT. And then take it in august of 2017. What do you mean when you say I would be good for DO cycle? like whats the difference betweeen the application process?

I believe I will be taking my MCAT in august 2017 - b/c I need to give myself enough time after I graduate in may 2017 to study. Can anyone please answer like when does the application process start? Is it right to believe that i won't be able to apply in fall 2018. So I would be taking two gap years? What are the things I could do in those 2 gap years. Doesn't it look bad that i took 2 gap years? isn't that too much? Also, I am considering both options. MD or DO. I think I want to be a pediatrician. Does picking MD or DO affect when I apply or the whole application deadline?
I apologise for so may questions.

if you take MCAT in August, you will not receive score until September
MD/AMCAS: can start submit around June/July, deadline around November, completion past Aug/Sep is considered "late"
DO/AACOMAS: not super familiar, but Oct/Nov submission is fine

if you take MCAT in August, you will not receive score until September
MD/AMCAS: can start submit around June/July, deadline around November, completion past Aug/Sep is considered "late"
DO/AACOMAS: not super familiar, but Oct/Nov submission is fine
how do you know its in oct/nov? Does this like depend on the school? If i apply to DO school , i would be able to start in fall 2018 right? (w/ 1 gap year)

Searching through the threads will help too, as all of your questions have been answered previously... Little bit of research will help you a lot more than just taking what random people on the internet say verbatim (no offense to the random people who did answer lol)