MCAT Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAGuyana

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been suffering with Examkrackers Physics until I cracked open my Kaplan MCAT Physics book. Kaplan totally demystified a lot of the stuff for me. Did anyone else have this experience? Is the Kaplan Physics review good enough to get me over this section on the MCAT? Please advise. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about the Kaplan Physics stuff (I have it but haven't looked at it), but I was struggling with the EK Physics book as well. Not even their 101 Physics practice book was helping. I just wasn't getting it.

So, I read some suggestions on SDN regarding physics and ordered the Nova Physics book. I highly recommend it. It breaks everything down into digestible little bites before putting it all together again. I was despairing of being able to break an 8 in PS, but I think that if I complete the entire Nova Physics book I'll be sitting pretty. I guess we'll see....

I also recommend the NOVA book. I've gone through half of it so far. I feel much more confident in my ability to tackle physics problems so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find the toughest thing with for me with the Kaplan Review notes is that they are really intended for review... so much info condensed in such few words.

I have to admit that I've been able to teach myself enough of the subjects I haven't even seen yet in Physics class just from the Kaplan material to answer most of the relevant questions correctly on my AAMC and Kaplan FLs, so I'm a fan. I'd say if you master the content in the Kaplan review notes, I can't really imagine you'd ever find yourself lacking in content-based tools necessary to tackle PS problems.

can anyone who has used the nova book post his/her actual physics score on the MCAT? thanks

If you can keep with it I heartily recommend the EK material. It is low on detail, but it does a great job of highlighting the highest yield concepts and formulas. Among other factors, I must say that the EK physics book played a huge role in my jump from 8 (Apr 06) to 14 (Jan 07) in PS. Best of luck.

Buy Nova....a lot better than examkracker....Aveces e pensado que existen personas que trabajan para ellos para decir que sus libros son mejores y postear en foros como estos...asi que cuidado!

Buy Nova....a lot better than examkracker....Aveces e pensado que existen personas que trabajan para ellos para decir que sus libros son mejores y postear en foros como estos...asi que cuidado!

Yeah, thats possibly true, but give credit where credit is due. EK was never desgined to teach you all of general physics. It is more targeted at those who already had physics in high school and in college, and its geared as just brush up of the concepts for them before they take the MCAT. Possibly even to demistify some stuff that was grey from the beginning.

Given wiseguy's comment, if the EK Physics book isn't working out from the beginning, it looks like the best method would be to do each chapter in Nova's Physics book first to get the concepts down, and then do the corresponding chapters in EK Physics to really master details and focus the physics formulas/tactics for the MCAT.

If I have time I'll do that. But for now, I think I'll just go through the whole Nova book first (taking the MCAT in mid-April).

Given wiseguy's comment, if the EK Physics book isn't working out from the beginning, it looks like the best method would be to do each chapter in Nova's Physics book first to get the concepts down, and then do the corresponding chapters in EK Physics to really master details and focus the physics formulas/tactics for the MCAT.

If I have time I'll do that. But for now, I think I'll just go through the whole Nova book first (taking the MCAT in mid-April).

I definitely supplemented the EK materials with outside stuff when I came across a concept that I'd completely forgotten since I last took physics 4 years ago. I used TPR, but I didn't find that very helpful beyond the sections I needed to relearn. In spite of the fact that EK tests only the material they cover, I think their practice passages are the most similar to the real deal. So if you have the EK books I'd recommend at least doing those 30 min exams even if you are doing some of your learning elsewhere.

Interesante... a veces me pregunto lo mismo! Pero prefiero creer que por fin todos quieren ayudar a cada cual que tiene pregunta o duda.

Well, I hadn't taken Physics II going into the MCAT - and I learned it 100% from the Kaplan PS Review book. I didn't even have a physics textbook to reference.

It worked well for me and I think might have even helped by not getting bogged down with extra information. I don't know if it would work for everyone, though.