MCAT Organic Chemistry Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopetocure2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When 1-butanol is dehydrated what is the product?

I say 2-butene (trans preferred, with cis and 1 butene as minor products)

The Princeton Review book says 1-butene is answer. (I am basing my question off of question one, passage 11 from the Organic Chemistry section in the Hyperlearning MCAT Science Workbook)

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

If dehydrating in conc. H2SO4, the initial product (more of an intermediate as we'll see) formed is 1-butene. But being in a solution of H2SO4, 1-butene can be protonated and will be in equilibrium with the carbocation at carbon-2. When the carbocation undergoes elimination again, it preferentially goes to the more substituted (and more stable) 2-butene and as you stated the trans is preferred at that.

This one is tricky but this exact question was in my college textbook.

I'd say 2-butene because you have to do it by E1 and you'll get rearrangement with acid. That seems like a simple problem that a prep company should get right.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you look at the table
the enthalpy values are
1-butene: 30.3
cis-2-butene: 28.6
trans-2-butene: 27.6

I think 1-butene is the most stable in this case since it releases more energy? Not sure...

(By the way you can get to the answer, C, right away because B includes both the enthalpy values of the cis and trans 2-butene, but I guess you saw that already)

Too many people saying E1... H2SO4... This is a primary alcohol, E1 is not going to occur. Only E2 is going to occur and it will give you 1-butene.

In response to onemanshow, the enthalpy values show that 1-butene is the least stable. Even without using the table, you should know that alkylation stabilizes alkenes, so 1-butene should be less stable than 2-butene. Those enthalpy values don't represent energy released by dehydration.

Too many people saying E1... H2SO4... This is a primary alcohol, E1 is not going to occur. Only E2 is going to occur and it will give you 1-butene.

In response to onemanshow, the enthalpy values show that 1-butene is the least stable. Even without using the table, you should know that alkylation stabilizes alkenes, so 1-butene should be less stable than 2-butene. Those enthalpy values don't represent energy released by dehydration.

Even though it's primary, the overall product will be predominantly trans 2 butene because the 1 butene will pick up another proton and another elimination will occur.

Last edited:
Even though it's primary, the overall product will be predominantly trans 2 butene because the 1 butene will pick up another proton and another elimination will occur.

I don't have the passage he's referring to, it seemed to me like conc. H2SO4 was brought up in reference to some other textbook with "this exact question."

In either case, "When 1-butanol is dehydrated what is the product?" is a straightforward question, and should be answered with a straightforward answer. Valid point, but I think it's unwise to assume we're given enough time to find the most stable alkene.