MCAT requirement for Australian medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radialz1982

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I am just wondering what's the MCAT requirements for Australian medical schools? I know you need a minimum of 8 in each section, but I am just wondering if a person get a 6 or 7 in a section or 2, would he still be accepted? Thanks.

Schools of interest are Sydney, Flinders, and Queensland.

Also, does anyone know about Australia National University?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think a few years ago, you may have been able to get away with a 7 in one section, but overseas applications from North America have increased considerably that I think they may be more strict about the 8/8/8/M cutoff. ANU's first class is this January, best to contact them for direct advice.

The University of Sydney still uses 'an aggregate score' with minimum of 24M. It's kind of late to apply in this year (I think the last interview in the US is in next week but contact Usyd). You have to do very well in the interview if you get barely +24M.

Apart from Usyd, other schools need strict 8/8/8M. For Melbourne, you need +30P!! which is the highest among Aust. post grad medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you have a MCAT score slightly below 24M? eg 22M or something or 20 with a Q in WS. Do you still get an interview? I checked their website, they mentioned about about applicants who have the MCAT score slightly below 24M might get considered.

Also.... is ANU a popular school???

I'm not "guru" on ANU but from what I've heard it's not a bad school...of course they haven't really test the grads.

I think that someone told me that the whole cirriculum was basically administered by UQ

As far as I know it's not meant to attract internationals yet and it's basically meant to ease the doc shortage in Australia.

But if unless you want to spend the next 4 years in Canberra stay away :) (j/k canberra isn't that bad)

My stepfather described Canberra as a government city (many government buildings and people employed by the gov). Makes sense since it is the capital. Apparently it is very clean and a relatively nice city but it is not on or near the ocean so for me that is a serious drawback. I think there is a manmade lake that is fairly large near the city that you could potentially do some windsurfing/kiteboarding on. As for the school itself who knows?

Lots of people re-write the MCATs so you may want to consider that once you have a specific school in mind or just throw in a last minute application and see what happens.

Hi, Flinders advertised both a 8/8/8 and also a 30. I think they have an absolute minimum of 8/8/8, but they generally want to see a 30. The comments I received earlier this year was that they would consider students with less than a 10/10/10 if the other qualifications seem decent (GPA, and perhaps volunteering [only the non-ACER form has those], activities, and stuff). You can get more info from their website too. Their website mentioned that if you fail to meet their requirements on a section of the standardized exam (i.e. MCAT or GAMSAT), the admission committee can decide to allow you to interview based on your other qualifications. I believe this is for the 10/10/10 rather than 8/8/8 limit, though I remember reading someone got in with a 7 in a section.

Tony Edwards (admission chair) was the one who emailed me when I asked for a target MCAT score. He said a 10/10/10 and O will probably grant me an interview (I think it was a stronger word, but less than guaranteed). He said that they will consider something less like a 28, but also only if none of the section scores are below an 8. I beat the 10/10/10 requirements so I was relieved I didn't have to worry about it. :) I recommend a retake if you got a 22. Like many people's advice to Lexy, etc... I strongly urge those with a lower MCAT score to retake. You really only need the basics, and not be nervous on exam day. The rest are just the ability to problem solve. Good luck!

Hmm... I don't see anything on their webpage on cut-off points. They have a section on the "special entry" thingy for those not meeting their MCAT cut-off though. Maybe I'm hallucinating, or it was in the ACER booklet. Well, you shouldn't take anything we say as absolutes. Best to check them out yourself. Good luck and apologies if there were misleading info.

Not really much to add - just to agree with the others. If you've less than a 24M, and don't have some OUTSTANDING (and I mean stellar) qualifications otherwise, you have a pretty slim chance of being accepted at any of the Aussie schools.

If you're sitting on a 20 or so, better retake the darn thing because that will hinder you greatly at most schools which require the MCAT, IMHO.

Try Monash, they don't require MCATs and they are only five years.

If your MCAT scores aren't that good you could always investigate the undergrad schools....your degree will probably increase your chance of acceptance there.

Originally posted by crackerj
Apart from Usyd, other schools need strict 8/8/8M. For Melbourne, you need +30P!! which is the highest among Aust. post grad medical schools.

