Charlie

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Jan 5, 1999
Visit site
Status
Can anyone recommend a great MCAT physics prep book. I remember a few of my friends raving about one in particular, but I can't remember the name. All I know is that the author is a physics prof at Cal Tech...I think. If that doesn't jog anyone's memory, then could someone recommend any others.

Thanks!

Charlie

Sweet Tea

Girl Next Door
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2002
Travelling via handbasket
Status
Attending Physician
kaplan wasn't working for me, so i tried the EK (examkrackers) physics book. loved it loved it loved it. i wish i had had the 1001 questions book to go along with the other book, but oh well.

ermonty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 29, 2001
The Octagon @ Mandalay Bay
Status
Attending Physician
I don't know about EK physics prep book, but everyone round these parts swears by it. However, I just got EK 1001 MCAT physics Q's and it's pretty awesome. Has Questions for EVERY possible physics topic; also, they are categorized into particular topics and they have explanations.

missbonnie

floating
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2002
Status
Medical Student
Another vote for examkrackers physics! Used the book and the 1001 book and got a 12 in PS on the mcat.

-bonnie

sng33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2001
Visit site
Status
Bonnie, and other who have used the 1001 book, how do you feel it is best utilized? It seems way too time consuming to try to do it all, but it seems reasonable to maybe take a few practice tests figure out week areas then work on those specific areas. Is this what you guys did to be sucessful?

missbonnie

floating
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2002
Status
Medical Student
Yes, I too think it is time consuming to do all of them. I would do every 4th problem until you hit a weak area, then do most to all of the problems on that topic. Email/PM me if you need more info.

ttac

Trust me, it's still fun.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2001
Not Philly...
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd have to give my vote to (in addition to the normal kaplan/princeton review/betz materials) "Understanding Physics" by Isaac Asimov. It was a 5" by 8" by 2.5" red book that really gave great explanations for physics theorems and generally was a great book, pretty much devoid of equations/math. Basically it let you reason through physics equations/situations without drowning you with mathematical equations. I used it and got a 14 in PS in '96 and a 13 in PS in '99. (But I was also a chem major, so that helped too)

-ttac

Mudd

Charlatan & Trouble Maker
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2002
relocated again
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Charlie:
Can anyone recommend a great MCAT physics prep book. I remember a few of my friends raving about one in particular, but I can't remember the name. All I know is that the author is a physics prof at Cal Tech...I think. If that doesn't jog anyone's memory, then could someone recommend any others.

Thanks!

Charlie
The author is Dr. Feinmann, although I can't recall his first name. That book and Conceptual Physics by Hewitt are considered the Bibles (or Korans) of physics from a common sense perspective.

As far as MCAT materials go, you'd be hard pressed to find a better book than the ones from Berkeley Review. The two books address topics in a simplifed manner, present many great examples and test strategies, and have about 100 passages with tons of questions and detailed answers on how to attack the question. The only problem is that they are rare, unless you are in California.

SolidGold

Florida winters are the best!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2002
Tampa, FL
Status
Attending Physician
I have the 3 volume collection of Dr. Feynman's Lectures for Physics. Very good stuff but it is way too much for MCAT review. I am using the EK stuff, both the 1001 and the review book. I think that they are great and I would recommend it to those having problems with MCAT Physics by either Kaplan or PR.

Damn, I sound like I could be a sales rep for EK :)

twesting2173

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2001
Visit site
Status
will someone please sell me thier used EK practice tests and/or 101 question book? i realyneed some practice materail..in both PS and verbal. thanks so much.

OP
C

Charlie

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Jan 5, 1999
Visit site
Status
DrBravesgirl mentioned the book by Nova and that may be the one I was thinking of, but with a lot in favor of EK, I may check into that.

Thanks for all of the input!

Charlie

CoffeeCat

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2001
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with EK as a great book to use for physics.

HOWEVER, watch where you buy it. I tried a bunch of smaller companies and they would try to send it media mail (which takes a month) or they'd report a few days later that they were out of it. I finally just ordered it from Barnes & Noble and it did arrive. Be sure to order it from a company that you can trust to get it there soon. Good luck :)

junoxii

15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2002
chicago, IL
Visit site
Status
I have come to the conclusion that examkrackers is the way to go for extra preparation, but would you recommend the 1001 questions or the review book as a supplement for stuff from Kaplan?