MCAT Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrThom

Thundercat
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys...

Has anyone bought the Kaplan book with the two full length tests in it? I just did the first three passages of the PS and it kicked my a$$. Mind you, I have the the PS of the 3R, 4R and 5R tests and scored either 10 or 11 on em and then i get to the Kaplan test and I get 3 right out of 15 questions. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

Members don't see this ad.

Which is a good MCAT practice test book to buy though? i am confused :confused:

I would take TPR. It is way better than Kaplan.

Members don't see this ad :)
i used to teach MCAT prep classes and i always heard bad things about Kaplan.

TPR is mainly for review of content. when i took the course they never taught us strategies.

ide go with examkrackers.

Originally posted by DrThom
Hey Guys...

Has anyone bought the Kaplan book with the two full length tests in it? I just did the first three passages of the PS and it kicked my a$$. Mind you, I have the the PS of the 3R, 4R and 5R tests and scored either 10 or 11 on em and then i get to the Kaplan test and I get 3 right out of 15 questions. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

hey DrThom,

I took the Kaplan course (and I, unlike many people on this forum actually liked it), and I really, really struggled with their PS section........after taking 5 full-length practice exams, I never once finished a whole PS section on time (my highest score on that was like an 8)

Needless to say, this was a scary realization, so I worked my ass off, and the PS section ended up being my BEST section overall. So, don't lose all hope!!!:horns:

One of the other posts mentioned that TPR didn't do much strategy, which is basically true, although the VR section is mostly strategy (its not like they can teach you to read). Just my $0.02 on that part of things ... I'd recoomend taking TPR if you'd like a comprehensive review of the material. They also give you a zillion practice problems, homework, and a number of practice tests.

DrThom -- I don't understand what you mean by 3 right of 15 on a fully length test, is that just the first few passages you're talking about? I honestly wouldn't worry that much about it, since you've done well on the actual AAMC practice MCATs.

Someone else also asked about what book/s to buy... I like the PR materials I have now, and the Kaplan book I have is okay, but examkrackers is supposed to be pretty cool. They have some audiobook stuff which is supposed to be really great... I've looked at some on eBay before... might be worth a look. Although if you sign up for a class with either PR or Kaplan, you'll get more than enough material to work on, and read through.

Good Luck to everyone with studying... only a little more than a month left!

There is no need to worry. While I can't testify as to whether I am smart or dumb, the Kaplan PS is hard. I went thru the mini PS tests in the Kaplan Workbook and I average 50-60% right.

Good luck.