Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MCAT organic chem.. how much lab techniques we really need to know?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jakethaiCSULA, Jul 9, 2001.

1. jakethaiCSULA

jakethaiCSULA Member

Hey guys!! Just wondering, I am taking the MCAT this aug and I'm not sure how much of those organic chem lab techniques we really need to know. I took organic chem about 3 years ago and got A on both sections but I don't really remember much of those lab stuff . Any input will be great thanks a bunch.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Creolequeen

Creolequeen Junior Member

Mostly the extraction/saponification stuff and the differences between rxn types(SN1, SN2, etc.) You may also get some questions about rxn conditions i.e. what will happen to the system under hot or cold temperatures. The chiral center questions are favorites too.

4. together

together Senior Member

Study Kaplan's Comprehensive Review. If you got A's in both sections, a thorough review and practice tests should serve you well. The April 2001 test (form EM) had roughly 55% Organic Chemistry and 45% General Biology. In other words, the "traditional" 60/40 Bio/Orgo split appears to be shifting toward Orgo. Study those complicated mechanisms and be aware of what is going on. Don't worry about memorizing any of them. Just be aware of what's happening. I had a bunch of mechanism questions on April's exam (I scored an 11 on the section).

Cheers,

Together