MCAT question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gator13doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am planning on taking the MCAT on the 23rd, but I might not apply until next cycle (2010) versus this upcoming one. If I take the MCAT this year and don't do as well as I would like, and then retake for next cycle, can the first score hurt me? Do the schools just average them, regardless of the timing? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It probably varies by school. They will see both scores. Yes, a horrific first score will certainly not look good.

Yes, a horrific first score will certainly not look good.

That depends. If you saw someone who got a 25 first time and then a 36 the next, would that first score REALLY look that "horrific"?

Members don't see this ad :)
would you rather take a student that had a 25 from a year ago and a 36, or a student with a 36? This is not a rhetorical question, but there is a correct answer. :D

would you rather take a student that had a 25 from a year ago and a 36, or a student with a 36? This is not a rhetorical question, but there is a correct answer. :D

A 36 is still a 36. If someone got a 25 then a 30, then I think your point is valid, but a 36 is high enough to dispel any notions of practice effect.

The logic I've heard behind the adcom's preference for one-time testers it that step 1 can't be taken multiple times. You need to pass it the first time around, or you'll have to repeat (the year, several courses? I'm not sure, but either way, it's bad). That's why they like to see those who score well the first (and only) time around.

The logic I've heard behind the adcom's preference for one-time testers it that step 1 can't be taken multiple times. You need to pass it the first time around, or you'll have to repeat (the year, several courses? I'm not sure, but either way, it's bad). That's why they like to see those who score well the first (and only) time around.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure you can take Step 1 multiple times...if you fail. If you pass it but don't get as high of a score as you'd like, you can't retake...but if you fail, you can.

This really only applies if you are bumping up your score a few points (less then 4 or so). If you do not have a competitive score in the first place, then you need to retake. However, if you are already in that 30-32 range, retaking and doing only moderately better hurts you more than it helps.

Just don't take the MCAT when you're practice scores have been a 25-26 thinking they'll magically become a 32 when your scores come back. Do not take the test until you are ready and your practice tests reflect that.

OP, I think the consensus from what I've read seems to be that, at most schools, both scores will be considered to some degree. Some schools average them. Some schools take the highest score, but still make note of your previous score. So, obviously it is better to take it once and do well, than to take it twice and only do well once. IMO, it would probbaly be best to take it once and do well, than to take it twice and do very poorly followed by exceptional.

My recommendation is always: take many practice tests the last couple of weeks before the test. If you consistently score near your target score, take the test. If you fall well short of your target score on most of the practice tests, don't take the test. Study more and do well the first time.

That depends. If you saw someone who got a 25 first time and then a 36 the next, would that first score REALLY look that "horrific"?
Well, it would seem evident that one score was a "fluke". I don't think they would automatically rule it to be the 25...