spikes

in the deep blue sea
2+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2014
219
276
Status
MD/PhD Student
Hi Guys,

Sorry I think I originally posted this in the wrong thread as most newbies do haha. So I am currently signed up for the January 10th MCAT (old mcat) and have been studying for about a month now. I am a little over half way done with my prep material and am feeling fairly good. However, I realized that taking the January 10th mcat will be my last chance to take the old version of the mcat. I want to give myself a chance to retake the test in case i do poorly, without having to study for a brand new test. For this reason I was thinking about taking the December 6th MCAT instead. Do you think this will give me enough time to register for another mcat test in January without all the spots filling up in case i find out my score is not what i wanted? Also would it be better just taking that extra month to prepare? And finally, what are your guys' thoughts on taking the mcat once than signing up and taking it again without getting your score yet in case you felt very poorly about the test (just because it takes 30 days to get a score and it may not come in time before the test dates end)?

Thanks for the help!!!!
 
  • Like
Reactions: cuapplication2017

popopopop

7+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2011
1,415
869
DFW/Houston
Status
Medical Student
A lot of us are in this predicament, because life happens so our plan to study 6-8 hours a day or any structure we have go through the window. January spots are SLIM pickin', only Guam testing center is left unless AAMC changes thing or you luck out. Even so, bet that the testing center won't be in your own state. I would stay with your January test date and study hardcore. I'm in a similar predicament with my November 7th test date, but I know that the Dec. 6th date would give me a better shot. My rationale right now is that if my original plan of getting a 2nd shot at the MCAT in January won't happen because no test centers, I might as well take the Dec. 6th test.
 
OP
spikes

spikes

in the deep blue sea
2+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2014
219
276
Status
MD/PhD Student
A lot of us are in this predicament, because life happens so our plan to study 6-8 hours a day or any structure we have go through the window. January spots are SLIM pickin', only Guam testing center is left unless AAMC changes thing or you luck out. Even so, bet that the testing center won't be in your own state. I would stay with your January test date and study hardcore. I'm in a similar predicament with my November 7th test date, but I know that the Dec. 6th date would give me a better shot. My rationale right now is that if my original plan of getting a 2nd shot at the MCAT in January won't happen because no test centers, I might as well take the Dec. 6th test.
I think you are definitely right I didn't realize how the January spots have filled up already (just saw a thread). I will be keeping my spot than, and I think it will give more time to study, especially during christmas break. Thanks for the reply
 
  • Like
Reactions: cuapplication2017
Dec 16, 2013
188
29
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi Guys,

Sorry I think I originally posted this in the wrong thread as most newbies do haha. So I am currently signed up for the January 10th MCAT (old mcat) and have been studying for about a month now. I am a little over half way done with my prep material and am feeling fairly good. However, I realized that taking the January 10th mcat will be my last chance to take the old version of the mcat. I want to give myself a chance to retake the test in case i do poorly, without having to study for a brand new test. For this reason I was thinking about taking the December 6th MCAT instead. Do you think this will give me enough time to register for another mcat test in January without all the spots filling up in case i find out my score is not what i wanted? Also would it be better just taking that extra month to prepare? And finally, what are your guys' thoughts on taking the mcat once than signing up and taking it again without getting your score yet in case you felt very poorly about the test (just because it takes 30 days to get a score and it may not come in time before the test dates end)?

Thanks for the help!!!!

Many of us January test takers have likely thought of this. Ideally I would like to take it 12/6 and then again in mid-late January if needed. However, that scenario is not likely unless you are VERY lucky and are willing to fly or take ferries or do some other kind of nonsense just to get to a testing center. So this should make it easier for you to decide that there is only one option here....keep your date and take it in January and make sure you are prepared as your ever gonna be b/c you can't retake it and you don't want any regrets. Good luck!