Keep in mind that Melbourne, while maybe requiring 30P, doesn't use the score beyond cutoff (i.e., interview determines acceptance); while for the other schools, MCAT score is still weighed in the final hour (Flinders:MCAT=1/3 score; USyd:MCAT used for tiebreaking interview scores; UQ:MCAT=1/2 score). In other words, a 24M (cutoff) requirement for all practical purposes could easily become a 30P (acceptance) requirement, thus it cannot be automatically inferred that Melbourne has the toughest MCAT requirement (just the highest cutoff, as crackerj reports).

-pitman

But that's only if you are applying to Melbourne as a post grad, if you apply as an undergrad (which doesn't matter because it's still the same amount of time) you will not need your MCATs....Of all the Unis though I have to agree that Melbourne is the toughest, not only because you are competing with other N.American students but mainly because you're competing with the Malaysians who usually have straight A1's in their A levels...

Originally posted by redshifteffect
Try Monash, they don't require MCATs and they are only five years.

If your MCAT scores aren't that good you could always investigate the undergrad schools....your degree will probably increase your chance of acceptance there.

Thanks redshiftedeffect!

but Monash doesn't take people who are already attending universities, not to mention university graduates

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by radialz1982
Thanks redshiftedeffect!

but Monash doesn't take people who are already attending universities, not to mention university graduates

They'll never know if you don't tell 'em ;)

I'm only suggesting this if your high school marks are good though...

Also if you don't mind an extra 2 years I know there are some 6 year schools that will take you even with a university degree, and they definately will not require an MCAT.

Try the following:

Western Australia
Uni of Adelaide
James Cook
University of New South Wales
University of Tasmania

Finally if you can't get into any of the above go to New Zealand, there you will have to do one year of health sci and if your marks are good you can either transfer to a med school (undergrad 5/6 years) in Australia or you can go directly into their med schools

Try
Otago
Auckland

Good luck.

Not telling them you've completed uni might seem like a good idea, but if and when they find out, don't cry foul if you get expelled for dishonesty. My advice, don't do something that stupid, even if you can get away with it.

Pill Counter -- I just PM'd you, re: UQ..

-pitman

Originally posted by The Pill Counter
Not telling them you've completed uni might seem like a good idea, but if and when they find out, don't cry foul if you get expelled for dishonesty. My advice, don't do something that stupid, even if you can get away with it.

That was a joke!!!

There are plenty of other undergrad unis that will take you with or without a degree...

http://www.med.monash.edu.au/medical/entry/

Also r u sure monash won't take you in with an undergraduate degree? I think the deal is they won't care about your undergraduate degree, because they won't give you credit. They will look at your highschool marks...

For Melbourne, they only select 10 students for interview in this year (I called them) and 10 people will get an offer. That doesn't mean all 10 students will get in but students who failed an interview will be replaced by undergraduate students (from high school).

To summarise, according to what I have got so far, it seems that if you get +30 with the minimum of 8/8/8, you will have a very good chance to get into Aust. schools provided that you get more than the score of 3 in an interview (an interview in Australia (postgraduate) is graded as a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being the highest and 5 being the lowest).

It is very surprising that recently (correct me if I am wrong though), you need +30 to get into most of postgraduate Aust. schools. The admission requirement of Aust. schools is becoming equivalent to most of the med schools in the US (for example, the national 'matriculant' average in the US is 30, according to recent statistics).

I think this may reflect that many people who took MCAT (mostly from North America) are coming to Australia.

I do not know whether the standard to get into Aust. med schools will become even higher from now after a few years.

For reference, however, while the MCAT standard in Aust. med schools is pretty much equivalent to the most of the US schools, the 'cut-off' GPA is still lower (5.5/7.0, which is 3.1/4.0, if converted to 4.0 scale).

I'm just trying to summarise the trend for the admission requirements of Aust. postgraduate med schools and hopefully if what I said is correct. Please correct me if I am wrong but what I wrote is what I have heard during 4 years of living in Australia.

