MCAT Prep-Physics Problems Recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themetalhawk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am preparing for the Jan. 29th MCAT and right now I think my worst subject (sans Verbal) is probably physics. I am tying up my TPR work for Verbal and will then move on to EK 101 Verbal. For Physics, I have finished all my TPR work (for the most part) but was then planning on getting another book to do some more problems in. I'd really like the TBR books, but as I understand they will take about three weeks to arrive (& considering I live in FL, maybe longer). So, I was looking for any recommendations?

Thanks,
themetalhawk

Members don't see this ad.

Just to bump this and check on some information I gathered:

Because I cannot get TBR (unless someone thinks it is reasonable to get it with the time I have left...), I think this is reasonable:
-Do NOVA Physics
-Do Physics practice on the wikipremed (for example, I plan on getting their flashcards)
-Do EK1001 in Physics just to strengthen my basic knowledge of physics concepts/problem solving abilities

Might the EK Physics review book be worth any of my money for understanding concepts better? Or should I just look at NOVA and review the TPRH physics book I have?

You could try picking up a used BR Physics from the For Sale forum on here. Doing so could get you the book much, much quicker. I'd really suggest trying to get it if TPRH isn't enough.

The three books you listed, along with your TPRH material, should be enough. EK Physics probably won't be helpful because EK's review books are mainly for people that only need a quick refresher.

NOVA is good for concepts. wikipremed physics made a lot more sense to me after nova. Wikipremed should reinforce those concepts for you, i found the wikipremed flashcards a great resource. EK physics 1001 is great for review. it mentions certain shortcuts that i found helpful. There were several questions on the MCAT that looked like they required calculation but all that was needed was an application of concepts to know the answer and i felt EK 1001 helped with those.

In terms of ordering TBR books at this time, forget about it. Last year it took about 26days to get it. This year, i sent out the check on the 3rd, got the books on the 28th. I actually got them a little early this last time. I think you should be good with nova, wikipremed and EK 1001. If you want to read the EK physics book, read it after you've read everything else. It's more for people who know the stuff and need just a 'review'.

Just to bump this and check on some information I gathered:

Because I cannot get TBR (unless someone thinks it is reasonable to get it with the time I have left...), I think this is reasonable:
-Do NOVA Physics
-Do Physics practice on the wikipremed (for example, I plan on getting their flashcards)
-Do EK1001 in Physics just to strengthen my basic knowledge of physics concepts/problem solving abilities

Might the EK Physics review book be worth any of my money for understanding concepts better? Or should I just look at NOVA and review the TPRH physics book I have?

I am preparing for the Jan. 29th MCAT and right now I think my worst subject (sans Verbal) is probably physics. I am tying up my TPR work for Verbal and will then move on to EK 101 Verbal. For Physics, I have finished all my TPR work (for the most part) but was then planning on getting another book to do some more problems in. I'd really like the TBR books, but as I understand they will take about three weeks to arrive (& considering I live in FL, maybe longer). So, I was looking for any recommendations?

Thanks,
themetalhawk

Your best bet would be to get the BR physics books used on either SDN classified or eBay. It is seriously worth the effort to get them, although you need to act soon to have enough time to work through them. Try to find the latest version, but if you can't get it, the older ones will work too.