MCAT Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edvlzqz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am still quite aways from taking the MCAT, but I would like to know if there are any other courses besides the givens (bio,chem,phys) you may have found helpful for the exam. Are there any classes you would advise me to take?

Thanks

Sorry, I should have posted this thread on the MCAT forum (Newbie)

Members don't see this ad.

I had a really good genetics class, and I found that to be helpful (although definitely not necessary since basic genetics concepts are covered in general bio). Human physiology was also somewhat helpful.

Right on! I am debating between taking human physiology or mammalian physiology. I am not sure which one to take, though. Is there a significant difference? Is microbiology a helpful class?

Human Physiology would be more helpful. microbiology is helpfulo, yes. But, when I took the MCAT in August, I found a lot of material related to Genetics. So, I took Genetics in Fall, and I think if I had taken it before I took Genetics before the MCAT, it would have helped immensely. So, H. Physiology > Genetics >> Microbiology

Members don't see this ad :)
Human Physiology would be more helpful. microbiology is helpfulo, yes. But, when I took the MCAT in August, I found a lot of material related to Genetics. So, I took Genetics in Fall, and I think if I had taken it before I took Genetics before the MCAT, it would have helped immensely. So, H. Physiology > Genetics >> Microbiology

Excellent advice.

Any class that covers the MCAT material, but in greater depth would be of help. I'm a chemistry major so my only Biology classes will be GenBioI&II, but my upper-level chemistry classes (Physical Chemistry I & II, Quantum Chemistry, Quantitative Analysis, Instrumental Analysis) will greatly aid me in the Physical Sciences section.

I'm not sure if this applies to the Biology upper-level classes, but when you have to know every single derivation of entropy as a state function, you will tend not to miss a question that deals simply with G=H-TS. So, essentially, you will have to know the basic concepts (i.e. the ones that are on the MCAT) well to understand the deeper topics.

You can learn every concept you need to know from the test prep books. It's all basic science information that's usually less in-depth than you needed to know for your college intro courses. The only advantage in taking upper-level courses is that you may repeat some concept, so by the time you study for the MCAT you're repeating it for the third time. In other words it'll be easier to learn. Bio majors will spend less time reviewing the bio info and likewise for chem and phys students on those sections. In short, don't go out of your way to take those classes "in preparation" for the MCAT, but if your looking for Bio classes to fill your schedule, then those are good picks.

I found that Genetics (DEFINITELY!), Vertebrate Physiology I (Basically action potentials and the nervous system/eye), and BioChem are helping me a lot. I have a lot of friends in Vert Phys II, which covers the rest of the systems and I wish I would have taken that. All those classes are interesting and if you're looking for bio electives, they help a lot.