For Melbourne, they only select 10 students for interview in this year (I called them) and 10 people will get an offer. That doesn't mean all 10 students will get in but students who failed an interview will be replaced by undergraduate students (from high school).

Doesn't Melbourne allow more than 10 international med students per year?? If it does then as I said the best thing to do would be to apply as an undergraduate, depending on your highschool marks.

And to redshifteffect, according to my knowledge, Monash does not accept students who got undergraduate degree/or even studied for a year in the uni.

I'm applying to ~10 med/dent schools in Australia, both undergraduate and postgraduate schools. Monash medical school is considered to be one of the best in Australia and indeed I would like to apply for the university. However being an undergraduate student who will finish the degree in the end of this year, I cannot apply to Monash. Even if with high school results, you have to get very top percentile to go to that university.

Still, there are many undergraduate med schools, as you pointed out before, which accept international students with an undergraduate degree.

James Cook is another university that does not favour students with an undergraduate degree. If you send an email to them for information, you will get 'try to apply to post-graduate med schools' and they will 'kindly' tell you the list of schools.

For ANU, the medical school will be firstly established from next year. Hence the facility and everything will be new if you want to go to ANU. ANU is considered to be one of the best universities for scientific research such as neuroscience. However as you may know, that does not guarantee whether or not the medical school will have a good quality. In my opinion, if you want to go to traditionally established medical schools, you would better go to other medical schools than ANU, since ANU is yet to be established.

Hopefully this would help.

crackerj,

Didn't know about the Monash rule, but it doesn't make sense (to me). Anyway thanks for the info.

But as you said there are a lot of well established undergrad schools out there. Personally I didn't go to Monash/Melbourne mainly because of the cost of living in Melbourne and the tuition fees of the universities.

R u planning on staying in Australia after you graduate?

Hey redshifteffect, how do you know about the Malaysians applying to U of Melborne? I am surprised if they are getting straight A1s and still choosing to go to Australia. From my understanding, they usually go for UK and Ireland schools. Those taking the Malaysian A-level (STPM) would try to stay back in Malaysia for cheap education (in the hundreds of USD) and those who take the British A-levels will go overseas. And from my understanding too, many actually have pretty marginal A-level scores, like a BBC (err... three subjects, a B, B and a C, not British Broadcasting Corp :) ) would be the cut-off score for admittance in many unis and yet there are quite a lot of students who have to retake the A-levels for admission.

Also for Australia, I would have thought U of Syd would be their first choice, and Melbourne is their second choice.

Just wondering how you know ;).

To summarise, according to what I have got so far, it seems that if you get +30 with the minimum of 8/8/8, you will have a very good chance to get into Aust. schools provided that you get more than the score of 3 in an interview (an interview in Australia (postgraduate) is graded as a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being the highest and 5 being the lowest).

I don't think all the grad schools use a simple 1-5, but certainly some do. It may be that a mean or median interview score w/ 30P will give good odds (keep in mind that most the Aussie grad schools claim to weigh Writing Sample as much as the verbal and science scores, while US schools usually only look at the outliers).

It is very surprising that recently (correct me if I am wrong though), you need +30 to get into most of postgraduate Aust. schools. The admission requirement of Aust. schools is becoming equivalent to most of the med schools in the US (for example, the national 'matriculant' average in the US is 30, according to recent statistics).

I think the actual number should be viewed with caution -- the 30 is the best guess from students and applicants w/anecdotal evidence, as the schools are very secretive compared to the US schools about their admissions stats.

I think the best way to interpret the 30 is not that you *need* it, but that if it is accurate as a number, then like in the US, a 30 seems to do a good job of getting you in (assuming you didn't flop interview or wgpa), or to be more scientifically valid, that a 30P with average interview and average wGPA scores would get you in. The actual number could be off a little, but I think has merit since it's in accordance with the observable trend (extrapolating from what students report for earlier years the perceived increases in standards, applicants, etc.).

But, the scores trend is represented with few data points (few samples and few years); those early acceptances we know about this year are precisely those who you'd think would have higher scores; and who *ends up* in Australia in this year of seemingly record high applications has yet to be entirely seen. This could be the year that Aussie schools use the extra apps to focus on increasing the variance of interview scores (this would place more real weight onto interview over GPA, interestingly without even requiring a change from a 1-5 score system..think about it).

