MCAT Procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhiana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone have a really difficult time with the testing environment? At our place they changed the room at the last minute, which wasn't a big deal, but they put us in this tiny conference room. We were cramed together, directly across from each other, and much less than arms length away. The person directly across had the exact same test and there was a lot of looking and cheating going on. SEating was completly by choice so people were sitting across from their friends. I felt very uncomfortable but didn't want to say anything. I don't know whether I should write anonomously to AAMC because it was a disaster and I would hate for this testing place to be allowed to test again. It was so unnerving trying to answer questions and the other person is looking at your answers and every time you cross your legs you accidentally kick someone. Any ideas on whether i should write or not.

Members don't see this ad.

I, too, had a bad testing experience, but not quite as bad as yours. That sounds awful, and very shady business was going on there. We had a separate room for afternoon and morning. I have no clue why. In the morning we had TINY desks, and the proctors kept on rustling papers and plastic wrappers throughout Verbal. They were 10 minutes late in the morning and 20 minutes late after lunch. And the next part is REALLY scary. The proctor forgot to tell us to write down our serial # so, in effect, he was estimated by where we sat what it was!!! He reassured us that it was fine, but I am still quite worried about it! If I were you, I would write, and not necessarily anonymously. I am going to write as well I think. Haven't decided yet. What do you suggest?

Hmm...I think I had one of the best experiences! I took it in 99' as a late register. They booked us at a nice hotel hall with all the tables facing the front of the room rimmed w/side skirts and comfortable chairs so I suppose I was saved from classroom style desks. Two test takers were allowed at each table in the air conditioned environment and brightly lit room. On each table was a glass pitcher of water, two glasses, pencils, pens and paper and a mint. They took the paper away though when after some consideration. Since there were extra desks, I took the option to take one for myself. During the break, the fountains and garden courtyard made for a nice relaxation nap. I never thought taking the MCAT could be so relaxing. I got home early since the administration flowed quickly and partied later!
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Praying4, I don't see any other way for AAMC to keep track of whose doing it right and who isn't. Are guys messed up our id cards because they forgot to have us sign the back. Thankfully someone said something so they handed them back at the end. They couldn't figure out how to set this alarm that they bought so the stupid LOUD alarm kept going off. I'm like not usually an anal person but I would hate for someone else to go through the same thing.

By all means you should write. The MCAT administrators have no way of knowing what went on unless someone tells them. If the situation was seriously compromised, they will not use that venue again.

You needn't write anonymously; in fact that may be counterproductive to achieving your aim. Nobody is going to try to prevent you from going to medical school.

I would definitely report it. They need this information in case somebody decides to file a lawsuit later about the test administration (at least that's what I've been told), but besides that, it's the cheating you mentioned that bothers me so much. Are these people going to cheat on their licensing exam, as well? In a profession where ethics is so important, I would not want to be one of their future patients...just my thoughts. Kate

I also had problems with the testing environment. This past weekend our university had a large student run celebration. Well, during the last 15 minutes of the Verbal section the parade started, with the band playing. I couldn't concentrate reading my final passage and had to re-read it over and over because the beat of the drums just rang in my head, stressing me out. Anyways, I could hear the band play until maybe 20 minutes into the Physical Sciences section. I think that in my med school application I will mention that, but will they take that into account? I am just really mad, I studied so much for the test and then a freaking band had to play in the background. I am also thinking about writing to the MCAT office.

jdsour: please, please do not mention the band in your med school application -- it will sound as if you're trying to make excuses for your performance, and this will NOT be well-received. I do sympathize -- a band, yeesh, not a good soundtrack for Verbal Reasoning -- but really, that was beyond the control of the test administrators. Outside noise is nothing unusual -- during my MCAT, they were doing construction right outside the window, and it invovled cutting through metal pipe with a circular saw. Aieeee!

I know you must feel immensely frustrated right now, but try to keep in mind that most test-takers had to fight against some kind of distraction -- knuckle-crackers, people yelling outside, marching bands, and especially their own anxiety. It should all come out in the wash.

I do believe, however, that problems caused by the people administering the test SHOULD be brought to the attention of the AAMC. There are very strict guidelines that they are supposed to adhere to, and if they're not, the AAMC should be informed. Reporting it will not affect your score, alas, but it might save future students from the problems you went through.

[This message has been edited by omores (edited April 24, 2001).]

My issue is simply that watching other people cheating and having to guard my answers( not that they were right) was just wrong. Noise i could deal with but the atmosphere was so antithetical to the spirt of medicine and the rules

Rhiana.

My comments about the noise were for jdsour, who had the misfortune of having a band playing outside the window during the MCATs. To me, that fell into the category of annoying-but-not-the-test-center's-fault.

Your situation is different, because the test center was genuinely to blame. A cramped space, people sitting across from their freinds, the person across from you having the same test form you do: this is a recipe for mayhem, and illustrates precisely why the AAMC has such specific mandates about seating arrangements. They know that so much is riding on the MCAT, and if people are given an opportunity to cheat, they may well do so.

I really think the people who administered the MCAT at your test center failed to live up to their responsibility, and they should be reported to the AAMC so they don't inflict this on future test-takers.

[This message has been edited by omores (edited April 25, 2001).]