MCAT Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what was dropped from the MCAT when they changed its form? Or how exactly it changed? I ask because I have the old MCAT test versions (not the 3R, 4R, etc) and am wondering how they differ from the real thing and whether or not i should buy the R versions.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Cerberus
Does anyone know what was dropped from the MCAT when they changed its form? Or how exactly it changed? I ask because I have the old MCAT test versions (not the 3R, 4R, etc) and am wondering how they differ from the real thing and whether or not i should buy the R versions.

I thought you already took the MCAT but maybe I'm getting you mixed up with someone. Anyhow, the changes as far as I know are:

1. You take it in a different order than before with PS, VR, WS, BS.
2. BS now includes genetics
3. VR has 60 questions (5 fewer than before)

I'm not sure exactly about no. 3 but I definitely know the VR has fewer questions now than it used to have. There may be more changes but I am not sure. I was really happy because although I never practiced on an unrevised version, I think these changes made it easier for me. I think they used to have BS first and that is my worst section so it's nice to start things off on a good note. I dind't take any bio so genetics was a great add because it is one of the easiest things to learn quickly. It's a pretty logical process so you don't get bogged down in too many strange details. The VR one probably didn't make a difference beucase I think you still ahve the same number of passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
BS also dropped some of the orgo topics (alkenes and some others) to accommodate the genetics questions.

Originally posted by ATPase
BS also dropped some of the orgo topics (alkenes and some others) to accommodate the genetics questions.

I didn't realize that! Hm. I wish they dropped bio stuff in place of genetics (which is bio) rather than orgo stuff.

Originally posted by ATPase

I was really hoping to hear "spectroscopy", since I never learned it and the practice exams i've taken seem to like it.

Originally posted by Chrisobean
they just switched verbal and PS around, so PS is first. and they dropped i think 5 q's from verbal, but the time limit is the same.
i think that's it. those old versions should be fine, you can just do it out of order.
i personally hated having PS first, not my favorite thing at 8am.

I guess I recall incorrectly cause I thought someone who took it before April 2004 said that BS used to be first.

I was really hoping to hear "spectroscopy", since I never learned it and the practice exams i've taken seem to like it.

Just memorize where fxnal groups occur on IR's and for proton NMRs you can use the splitting rules to deduce what's going on without really memorizing the shifts. I don't think they have C-13 NMRs on there at all. Just look in any orgo book and it'll explain. Just take a few minutes to memorize them.

I bought the AAMC online tests right before they switched over so I actually took some of both before and after the change. There was little difference between the two, other than the order of the questions. Actually I wouldn't have even noticed the difference if I hadn't tried to grade one of the old tests using the R answer forms. Both the old tests and the R tests are the closest thing I have encountered to the real thing. The physical and biological science sections predicted the actual score I got in those sections right on every time I took a practice test. I did 2 points better on the VR, probably because I was more careful and double checked my answers on the real thing.
I had thought the questions would be different because the online tests are old, but they are not only a good predictor of your score but very representative of the questions on the real MCAT.

Originally posted by gschl1234
Just memorize where fxnal groups occur on IR's and for proton NMRs you can use the splitting rules to deduce what's going on without really memorizing the shifts. I don't think they have C-13 NMRs on there at all. Just look in any orgo book and it'll explain. Just take a few minutes to memorize them.

Guess thats what i'll do. It's probably pretty easy stuff too, its just that I hate learning new information (hah, that sounds bad).

Cerb, here are specific topics on the MCAT. I know that this does nothing to narrow things down much at all (sorry). It essentially tells us to know everything, but don't expect everything to be on the exam.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/topics.pdf

In addition, the essentials document breaks down everything pretty well as far as the changes from the old to the new exam.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/essentials04.pdf

I think that it mght be best to invest $80 to access the rated R series online. They're definitely worth it, and even if the materials haven't changed too much, at least with online access you'd be able to get instant feedback tools that you wouldn't have with the paper exams you've got now.

Best of luck in your studies,
H&T

spec is fun man. if you like puzzles then you will like spec. and once you get it...it gets to be easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
bah! lab monkey work I say! Lab monkey work!

by the way...family guy rules man haha!

my kaplan class told us that the bio section is now ~ 35% orgo / 65% bio (switched from 50/50ish, due to the addition of a genetics passage)

The one spectro question i had on the mcat could be solved by matching the number of peaks on an H nmr with the number of hydrogens on a number of compounds, quite easy.

Originally posted by brats800
my kaplan class told us that the bio section is now ~ 35% orgo / 65% bio (switched from 50/50ish, due to the addition of a genetics passage)

That's very odd because although I didn't pay particular attention (didn't keep track of how many passages and what they were about) when I took it in April 2003, I remember thinking "thank God there's a lot of orgo on here." Maybe I was happy that there weren't that many discrete bio questions which made it seem like there was more orgo.

They also dropped electrophilic aromatic substitution from the bio section.

Originally posted by UCLAstudent
They also dropped electrophilic aromatic substitution from the bio section.

There's still EAS on the test, so make sure to know ur activating and deactivating groups well.

(Trust me, I teach the class)

If you can, look at the Examkrackers orgo study book. They point out the functional groups that are most likely to be in an MCAT NMR or IR, and if you don't know spectroscopy, at least you can memorize what they look like. It's not infallible and it doesn't beat truly knowing spectroscopy, but it would help.

PS first, then VR. break. Writing, BS last.

On the R versions...VR has 60 q's, not 65. PS unchanged. BS replaced some orgo with genetic stuff. they have the same exact questions except for some taken off in verbal and maybe a few changed on bio to genetics.

its worth buying the aamc online package! good luck.