I think this may reflect that many people who took MCAT (mostly from North America) are coming to Australia.

Aside from MCAT takers, Singaporeans are also big this year. And there are many qualified ones.

I do not know whether the standard to get into Aust. med schools will become even higher from now after a few years.

I don't think it's a coincidence that US (and arguably UK) medical system policy is becoming more receptive to IMGs (e.g., USMLE for all, EBM and other equalizing standards propagating) and that many additional respectable offshore grad schools have opened their doors to foreigners in the past 7-8 years (both are arguably 'caused' by the Industry, which depends on many, many IMGs..potential schools and their governments then need only anticipate the need).

Also consider that for much of the West (and former territories!) outside of North America, 4-yr grad programs (e.g., in UK and Australia) are a relatively new concept and thus are just starting to catch on.. meaning scores will rise as marketing catches up (I have a lot of anecdotal evidence that says the Aust. schools could vastly improve their marketing) and as, for example, members of the Commonwealth wake up to the possibility that career change after high school is possible (similar reasoning applies as in the finding that it takes several years AFTER a recession starts before US med school applications rise).

But yes, I think scores for the better grad schools (e.g., most if not all in Australia) have nowhere to go but up.

For reference, however, while the MCAT standard in Aust. med schools is pretty much equivalent to the most of the US schools, the 'cut-off' GPA is still lower (5.5/7.0, which is 3.1/4.0, if converted to 4.0 scale).

GPA cutoff is not a uniformly applied term, so I'm not sure how it can be compared to what's found in the US. Do you mean a lower *average* unweighted GPA for those accepted (I'd agree with this)?

First, note that there are varying methods that the Aussie schools use to define (weighted) GPA (the number they actually report), most commonly but not always by weighing later years more heavily, but with many applicants this gets overly complicated and the schools use 'other' methods. Because US schools alternatively report average *unweighted* gpa for acceptance and/or admittance, how each one weighs internally is also not known.

Second, Flinders, for example, has no wGPA cutoff per se, since it "officically" weighs 1/3 wGPA, 1/3 interview, 1/3 MCAT. Of course, this means the lower the wGPA, the higher the other two must be, so the question comes down to some potentially knowable statistic like GPA required for 50% or 90% chance of acceptance (all else being equal implied). However, having said that, Flinders veers somewhat from the 1/3 rule for GPA for int'l candidates, for the next reason:

Third, Australian schools have chosen to realize that comparing GPA across nations is all but impossible and so have decided instead to have a somewhat safe cutoff that rids only the worst achievers while relying more heavily on more standardized (or standardizable) methods as MCAT (another possible reason for the apparent quick rise) and highly structured interviews. US schools on the other hand don't report GPA scores for their int'l pools and surely have similar problems, with unknown solutions, for dealing with them.

Having said all that, Australian grad schools are starting to get a certain type of American (and likewise MCAT) candidate. Due to lack of total acceptance of the schools by American applicants (partly due to marketing, partly to newness, partly to lingering stigma and America-centrism, etc.), they seem to get many students who would not get into most US schools due to (relatively) LOW GPA. For example, a white student with a 3.1 but respectable MCATs (30) most likely won't get into one of the better US schools, and so may choose to go to Australia rather than to a ho-hum US school. Additionally, a WS score of `R` will help a lot in Australia but only a little in the US. As a result I'd bet that Australian schools have a smaller variance in numerical MCAT score than the typical US school (fewer super high scores, comparable median score), along with a lower average (unweighted) GPA.

But with trends as they appear, all the Aussie stats will continue to improve as the schools are accepted more and better students have fewer reasons not to venture abroad (e.g., when more of the world adjusts to grad programs, when all US docs have to do USMLE, etc.).

Of course, all this is just theory and conjecture.

