Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MCAT prep

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by skeun, May 13, 2000.

1. skeun

skeun New Member

Which is best: Princeton Review, Kaplan, or Berkeley Review? Are there any more?

Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vnacyd

vnacyd Member

I really liked Hyperlearning. I think it may be a division of Princeton Review.

4. Sherry

Sherry Member

I took the Kaplan review course and a friend took the Princeton review course. Then we shared our materials with one another to get a broader perspective.

It worked! We both did very well on the MCAT and are both starting med school this summer. For a thousand bucks, think efficiently!

I really did not see any difference in the core materials, their approaches were different, and they both said their courses were superior and both had "statistics" to back their claims (imagine that!). Remember what ever course you choose, you will get out of it what you put into it.

Good luck!

5. doctor_sig

doctor_sig Member

I used Comlubia review and found it very helpful. Also, a good ready reference was called Jump Start for the MCAT (something like that) was incredibly helpful. It reviewed things you already knew but neded to be reminded of (chem equations, grammar, etc.) in a fairly condensed setup. Nice for quick checks. Don't hesitate to pull out your old textbooks and go through some important subjects there either!

Dr. Sig
    PM3

6. fiatslug

fiatslug Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Berkeley Review was excellent. The materials are great, but the thing that sets TBR apart is their teaching staff: most have 10+ years experience teaching, and you cannot stump them with questions. We had a guy in my class who taught SAT prep at Kaplan. He could have taken Kaplan for free but he paid for TBR instead. He also said if he did well (30+) on the MCAT, Kaplan would hire him to teach. Now this guy was a nice guy, and a smart guy, but he certainly didn't have a teacher's level of knowledge of bio, orgo, chem & physics. I highly recommend TBR!

Eileen

7. Lt. Ub

Lt. Ub Senior Member

Princeton Review jumped me from a score of 27 to 38 in 2 and a half months. But I definitely put my time into it. Course review materials are all the same. Just take a class that gives you many full length practice exams that are graded and tell you where you need to focus your study. I hated taking an 8-hour test every Saturday for a couple months, but hey, it paid off (it got me into schools I didn't think were possible).

------------------
    "They do certainly give very strange and newfangled names to diseases."
    - Plato