MCAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrtsurgeon2b

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post the best tool(prep course or just books) that you found most helpful for the MCAT. :)

Members don't see this ad.

The Kaplan books (not the course) helped me more than anything else. That and tons of practice tests.

Practice tests

Members don't see this ad :)
dont even think about taking hyperlearning/TPR.. try getting their material from a friend if u can.. but if u take kaplan.. u are all set. do as many tests as u can. infact, that should be ur focus.. it depends how well u remember material from school courses. i wouldnt suggest spending time reading the concepts section of the review books.

good luck! :)

I would not call them the best tool, but I found flash cards very helpful. With so much material to cover, it is easy to grow rusty on one section while you study another. Flash cards keep the basics fresh in your head if you use them regularly. Try finding some on E-Bay, or even make your own. I did both and found it very helpful in the later months.

This above all: know thyself

Seriously, you gotta have a grasp of your basic knowledge in the material. Did you learn for the tests or did you really learn the info covered in your pre-meds? Many people are also more motivated and better-suited in a classroom environment with set times (taking a prep course).

For many of the independent studiers on here, one or two handed-down review books were sufficient for the background info. Now as for taking prodigous amounts of practice tests, that's the rule for all.

I'd recommend checking out half.com and ebay.com for used MCAT books. Especially now that scores are out and those that kicked ass (or decided they will never take it again) are selling them for REAL cheap. g'luck!