-pitman

Originally posted by tl47
Hey redshifteffect, how do you know about the Malaysians applying to U of Melborne? I am surprised if they are getting straight A1s and still choosing to go to Australia. From my understanding, they usually go for UK and Ireland schools. Those taking the Malaysian A-level (STPM) would try to stay back in Malaysia for cheap education (in the hundreds of USD) and those who take the British A-levels will go overseas. And from my understanding too, many actually have pretty marginal A-level scores, like a BBC (err... three subjects, a B, B and a C, not British Broadcasting Corp :) ) would be the cut-off score for admittance in many unis and yet there are quite a lot of students who have to retake the A-levels for admission.

Also for Australia, I would have thought U of Syd would be their first choice, and Melbourne is their second choice.

Just wondering how you know ;).

Hey tl47,

I got into both Melbourne and Monash and so I went to "check" them out before I decided b/w Hobart/Melbourne/Monash.

I know about the Malaysians because I met a lot of them there. In undergrad schools in australia you will find that the majority of internationals are Malaysians. Melbourne is where most of them prefer to go mainly because it's a big city and also has a very good reputation.

Yes a lot of the Malaysians with A1s go to the UK, but the exchange rate of the Pound sterling makes this an unattractive option for them. On top of that the Australian degree is well regarded in Malaysia, and it's close proximity (only 8 hours from KL vs. 15+ hours to London) makes it easy to go back during holiday breaks.

I'm not sure where you are getting your info about the levels of the Malaysians..but everyone in my class (the Malaysians anyway) has A1s...and that on their first time. The competition for international spots even for undergraduate admission is very tough esp. at Melbourne.

The thing you have to realize is that most people in Malaysia have a stigma associated with getting a Malaysian degree, and thus prefer to get it from the Outside and then return. So in terms of competition there are a lot of malaysians in every major university in Australia, simply because they want their degrees from outside thus this drives the level of competition up.....

That being said, I'm sure Australian universities prefer diversity, so if you apply with non Malaysian qualificiations ie. Non A level qualifications I'm sure you still have a good chance of getting in.

About U of Syd that is actually their last choice. Most Malaysians do their A levels...therefore have no previous degree....so they would prefer going to an undergrad school first.

Hi redshifteffect, thanks for the reply. I guess like you said, for those on this thread, those from Singapore and Malaysia probably doesn't affect them, since they are going for undergrad, so they are not competing with people taking the MCAT, and less so if they don't come from those countries. Interesting to know how well they are doing in Australia. BTW, I have nothing against them, you can be sure of that. I hope you found them to be friendly and all too.

Hi redshifteffect, thanks for the reply. I guess like you said, for those on this thread, those from Singapore and Malaysia probably doesn't affect them, since they are going for undergrad, so they are not competing with people taking the MCAT, and less so if they don't come from those countries. Interesting to know how well they are doing in Australia. BTW, I have nothing against them, you can be sure of that. I hope you found them to be friendly and all too.

tl47,

Yeah true most ppl. from N. America will never be competing against them....unless they decide to go to an undergrad school.

However that being said I still think that even average MCAT results and a decent GPA may be good enough to get you an interview at some undergrad schools, only because I think they want some diversity...ie they like to admit some "mature" age students as well.

tl47...just out of curiosity do you know much about Singapore? Someone here (my housemate) told me that this degree is recognized in Singapore, and that doctors there work a lot less and make more money with less taxes....do you know anything about this??

Pitman, it seems that you know heaps about Aust. postgrad medical schools.

Yes it is true that for some schools, GPA is weighted with a year of study, such as in Usyd but not in Flinders or UQ. In THAT sense, the calculation of GPA may not be 'uniform'. But overall, Aust. schools use the same conversion chart, specified by ACER.

5.5/7.0 is the GPA that is needed to get an interview. I do not think no one knows the average GPA of 'matriculants', since some schools (e.g. Flinders) consider GPA in their 'final' decision, some schools do not (e.g. Melbourne).

For an interview, I know that Sydney and Melbourne do use 1-5 scale. I do not 'feel' that Flinders uses the scale of 1-5, but I don't know.

There is an increasing trend that many students from Singapore 'apply to' Aust. med schools. However I do not think this fact is correlated significantly with increasing the standard of MCAT in Aust., since for example in Usyd, the number of students from Singapore is limited to 5 in each year (that's what they specified).

