shinny04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 9, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I was wondering if anyone can suggest me which MCAT prep course to take in LA area for July exam. I can't start the class until June and I pretty much have a month to prep for. My weakness is Verbal session. Thanks.

apc

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I was going to enroll in the Berkeley review course
But verbal isn't their greatest strength
If you get a chance you should check this out, hopefully if will help you decide;
A Panel Discussion with MCAT/DAT Test Preparation Companies

Type: Education - Workshop
Date: Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Time: 5:30pm - 7:00pm

Having trouble choosing which test prep. company best suits you????? Don't miss out this great informative event with test prep. companies!
Join PASHA on Tuesday April 13th for a Mega Panel Discussion with the representatives of four different test preparation companies: Berkeley Review, Kaplan, Princeton Review, and Swartwood.
Each company will familiarize you with the strength of their courses and what they are best known for.

You want more??? How about winning free raffles?
You have the chance to win one of the following great offers:
1 full scholarship, 4 %50 discount, and $100 discount for any admission test, supplement books, and much more.

I don't go to UCLA, so I doubt I can make it, but I think it will be useful to attend

plsfoldthx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I took Kaplan at westwood next to UCLA but I heard great things about Swartwood which is right next to Kaplan. Supposedly the main teacher there, John, is an amazing teacher and got a 44 on his MCAT and did equally well on LSAT and has a Ph.D. in math. Don't quote me on this, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

apc

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Swartwood reps will be at that discussion as well

JBruin

Class of 2017
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I took the Berkeley Review course a few months ago and have nothing but good things to say about it. I feel as though the in class instruction prepared me for the test well, the materials were excellent, and the online CBT's were very representative of the actual exam. Todd is a phenomenal teacher and really breaks down tough topics well, but just as importantly the rest of the instructors are very good. None of the instructors left me feeling unprepared or confused, and all of them seemed to genuinely care about you doing well and understanding the material.

I have not taken Swartwood's MCAT course, but I have taken course reviews from John and some of their other instructors, and I have a number of friends who took their course. John himself is a great teacher, very intelligent and easy to follow. I have found however that he sometimes oversimplifies topics to the point where you may not be able to answer a super detailed question that deals with the how or why instead of the what. The bigger problem lies in their other teachers, who I have heard are not as good, especially when it comes to O-Chem or Verbal. I personally have experienced Val's Ochem review and while I feel he did an okay job, I would not feel comfortable if I was a year or two removed from the material. Additionally, Swartwood does not provide their own materials or CBT's, relying mostly upon AAMC materials. This may have changed recently, but that is what I heard from friend's who took the course in fall.

I have not taken or experienced Kaplan, but I have not heard good things.

I have heard decent reviews on Princeton, but again have no personal experience.

Personally I would highly recommend Berkeley Review, but I encourage you to sit in on lectures from all the companies and make your decision then.