MCAT Over...any Book Recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dng_06

apple01
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the MCAT is over (hopefully forever!!), I have a lot of extra time on my hands....was wondering if any of the SDN's have book recommendations? I definitely want to pick up some good readings :) ...Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

dng_06 said:
Since the MCAT is over (hopefully forever!!), I have a lot of extra time on my hands....was wondering if any of the SDN's have book recommendations? I definitely want to pick up some good readings :) ...Thanks

Some of my favorites are The Kite Runner, The Namesake, and The God of Small Things. I also really recommend House of God (it's HILARIOUS if you're pre-med) and Complications if you're not to burnt out from the MCAT to read some medicine-related books. Enjoy some down time now that it's all over =)!!

I *loved* House of God and went on to read Mount Misery. Hilarious. Also, I agree as well for Complications--actually had to read it for an English essay writing class, and it was a quick read :)

arsenicmercury said:
I *loved* House of God and went on to read Mount Misery. Hilarious. Also, I agree as well for Complications--actually had to read it for an English essay writing class, and it was a quick read :)

You've got great tastes in books :). I completely forgot that there was a sequel to House of God; I think I'm going to head to B&N later tonight and see if they have it (and consume way more caffeine then I should =P). Although the last thing I need is another distraction from studying for the MCAT haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
dng_06 said:

princeton review a-d

monaheel said:
You've got great tastes in books :). I completely forgot that there was a sequel to House of God; I think I'm going to head to B&N later tonight and see if they have it (and consume way more caffeine then I should =P). Although the last thing I need is another distraction from studying for the MCAT haha.

I just had to put this quote!!

"Life is a d***, when it's soft, you can't beat it; when it's hard, you're screwed"
-The Fat Man, House of God

I just got my hands on The Alchemist and Thus Spoke Zarathustra

MrDocNYU said:
I just had to put this quote!!

"Life is a d***, when it's soft, you can't beat it; when it's hard, you're screwed"
-The Fat Man, House of God

LOL :D . Anyone who doesn't appreciate the humor of this book shouldn't go to medical school haha.

dng_06 said:

these are the books i read right after my mcat until the class began, and i loved it.

they are

"fire on the plain" by ooka.

"wind-up bird chronicle" and "dance dance dance" by murakami

"geek love" by dunn

did not particular choose to read the japanese author's book but the library floor i usually camp out holds international books along with other literature books.

dng_06 said:

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. Funniest book on the planet. And I mean people-in-Starbucks-looking-at-me-like-I'm-crazy-for-laughing-out-loud-all-the-time funny. Google it and check out the reviews. I've read it twice.

Life of Pi I thought was very good.

Donnie Brasko is unbelievable. Much more in depth than the movie. How that guy survived I'll never know. Dude has the biggest balls ever.

rpost3 said:
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. Funniest book on the planet. And I mean people-in-Starbucks-looking-at-me-like-I'm-crazy-for-laughing-out-loud-all-the-time funny. Google it and check out the reviews. I've read it twice.

Life of Pi I thought was very good.

Donnie Brasko is unbelievable. Much more in depth than the movie. How that guy survived I'll never know. Dude has the biggest balls ever.

I read Life of Pi, and found it to be a very good book as well. The other book I highly recommend is Mountains Beyond Mountains. It is a true story of a physician, Dr. Paul Farmer, who has done work all throughout the world (Haiti, Rwanda, Peru, Russia). A very inspirational book.

And if you like Hemingway at all, The Sun Also Rises is one of my favorites.

A Walk in the Woods and The World is Flat are definitely on my list of books to read.

Xswim57 said:
I read Life of Pi, and found it to be a very good book as well. The other book I highly recommend is Mountains Beyond Mountains. It is a true story of a physician, Dr. Paul Farmer, who has done work all throughout the world (Haiti, Rwanda, Peru, Russia). A very inspirational book.

And if you like Hemingway at all, The Sun Also Rises is one of my favorites.

A Walk in the Woods and The World is Flat are definitely on my list of books to read.

I agree, Life of Pi and Mountains Beyond Mountains are great books! Also, Dancing Skeletons is a good book along the lines of Mountains Beyond Mountains if you have an interest in the public health arena, but if I could only recommend one, stick to Paul Farmer!

monaheel said:
I agree, Life of Pi and Mountains Beyond Mountains are great books! Also, Dancing Skeletons is a good book along the lines of Mountains Beyond Mountains if you have an interest in the public health arena, but if I could only recommend one, stick to Paul Farmer!

The World is Flat is by Thomas Friedman (not Robert). The guy's a bit of a nut I think. I don't agree with his "analyses" and he rarely pertains to facts. Read his musings in the New York Times, he's a staff opinion columnist.

Ooh, thanks everyone! I'm in the process of writing all these recommendations down...I'm excited about reading a book that doesn't begin with "Chapter 1: Nomenclature." :)

dng_06 said:
Rubyfruit Jungle - Rita Mae Brown
The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck (read this in 9th grade and it is still one of my all-time favorites)
The Bonesetter's Daughter - Amy Tan Actually, any Amy Tan book, especially the Joy Luck Club and The Kitchen God's Wife
The Bible
White Teeth - Zandie Smith

House of God
My Own Country

Those are both medically themed, both great.

Confederacy of Dunces if you need to laugh.