MCAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Was the MCAT prep course you took worth the cost?

• yes

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • no

Votes: 28 54.9%

• Total voters

Apparition

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating whether I should take the Kaplan prep course.
Studying on my own is usually more productive to me than going to lectures, so I'm just trying to figure out if I should prepare without any courses. If you've taken Kaplan or TPR, do you feel that the course was worth the cost?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the course was worth the cost, if only for the practice exams and the thoroughly analytical review of those exams that I got from the Princeton Review. TPR's exams were much harder than the actual MCAT, as well.

The big difference I noticed between Kaplan and TPR -- correct me if I'm wrong -- is that TPR started taking practice exams right off the bat, even before the classes started, every other one or two weeks. I think Kaplan started taking the practice tests later on.

**BUT** Kaplan got through the material first, and had about two weeks to review (review reviewing?) before the actual MCAT, while TPR finished the Thursday before the exam (more fresh on the mind...?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't take a Kaplan or PR prep course because I couldn't afford to take one. I was getting paid for research before but I converted that to credit during the MCAT semester so that I could take only 4 classes. I studied on my own with the Kaplan comprehensive book and the Examkrackers set, I took the exam, and I am extremely happy with my results.

If you can motivate yourself to study on your own, then I would definitely avoid the expensive prep courses. The only good thing about them IMHO is the practice exams but in my case, I was able to take a discount University MCAT course which administered 4 practice exams.

I think the course is worth it in the sense that it motivates you. Self-studying seems viable in principle, when it comes down to it, it helps to have a schedule, and stuff. But if you are super motivated with a good plan in mind, by all means, do it on your own.

I took a Kaplan course, and it was great for me. I hadn't had a lot of the science since high school (AP credits) and I had already graduated from college. I really liked having the structure of class two nights a week and topics to review and homework assigned, because it meant I was thinking about the MCAT 10+ hours a week from late January.
My PS score doubled (7->14) from the pre-test to the MCAT and my total score went up 9 points. I'm not sure how much the class helped with the writing sample, though, if at all.
All of that said, if I had had to pay for the course myself, there is no way I would have been able to do it. I am very fortunate to have supportive and generous parents.

Also- I had to pay for TPR's MCAT class myself, and was given a very generous "fin. aid" package from them... a hefty discount, and a nice payment plan for the rest.

hale-bopp, do you think your score would have gone up 9 points if you studied on your own 10 hours/week? I always wonder when ppl say that their scores went up after they took a course.

I think it also depends on what your major is. If you are a chem major for example, then you probably don't need to spend that much time on General Chemistry and Orgo whereas if you are a humanities major, then it may help to get a review of all of the topics.

I took the Kaplan course, and am not convinced it was worth the money. I think the best thing a person can do to study is take practice tests . . . lots of them. Then figure out your weak topics, and spend your time focusing on those topics. It worked for me.

I use the Examkrackers materials. I used the review books and the CD set and they helped out a lot. If you are close enough to one of the Examkrackers review locations, you could take their course as well. Only take a course if you cannot discipline yourself to study on your own.

I agree w/ ForensicPath. In particular, I loved the Examkrackers Audio CD set. I APed out of Chem in college so it has been about 3 years since I have taken general chemistry. Also since I am a commuter student (only 3 commuters in a class of 1000), I was able to listen to Chem lectures for 30 minutes a day while sitting in traffic. I didn't have too much time to study for the MCAT during the spring semester but listening to those tapes every other day helped me big time.

Originally posted by bigbaubdi
hale-bopp, do you think your score would have gone up 9 points if you studied on your own 10 hours/week? I always wonder when ppl say that their scores went up after they took a course.

I think it also depends on what your major is. If you are a chem major for example, then you probably don't need to spend that much time on General Chemistry and Orgo whereas if you are a humanities major, then it may help to get a review of all of the topics.

Would my score have gone up 9 points if I had studied on my own 10 hours a week? Probably, although most of my improvement was in the physics section, and I think Kaplan is really really good preparation for the Physics on the MCAT. Their stupid mini-quizzes were SO HARD compared to the actual test.

However,
Would I have started studying in January on my own? No way.

Would I have studied for 10 hours a week or sat through a full length practice test on my own? No way.

Would I probably have wasted time studying stuff that I didn't actually need to know for the exam? Probably, I think Kaplan does a really good job of telling you what's likely to be on the test.

A really disciplined person could certainly gain just as much on their own as I did from a Kaplan class. I am impressed by anyone who can make themself study 10 hours a week for the MCAT, on top of their other responsibilities.

Also, I had already graduated from college when I took the MCAT, so even though I was a science major, because I took most of the basic science classes in high school or my first two years of college, I really did need the review.

I'm not saying that the class is right for everyone, but if you can afford it, it makes preparing easier.

I think Kaplan is worth it only because it breaks everything you need to know down into bite-size segments, allowing you to concentrate on small areas at a time so that when you get to the MCAT, you've finished everything. I don't know anyone with the self discipline to do that sort of thing on their own.

Furthermore, I now teach for Kaplan, and realize, if I wanted to better on my MCAT, I shoulda taught these classes before taking it!!

On the other hand, the support and structure was so helpful, but I still didn't get the best MCAT PS score.

Going back to my experience with the MCAT, I studied like a fiend as soon as the fall semester ended. From about mid December to late January, I used all of my free time in between research and volunteering to study for the MCAT. During the semester, I didn't study anywhere near 10 hours a week - In February and March, I studied about 3-4 hours a week. I spent most of my spring break studying for the MCAT. About 4 weeks before the exam, I put in about 35 hours of work doing research so I could use the remaining three weeks for the MCAT (Normally I do about 15 hours/week of research). With 2 1/2 weeks to go, I basically ignored all of my classes, took off time from research, work, clubs and volunteer work and devoted most of my time to the MCAT. And throughout the semester, I listened to MCAT Audio cds on the way to class.

I am very happy with my MCAT score and my study plans but I can easily understand why people like the discipline associated with a prep course. If you plan early enough for it though, you certainly can do well on the MCAT without a prep course.

ask me in a few days

can you just buy Kaplan materials if you don't take their class?

Originally posted by Kix
can you just buy Kaplan materials if you don't take their class?

Yup. Certainly you can purchase the comprehensive MCAT book and it isn't very difficult to find people willing to sell their Kaplan books after they are finished with the exam.

I made up my own test prep and stuck to it... do what works for you. Most of these prep course are for people who need study discipline. If you are getting through undergrad/grad school with atleast a 3.6 you should be well off studying by yourself. As long as you can spot your weaknesses and build over it. take full length tests intermittently and spot each weakness and strengthen the weak spot. If you can do this... you should do really well on test day. should only take about 2 months of intense study... dotn burn yourself out.. about 3 to 4 hours a day is good enuf as long as you do soem constructive work..