mcat question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dillpicklechips

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: I plan on taking the mcat at the end of winter break and I'm looking to do a six month study plan. I'll be taking the mcat without Physics II.

1) What resources would you suggest for the C/P section or for self-studying optics, waves, EM etc?

2) How useful and indicative is TPR for someone with a low background in C/P?

I stupidly bought the set a couple months ago without comparing different companies. People have been saying that Kaplan is better.

3) Would EK and TPR be good enough for all sections, coupled with KA?

4) For practice tests, should I just stick to AMCAS? Were there any 3rd party tests that were very reflective of the actual MCAT?

sorry in advance if i missed a thread that addressed all of these questions

Members don't see this ad.

1. Personally, I thought the 2018-19 Kaplan Physics and Math as well as the General Chemistry review books did a good job reviewing concepts for the C/P section. Khan Academy also has a lot of great, free, videos that review optics, waves, etc.

I can't really answer questions 2 and 3 since I only used Kaplan and Khan Academy

4. The AMCAS tests are most reflective of the actual test but the Kaplan ones are good too. The practice problems on Khan Academy are an additional, free, resource that should be utilized as well.

Background: I plan on taking the mcat at the end of winter break and I'm looking to do a six month study plan. I'll be taking the mcat without Physics II.

1) What resources would you suggest for the C/P section or for self-studying optics, waves, EM etc?

2) How useful and indicative is TPR for someone with a low background in C/P?

I stupidly bought the set a couple months ago without comparing different companies. People have been saying that Kaplan is better.

3) Would EK and TPR be good enough for all sections, coupled with KA?

4) For practice tests, should I just stick to AMCAS? Were there any 3rd party tests that were very reflective of the actual MCAT?

sorry in advance if i missed a thread that addressed all of these questions

1) I made a 131 on real MCAT for CP: (I was very strong in orgo, and biochem...needed to learn from scratch physics and review gen chem) I **tried** to use Kaplan books for physics. Was a complete waste of time. Switched to Khan academy videos. Watched everything from there. Practiced with AAMC flashcards and I actually really liked NS FL. they had more representative physics based passages compared to the real mcat.

2) dont know anything about TPR

3) dont know anything about EK but KA was very useful

4) background info: I took about 12 FL. 4 NS, 1 EK, 3 Kaplan, all AAMC (3 + sample). I thought the AAMC FL was the most representative of course, but I liked NS too because they are experimental passage based and most similar to AAMC. EK and Kaplan not that great both in terms of style and content IMO

Last edited: