MCAT question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gilad guezcv

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of this interesting scenario. Just say a student took the old mcat and scored poorly on the exam(below 20) but then took the new mcat and scored extremely well. How would medical schools handle this.

Also with the new mcat coming up,med schools have begun to build a list of the last admissions cycle they would accept the old mcat. If you took the old mcat and did poorly(below 20) but decided to take a gap year to take the new mcat. After scoring well, you apply after the last admissions cycle a school would accept the old mcat. Does this mean a clean slate?

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine schools could still see previous mcat attempts and will still take that into consideration. That being said, most schools heavily weigh the most recent mcat score already.

I know this is anecdotal, but several people I know got interviews after a poor first mcat attempt (low 20's) because their second attempt was good (low 30's).

I agree with @wegotthis14 . The low 20s score will definitely raise some eyebrows, but if said student scores 32+ (or the new test equivalent), I don't think it will be an issue. Tell the "student" to be prepared to speak about it during interviews if it comes up.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school we'd probably average the percentile scores, and judge accordingly. It will still take a few years to figure out the results of the new MCAT.

I was thinking of this interesting scenario. Just say a student took the old mcat and scored poorly on the exam(below 20) but then took the new mcat and scored extremely well. How would medical schools handle this.

Also with the new mcat coming up,med schools have begun to build a list of the last admissions cycle they would accept the old mcat. If you took the old mcat and did poorly(below 20) but decided to take a gap year to take the new mcat. After scoring well, you apply after the last admissions cycle a school would accept the old mcat. Does this mean a clean slate?