Since people from countries other than the US territory or Canada usually take 'computerised' MCAT (from this year), it would be interesting if we consider this fact as well.

For redshifteffect, Melbourne has both undergraduate and postgraduate and you have to study for a year or less in the university if you want to apply as undergraduate. Hence Melbourne has only 10 spots for postgraduate (while 60 spots for PR/citizens).

For redshifteffect, Melbourne has both undergraduate and postgraduate and you have to study for a year or less in the university if you want to apply as undergraduate. Hence Melbourne has only 10 spots for postgraduate (while 60 spots for PR/citizens).

Crackerj,

I got into Melbourne without one year of study but this was a couple of years back. If you are talking about the "foundation" program in Trinity then I believe that this was only a requirement for people who's qualifications weren't up to par, or didn't have the marks to get in right away.

I had OACs when I applied and that was fine.

Pitman, it seems that you know heaps about Aust. postgrad medical schools.

Just a researcher trying to be informed ;). I'm applying this year to three of them, so it's all still rather fresh in my mind.

Yes it is true that for some schools, GPA is weighted with a year of study, such as in Usyd but not in Flinders or UQ. In THAT sense, the calculation of GPA may not be 'uniform'. But overall, Aust. schools use the same conversion chart, specified by ACER.

Sort of...

Flinders does officially weight with year of study, looking at the last three years, but because this is often problematic, and sometimes impossible (my transcript, for example), they unofficially are trying other weighting schemes and looking at gpa a little less than 1/3 for int'l students.

Also, the schools do not really use the conversion chart specified by ACER to calculate GPA or wGPA (I asked ALL of them b.c. of my screwy transcript) -- this is another area where they have given themselves a little wriggle room in case they want it. I think the simple conversion of fractions is the same (since a simple conversion of fractions), but nothing else that ACER describes on their forms for calculating wGPA of domestic students applies to the int'l students.

For example, the official way most of them weigh GPA is by year-level. But not many American colleges define course by year-level. Some have "beginner" and "advanced" courses (two rather than the sought 3 levels), others do not even distinguish these. Further, most students do not take as many advanced as beginner courses in a program, so it's hard to justify just weighing them by saying (2*advanced+1*beginner)/3. There are a number of possible ways to alternatively weigh gpa which I won't get into, but choosing one over another is arbitrary (and the schools know this).

5.5/7.0 is the GPA that is needed to get an interview.

Only USyd and Melbourne report the 5.5/7.0.

UQ reports 4.5/7.0 and ANU reports 5.0/7.0, while Flinders has no "official" cutoff but there are obviously decreasing chances as gpa drops.

Also, when pressed the schools will say something like "that was last year's cutoff, and we reserve the right to change it this year", which means it could be higher (or lower, in theory) this year for int'l students (in fact, with its interview invitations, USyd has of late been sending out a disclaimer saying that due to increased/late apps, the MCAT cutoff and gpa cutoff have not even been determined -- now that's REALLY odd, since gpa is supposed to only count towards determining whether you get an interview..if they're consistent, this also means that members on this forum who've gotten offers already must all have GPAs and MCATs significantly higher than the approximate cutoffs, which is common sense, since the best candidates usu. get offers first..)

There is an increasing trend that many students from Singapore 'apply to' Aust. med schools. However I do not think this fact is correlated significantly with increasing the standard of MCAT in Aust., since for example in Usyd, the number of students from Singapore is limited to 5 in each year (that's what they specified).

Before this year, only USyd was recognized by Singapore as an acceptable grad school (presumably b.c. USyd is the oldest (previously undergrad) med school). So USyd's MCAT scores won't change much if any (this itself won't affect N. American candidates there at least).

But let's assume that 5 is far fewer than the number of highly qualified Singaporean candidates.

Now those students can apply (and are applying) to the other grad schools. Those other schools are going to take some of them, increasing ave. test score (assuming their scores are above the ave.), BUT also leaving fewer (and thus more competitive) spots for, e.g., N. Americans.

Now apply this reasoning to the over-achievers of the rest of Asia, where 4-yr grad programs are generally still sorta a new concept...

