MCAT question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mishjtnyu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since i heard that just sitting for the actual mcat helps your score, i have a question... i am planning to take the august mcat. could i register/pay to get an admissions ticket to the april mcat and take the test but cancel my scores... ie. so that my test is not graded? I know for the GRE before you get your score, you have the option to cancel your test. Is this too true for the MCAT? Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can cancel your score up until the very end of the test.

But I would not advise it. Take practice tests, instead, under simulated test-day conditions. That's close enough.

If nothing has changed since I took the MCAT, you can take it and then cancel your scores at the end of the day. Practice does really help with the MCAT. Taking practice exams under timed conditions might be a less expensive way to go than paying to sit for the actual MCAT when you are just using it as a practice experience.
Good Luck to you.

mishjtnyu said:
Since i heard that just sitting for the actual mcat helps your score, i have a question... i am planning to take the august mcat. could i register/pay to get an admissions ticket to the april mcat and take the test but cancel my scores... ie. so that my test is not graded? I know for the GRE before you get your score, you have the option to cancel your test. Is this too true for the MCAT? Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Yes, you can cancel your test. In fact, towards the end of the test, you'll have a pretty good idea if you will do okay or terribly. I had a much better feeling on my second MCAT, and got 4 points higher on it. I could have cancelled that first test at the end or during the exam once I realized that I would do poorly on it, if I wanted to.

I also feel that I went up 4 points simply by taking the test a second time. I didn't prepare between both tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind though, that schools will know that you took it even though there's no recorded score. They may ask you to explain that.

dr1day said:
Keep in mind though, that schools will know that you took it even though there's no recorded score. They may ask you to explain that.
Not true. The following is from the MCAT Essentials document, page 16 (emphasis added):

Voiding Your Answer Documents
If you are not comfortable with your performance and do not wish your test to be scored, you must note this at the end of your examination. Your test will be voided automatically if you are not present for all sections of the exam, regardless of the circumstances. Voiding your scores on test day means that you will not receive scores. Scores voided on the test day cannot be “unvoided” at a later date. Furthermore, if you do not void your scores on test day, your test will be scored.

You cannot cancel your scores at a later date. If you void your scores, your participation in this administration of the MCAT will not be reported to AMCAS or to non-AMCAS schools. However, even if you void, you are regarded as having attended the test and, therefore, not eligible for a refund. Also, if you wish to register after having attended three or more MCATs (whether you voided your scores or not), you must request and obtain permission each time you wish to retest.

mishjtnyu said:

I agree with what others have already stated. its better to practice on your own in a timed, "as real as it gets" atmosphere rather than sitting in on the april 'CAT. First off, its a lot of money to waste if you simply cancel your scores. Youre better off practicing on your own on a saturday morning at 8 am, timing yourself, essentially following the same schedule as though it was the real thing. The advantage here is that you mentally prepare yourself for the real deal, not only in taking the test, but getting used to the early morning, etc.

Jonathan13180 said:
I agree with what others have already stated. its better to practice on your own in a timed, "as real as it gets" atmosphere rather than sitting in on the april 'CAT. First off, its a lot of money to waste if you simply cancel your scores. Youre better off practicing on your own on a saturday morning at 8 am, timing yourself, essentially following the same schedule as though it was the real thing. The advantage here is that you mentally prepare yourself for the real deal, not only in taking the test, but getting used to the early morning, etc.

But will it be counted as one out of 3 maximum exams you can take?