MCAT preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glsser

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many of you guys have taken those MCAT preparation courses? Do they really help? I mean, it's obviously beneficial, but $2000 is a bit too much.:mad: I'm thinking of doing all the revision by myself.

Members don't see this ad.

I took Princeton, and I would say that the Verbal lectures were great and their materials were very helpful.

If I were to do it again...I would just use the AAMC tests (they have more validity than kaplan and princeton anyways), buy the princeton/kaplan texts on ebay and go it alone. I postponed my test and ended up doing the last 15 weeks of prep by myself anyways.

I got a 31Q: PS 10 VR 11 B 10

As an aside, I once had the opportunity to ask a panel of Stanford medical students about their MCAT prep and they all responded that self study was the way to go.....but then again, they were at Stanford. :rolleyes:

I think the class is only worth it if you need a structured environment and would have difficulty setting aside time and studying on your own.

It is a ridiculous amount of money in my opinion to spend on a MCAT course, but anxious pre-meds are willing to fork it out.

I did Examkrackers complete package and the audio osmosis while moving across the country. I got a 36 (12 in each). So, if you are able to study on your own and actually spend time at it, I really do not believe the classes are worthwile.

Justin

I think the class is only worth it if you need a structured environment and would have difficulty setting aside time and studying on your own.

I second that. I talked to a ton of pre-meds the year above me and heard the same thing from everyone: if you're good at making a study schedule AND STICKING TO IT, just buy a set of books and tests and do the work. If you're the kind of person who benefits from someone else giving you a kick in the butt, then definitely take advantage of a class.

First off, as already mentioned, whether a course is helpful or not is personal preference.

Although you mention a course is "obviously beneficial," this really isn't the case. There are many times when a course is no better than simply studying by yourself. The main positive of a course is typically the amount of practice material. Yet, there are many ways to get enough practice material without coming close to the cost of a course. I will say this, if I could redo the months I spent studying for the MCAT, it would NOT include a course.