-pitman

Originally posted by pitman
Before this year, only USyd was recognized by Singapore as an acceptable grad school (presumably b.c. USyd is the oldest (previously undergrad) med school). So USyd's MCAT scores won't change much if any (this itself won't affect N. American candidates there at least).

But let's assume that 5 is far fewer than the number of highly qualified Singaporean candidates.

Now those students can apply (and are applying) to the other grad schools. Those other schools are going to take some of them, increasing ave. test score (assuming their scores are above the ave.), BUT also leaving fewer (and thus more competitive) spots for, e.g., N. Americans.

Now apply this reasoning to the over-achievers of the rest of Asia, where 4-yr grad programs are generally still sorta a new concept...

-pitman

Pitman,

About Singapore this really fluctuates every year. We got some more Singaporeans in my school this year, but last year I believe we had very few. That's only because every year "on a whim" Singapore decides to recognize/not recognize the Australian degree. I think since they are having a doctor shortage there as well in the long term they will probably recognize the degree, but the actual number of Singaporeans that apply each year really depends on what the gov't says.

If Singapore's acceptance of schools fluctuates periodically, then the direct effect on scores will only be a short-term trend. Strange thing is I was told by one of the other grad schools that this is a new thing (or maybe just new with the grad schools?), and as a result there are many new high quality apps coming from there.

Maybe we can get Pill Counter (UQ) and trkd (USyd) to weigh in on this?

-pitman

If Singapore's acceptance of schools fluctuates periodically, then the direct effect on scores will only be a short-term trend. Strange thing is I was told by one of the other grad schools that this is a new thing (or maybe just new with the grad schools?), and as a result there are many new high quality apps coming from there.

Maybe we can get Pill Counter (UQ) and trkd (USyd) to weigh in on this?

-pitman

Yeah mainly Singaporean students were interested in undergraduate schools, but as I said things are changing more people are doing previous degrees and so it becomes tougher and tougher each time.

Another thing to remember is that for these people going outside Singapore/Malaysia is seen as "prestigous" so rather than sending people who couldn't get in to Singaporean schools they are sending their best students...which ups the level of competition up a lot.

(Not to say it's impossible to get in though)

Wow. Interesting thread of discussion. To redshifteffect, sorry but I'm not so sure about the medical profession in Singapore. I only have word of mouth that the doctors there and in Malaysia make tons of money if they have a specialist degree, so you will need more than the BMBS/BMMS or whatever it is called in your school. One reason is there is no insurance system (at least not in Malaysia), and thank goodness for that. I think someday US med system will collapse with the amount of middle-men trying to grab money, especially insurance (with the lawyers and all). Healthcare for common problems is quite cheap there too, although special problems requiring special surgery, etc. becomes prohibitive as a result (no insurance).

Interesting. I had no idea the best of the country are all leaving because of prestige problems in their own country. :)

Wow. Interesting thread of discussion. To redshifteffect, sorry but I'm not so sure about the medical profession in Singapore. I only have word of mouth that the doctors there and in Malaysia make tons of money if they have a specialist degree, so you will need more than the BMBS/BMMS or whatever it is called in your school. One reason is there is no insurance system (at least not in Malaysia), and thank goodness for that. I think someday US med system will collapse with the amount of middle-men trying to grab money, especially insurance (with the lawyers and all). Healthcare for common problems is quite cheap there too, although special problems requiring special surgery, etc. becomes prohibitive as a result (no insurance).

Interesting. I had no idea the best of the country are all leaving because of prestige problems in their own country. :)

yeah that's what I heard too about making $$$ in singapore/malaysia...but as you said you need the post grad training from somewhere....

Interesting aside - i heard that if you approach the Malaysian gov't and work in their hospitals for a couple of years they will send u to the US/UK to get your training even if you're not a citizen...any truth in this?

I'm pretty sure malaysia will take US training but what about Singapore?

Also do you know anything about the lifestyle in these countries? thx in advance.

I'd also like to learn more about all this..potential for practicing in Malaysia or Singapore. Does anyone have any related URLs?

red, your hours are like mine, or maybe the inverse ;) .

