MCAT prep question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just finished Organic II, and will be taking Physics this summer (I already have my degree, and I am just taking pre-reqs). I will also be taking Kaplan prep this summer, and plan on taking the August MCAT.
I was just wondering if anyone else has taken a pre-req class right before the MCATs, and did it help or hurt you? I tend to think that it might help since everything will be fresh in my mind, although my summer is going to be mad busy.
What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

the physics on the MCAT is very basic so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
the only downside i can foresee is that learning physics will take time away from studying for the MCAT but if you have a free schedule, otherwise, it should be manageable.

I took fiziks ( :) ) this spring and wrote the april mcat. I think it helped, especially since I hated electricity and magnetism and would have hated to study it again after taking the class. Everything was really fresh and I only spent a small amount of time reviewing the material.

I took orgo over the summer before my junior year and I didn't take any other science classes that year. Orgo was definitely my best subject on the MCAT since it was so fresh in my mind. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
With Organic Chemistry, the MCAT covers a great deal of second semester reactions. It is knowledge of the last month of Organic that separates test takers out like a sieve in the biological sciences.

If you plan to make the most of your Kaplan course, then you should be fine. Make sure you go to all the classes and make sure you spend some extra time on physics. I also recommend watching the review videos Kaplan has available... I think they are actually better than the classes... especially for people worried about their basic knowledge.

Good luck :)

If you've taken a class, become a tutor for other students before you take the mcat. you'd be surprised how much you learn as a tutor, it really helps review material.