MCAT prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathologist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my freshman year of undergrad. Should I buy an MCAT prep book this coming summer and start studying for it or is that to premature? Also, any suggestions on which book is your favorite? Thanks
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

do it do it do it!!! use tpr!
sdm

Starting early is great but don't get too ovewhelmed in studying for MCAT if it may mess up your undergrad GPA. A good GPA is just as important as a good MCAT score.

I agree with fishtolive that Princeton Review are good books. Kaplan is nice as well. In reality, all the prep books do at least a decent job of giving you information although their example tests may not be as close to the real MCAT as they could be.

Also, to get used to practicing for the reading comprehension section, you can use any GRE prep books (there are about a dozen of those out there). The Reading Comprehension section of the GRE is very similar to that of the MCAT. All it takes to do well on Reading Comprehension is to practice. You soon get used to the types of questions asked and more importantly how to pick the "best" answer. And, since the science sections of the MCAT are really just science-related reading comprehension sections, if you're good at reading comprehension you can ace the MCAT. Kudos on your early interest in the MCAT and good luck to you!

[This message has been edited by mpp (edited 02-06-2001).]

I applaud your desire to start early. Mpp brought up a good point that I want to expand on. IMHO, I believe that its premature to start studying for the science parts of the MCAT. However, the verbal section is something you can work on now because review courses and books really can't help you with that. Reading critically is a skill you hopefully developed during high school to get you ready for college. If you need to work on that skills, you should start reading challenging stuff now. People will tell you to read the NYTimes and other great stuff -- just do it often.