MCAT on Paper (due to visual impairment)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TallPreMed

Most people on here are nice. I'm not.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
So I have nystagmus which is a visual condition that causes my eyes to shift back and fort on a horizontal pathway. It is a medical condition that is considered a "visual impairment", however with the use of a competent ophthalmologist and good contacts, my vision is 20/25 (R) and 20/30 (L). I was given accommodations in college but rarely used them, unless it happened to be for a computerized exam, as my specific condition does not work well with computer screens. (My brother has nystagmus as well and that's actually a part of his IEP)

My question is... What are the chances I can take the MCAT on paper instead of the computer? This is the only accommodation I need- extra time, large font, blue background/black font are also suggested for people with N, but again, I don't need it. I could take the test on the computer, but would need the colors reverted, and from what I've read, the MCAT computers do not allow for that (they only have Zoomtext).

Yes I am aware that as a physician I will have to be on the computer for copious amounts of time, however it's not for the same extent as taking the MCAT (and I can revert the colors on most standard computers if need be). I will take the MCAT in 2017... Trying to get a jump start on it now so I'll have plenty of time to prepare for it and request the paper version.

Has anyone actually heard of someone taking the MCAT on paper? I feel like their difficulty in providing accommodations is an ADA lawsuit just waiting to happen. (As a side note, 2015 MCAT does not indicate whether or not you've used accommodations now to adcoms)

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet is to contact the AAMC and ask them directly. They'll give you a for sure answer.

MCAT accommodations will help you decide best course of action. Make sure you have plenty of documentation on how the disability affects you at school and in other aspects of your life.

I am accommodated by the AAMC for the MCAT and it was not easy but it is doable provided you have the above.

Reactions: 1 user
ZoomText has options for inverting and high contrast, I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "reverted," (perhaps I'm uninformed) but ZoomText might have what you're looking for?

Good luck, I hope you get whatever accommodations you need!