MCAT prep course as a deduction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riceman04

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

A friend asked me if he could write his MCAT prep course as a deduction. I was not sure so I am asking y'all.

If you can, then I surely missed out b/c that class was very expensive

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a tax professional, but No Way! You can't even deduct the majority of college/higher ed tuition!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is not necessary because everybody knows that paying taxes is an optional activity. There is no true legal requirement to pay taxes in the United States.

:luck:

ditto what Law2Doc states. But actually you might be able to qualify for another tax deduction.

You have Lifetime Learning Credit, books and fees don't qualify as deductions. But under the Deduction for Higher Education Expenses, you might be able to qualify. Only thing is you can only take one or the other credit and I believe the Lifetime Learning Credit gives you more. I don't think that this would work unless you were already in school but hey, who knows.

But the short answer is no, you probably can't deduct it and I don't feel like reading the tax law to figure it out.

edit: Just looked it up, in order to qualify under the educational portion you have to be enrolled in an eligible institution "eligible educational institution is any college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the Department of Education." So while some people might find a way to deduct the expense from their taxes you can't do it using the "education" end of it.