MCAT prep!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ts1991

UKCOM 2018
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To my shock, I actually couldn't find any new posts specifically discussing this. What in your opinion is the best exam prep book? I used a Kaplan and only got a 27, with a 7 in verbal. I'd like to focus on verbal of course, but what is your favorite company? I've heard good things about exam crackers..

Members don't see this ad.

What you need is a good collection of conceptual review materials and topical practice items. While the shorter MCAT books can be a valuable asset for giving yourself an overview perspective and practice, they aren't adequate on their own. In my opinion McGraw Hill and the Gold Standard are the best short books, but I don't think a person should try to rely on those for main content review, but for faster study cycles. Kaplan's book is more substantial, but it's not short enough for browsing and not long enough to be adequate. Kaplan practice passages are invariably good though.

The best comprehensive sets are ExamKrackers and The Berkeley Review materials. If you were going to study 2-3 months, I would recommend ExamKrackers, because Berkeley Review would be difficult to digest in that time period. For more ambitious MCAT Review, either set is good, but Berkeley Review will challenge you more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went with the EK set! You're not the first who told me they are good. I believe it comes with 5 books. Thanks for the advice. It claimed that I had plenty of practice problems but id like to do a few more practice tests and I've already taken all the AAMC's. Is there any other realistic practice test I can look into?

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the SN2ed plan. It involves mixing books from three different sources to maximize the quality of review and the passages. TS1991, the secret (and it's not much of one) to doing well comes with doing tons and tons of passages. You can review all you want, but the only way you imporve at taking an exam is to practice with questions in the format of the exam. Of the 144 questions on the MCAT, 118-120 of them are associated with a passage. So when you practice, you need 85% of the questions you do to come with a passage. Extracting what is relevant is an essential skill.

Also, Mr. Wetzel is too professional to plug his own site, but you should bookmark Wikipremed. Whether you use it in its entirety or just selected topics, you'll find it is both thorough and insightful. It is a great aid when reading about a topic just doesn't cut it.

Just do some research on these forums, there are plenty of threads about this.

My personal favorites are: TPR for content (except for Bio -- use EK) and for practice TBR (except for Bio - use the TPR Science Workbook if you can find it)