MCAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elfinastone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an upcoming sophomore and I am wondering when would be a good time to enroll in an MCAT prep class if I intend on taking the MCAT during the summer of my junior year.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't enroll in one. Save your 2k$ and buy the books. All they do in the class is explain the books. If you want to hear someone teach go to wikipremed they have a ton of good videos. 2k$ is a lot of money to save, wish I took this advice. Spend two months making sure you know all the stuff in the examcrakers books, then tpr books, then if you can find berkely review. If you buy all these, assuming you don't have friend with them already, as well as all the practice tests, you'll still save more than 1000$ and won't waste time in group lectures going over material you already know. Just set a schedule and stick to it.

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

Use SN2's plan there's a sticky for it at the top of the MCAT section. You can do all of your prep for 600-800 bucks easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice Sinam. I'd never heard of wikipremed; the website looks really well set up.

It depends on the type of person you are. If you can discipline yourself, then I highly recommend to self study.
1. Its a lot cheaper! I bought TBR set for 340 new and sold it for 270 once I took the test.
2. You can customize your studying to your own schedule.
3. It can be a lot more efficient. You wont have to waste time going over material you already know in a class, and can instead learn stuff that you dont know as well.

But if your not the type of person that can force yourself to hunker down and concentrate then I would recommend a class. I havent taken one, but I think they offer in class tests which can be helpful if you wont be able to concentrate alone.