harkkam

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2006
Status
Guys my stats are not stellar but I know I need at least till July to do well on my MCATS.

Now the question is,

Do i take the Mcat July 16 when scores are back August 17th.

or DO i take the MCAT July 29th when scores come back August 31st.

Originally planned to take the test july 8th but I forgot my family was moving and I have to pick a different test center.

I feel like the July 29th will give me more time and it would be great in a perfect world but I also feel like thats pushing me out of early territory and more of an average competitor.

Im really not sure what to do.

Also the July 29th test is at 1:00pm while the July 16th test is at 8:00am. I am not a morning person as well and not my sharpest at 8:00 am.

I dont know how much weight that should have in my decision. Thanks guys...

elftown

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I'd take it on the 29th and make sure you kill it. I took mine on July 31 and was accepted to my top schools. I definitely don't think it is too late. Better to take it ready than not.

Everglide

EM PGY3
10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It sounds like you're more comfortable with the 29th. This seems the most important.

There isn't a huge difference in terms of days between the 17th and 29th, I don't think either are "early" - so I would take it the 29th.

cuhubris

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2008
Philadelphia
Status
Medical Student
I took mine on August 14th last year, and got into 2 of my top 3 schools. You should be fine, do what works best, you don't want to be distracted or not at your best while taking the MCAT.

futuredoc12221

5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I had a similar situation...didn't take the MCAT til August, which gave me a full month to do nothing but prepare. Ended up doing well on the test and getting into the schools I wanted (waitlisted at one though!)

CardioPlus

PGY-2
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I hear you, I am in the same boat. I really want to go to NYCOM and I know that my GPA (4.0) is not the problem. I really want to do well on MCAT but I am taking a full 19 credit semester right now with AandP, Orgo, Physics II etc and I can't give a 100% on MCAT related studies, as I am focusing on the "A"s. I am just worried that if I go ahead as planned, and take the MCAT on july 16th...well, that I won't be so competitive anymore :(
Are you saying that you don't think you'll be competitive at NYCOM for taking the MCAT on July 16th? or are you saying you don't think you will be prepared enough for it on July 16th?

Because I took mine on July 17th last year and was in the 2nd week of interviews at NYCOM. If you don't think you'll be ready just bump it back 2 weeks, you'll be fine! :thumbup:

Jul 21, 2009
Status
Please take it July 16th!!! if you take it at the end of july, you won't get your scores back til the end of August/early September. If you happen to tank it (like i did my first one), you will have about 10 days to study for the last MCAT in September.

If you take July 16th, you'll get your scores mid august. If you like them, keep them. If you don't like it, you'll have at least 3 weeks to study for the last one in September. Keep your doors open by taking the mid July one! 2 weeks of studying won't make really that much difference.