MCAT PREP - Sep 12, 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freetelehealth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have been browsing the forum for quite a time, lets say about 3 years now, but never joined, but now I could not stay away. I want to make new friends here, and get as much as advice and tips etc which would enable and help me make the right choices, so guys, Thanks in advance.

I am taking Berekely Review Currently. The course just finished about 2 days ago. I have thoroughly reviewed the 8 books, except much about verbal. I have done many passages. So here is where am at currently.

1. Ochem - Know all concepts, well understood. (A+)
2. GenChem- Know all concept, well understood (A-)
3. Physics - Know all concepts, well understood (A-)
4. Biology - Know all concepts, well understood (A-)
5. Verbal - Dont know much, but need to improvae (B- or C+).....Being honest here

I took my first exam AAMC, I scored very low, here are the reasons why.

- Time was important factor for me. I was constantly panicking, and missing lot of easy questions, evnetually, about 25 questions, I could not get to finish.

- English section, did very very poorly, Only got 18/40 , which is very very POOR. :(

Outcomes:

I graded my exam, questions very very easy than I though, upon grading, I feel the exam itself is not hard at all.

Things to focus:

1. Take about 1 exam a day (atleast, and correct it thoroughly) , (FULL 1 Month)
2. Practice Verbal Passages every day, (7 Passages per hour), atleast 2 hours/Day (Full 1 Month)
3. Do 1 passage per section from BR Books, (some unfinished passages)

My feedback overall.

1. I feel prepared, although, concepts are very easy, I need to caliberate myself and make myself get used to this exam taking on computer, by taking one exam everyday.

2. Treat each exam like Real exam, and be very cautious about time.

3. Some of you guys advice take more practice exams, and get used to take exams 3 hours on computer, will really exam taking skills.

Although, I am very good with understanding material and applying it as well. So for rest full month, One exam per day, and treat like real exam.

What do you guys think?, any advice is welcome, specially, Verbal advice :)

Thanks alot.

Members don't see this ad.

summergirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This happens to a lot of people when they treat their MCAT like just another test. The concepts tested in the MCAT are not difficult at all, but you are required to know them EXTREMELY well in order to do well on the MCAT. This is because MCAT loves to test things in different ways that you've never seen before, and you can only ace it if you know the material inside out. Content review only presents you with one or two ways to solve a problem, and if the MCAT asks you using another way, then you either don't know how to do it, or spend too long trying to wrap your mind around it. So, do more practice problems, and you'll see your scores increase.

PS - To be completely honest, I don't think you should rate your understandings for science sections so high. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but the only people who should rate themselves that high are the people who are already scoring 13+ in the respective sections. Personally I'm scoring 12-13 on PS and BS and I would only rate my understanding of the science sections as B- ~A- depending on the topic. Now back to you, the reason you are not scoring high enough is you don't know your content well enough to do them when they are presented in a different way. This can only be fixed by doing more questions.

Last edited:

freetelehealth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SummerGirl,

First all all thanks for replying.

I know the concepts, inside out, I can even imply to concepts to body, real life experiences, taking every single knowledge from books to real life time experiences, I understand concepts, inside out, out inside :)

You are right, Need to do more practice exams and need to overcome, spend too much time wrapping around problems, you are right about that!. I would really appreciate it, if you can also share some verbal advice.

summergirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SummerGirl,

First all all thanks for replying.

I know the concepts, inside out, I can even imply to concepts to body, real life experiences, taking every single knowledge from books to real life time experiences, I understand concepts, inside out, out inside :)

You are right, Need to do more practice exams and need to overcome, spend too much time wrapping around problems, you are right about that!. I would really appreciate it, if you can also share some verbal advice.

Well I honestly don't know if I should be giving out any verbal advice since I'm only scoring 10-11s myself. There are plenty of other people who are much more skilled at verbal who may be able to help you better. However, if you are interested in knowing, I've done A LOT of passages. I would probably say ~250 passages.

Last edited: