MCAT preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dyeb

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if I could receive some feedback on effective ways to prepare for the MCAT. I am a sophomore and have just decided what I want to do with the rest of my life. If I could receive some guidance on how to start preparing now and in the future it would be greatly appreciated.

I thought about purchasing the Kaplan guide to the MCAT. Please let me know if this would be a smart choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Prepare for verbal first because you have time. Read A LOT. Read novels, newspapers and magazines. If I had started reading a lot when I was a sophmore, I would have no problem now with my verbal score. Have you taken physics and ochem yet?

I decided late what I wanted to do; therefore, I am behind schedule and may graduate a semester or year late depending on a few things. I haven't taken either of those classes but will be in the near future. Furthermore, you know of anything in particular that can help with verbal, like a Kaplan study program or something? I just seem to be getting the run around here at school and can't get an answer on the best way to get to medical school and the best way to prepare MCAT. Any information that you can give to help propel me toward succes would be greatly appreciated.

Although it's great that you're thinking ahead, I wouldn't worry about studying for the MCAT yet until you have taken all the prerequisites for med school (1 year each of gen chem, physics, o-chem, and bio). You will need to have taken all of these to perform optimally on the test. Then you can look into review options like a Kaplan course (if you have the $$) when you are preparing to actually take the MCAT, or buying some of the many study materials that are available and studying on your own. If you are just curious to see where you're at now, you can take a practice MCAT at the AAMC website (www.aamc.org). For $10 you can sign up for the trial online MCAT and take AAMC III, one of the tests that has been released by the AAMC consisting of questions from previously administered MCATs. This website also has a lot of information for pre-med students that you may find useful (they are the organization that administers the MCAT and handles the AMCAS applications to med schools, in case you didn't know). Also, I would find out who the pre-med advisor is at your school and make an appointment to talk with him/her about your plans. Although pre-med advisors vary wildly in quality, they should be able to give you general info and advice about what you need to do to get into med school. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
how much has mcat changed since 2000? im thinking of getting mcat books online. someone is selling 2000 tpr books for really cheap. i know mcat has changed format a bit, but is it a big deal? would i be better off spending more money and get the updated version?

As a first step, I'd advise reading through the MCAT Announcement for a good overview and free sample questions.. then checking out the MCAT Student Material for more detail.