What do Malaysian and Singaporean med students do after graduating from Aussie med? Do most do the sorts of things you've been describing in order to secure (er, fanagle) a residency, or do they get differential treatment by the Aus. govt., or do they return home for res.?

-pitman

red, your hours are like mine, or maybe the inverse ;) .

What do Malaysian and Singaporean med students do after graduating from Aussie med? Do most do the sorts of things you've been describing in order to secure (er, fanagle) a residency, or do they get differential treatment by the Aus. govt., or do they return home for res.?

-pitman

LOL i'm just trying to keep my options as wide open as possible.

As far as I understand Malaysian students if they don't want to stay in Australia and want to return to Malaysia must first serve a mandatory 3 year contract with a gov't hospital....you don't get paid a lot compared to Australian internships but the cost of living there is so cheap; so its a good amount.

After that you apply to do a residency training program, or you can become a GP right a way. For the residency they usually send you to the UK/US or you do it right there in malaysia.

The important thing is you aren't going to make $$$ working for the gov't but by opening your own practice...

In Singapore if the Aussie degree is recognized (depending on which year it is...lol) then you can go there and do your internship for a year. After that you can apply for a residency in a position you're interested in.

To tell you the truth a lot of Malaysians and Singaporeans are very clever... I didn't know about this PR, RMO business until they told me about it....they really know their sh1t.

So yeah they know a lot of the "loopholes" if that's what you mean....when you come here make friends with some if you want some good advice. ;) As far as I know a lot of the Malaysians are in Australia, and a fair few end up returning to Malaysia.

Yeh, Singaporeans/Malaysians are smart in looking for ways. But not of them are that way :).

Sorry I have no further information that I can share concerning the working situation in Malaysia/Singapore in the medical field. However, a few things I think seems suspect:

1. I doubt they actually send people to UK/US for specialization training. Probably something you have go for on your own with the hospitals supporting it (i.e. allowing you to take off and return). Please double check!

2. The wages for doctors in Malaysia when working in the government hospital used to start lower than a teacher's salary, so be careful, because I don't think their cost of living is that low --- the salary during residency is probably barely adequate to survive! I am not sure about Singapore. I heard though that some of the hospitals there are high tech and even has wifi. I remember stumbling on a Wifi (or was it PDA) website for Malaysian doctors or something like that. Pretty cool. Here in US, I have not seen a wifi equipped hospital yet. (Not where I volunteer for sure!)

3. Be aware of the culture and reasons why some of these people end up staying back in Australia. Maybe it is the political/racial climate in Malaysia? The people in Singapore like to use the word "kiasu" which means "scared to lose". It is a very competitive place, not necessary a nice place to live/work for some people. Also some Americans may cringe living in a pseudo-police state. Singapore is a small country and so enforcement of laws tend to be a lot more stringent. Malaysia is Islamic even though non-Malays have freedom of religion, and might have some unique laws on religious practices (e.g. Mormonism, radical forms of Islam and Christianity, Jehovah Witnesses are illegal) and such. Just be aware of these.

Thanks for sharing all the many finds though, RSE. I'm sure there are few others in the forum that has the info you have shared.

Yeh, Singaporeans/Malaysians are smart in looking for ways. But not of them are that way :).

1. I doubt they actually send people to UK/US for specialization training. Probably something you have go for on your own with the hospitals supporting it (i.e. allowing you to take off and return). Please double check!

The way I understand it is that if a foreign government fund your education in the UK/US you can do the training there...I know this is definitely the case in the UK, but I'm not sure about the US. (What I mean is that the Malaysian gov't will pay the UK hospitals for your training)

2. The wages for doctors in Malaysia when working in the government hospital used to start lower than a teacher's salary, so be careful, because I don't think their cost of living is that low --- the salary during residency is probably barely adequate to survive! I am not sure about Singapore. I heard though that some of the hospitals there are high tech and even has wifi. I remember stumbling on a Wifi (or was it PDA) website for Malaysian doctors or something like that. Pretty cool. Here in US, I have not seen a wifi equipped hospital yet. (Not where I volunteer for sure!)

The average pay for Malaysian doctors working for the hospitals is about 3000 ringits per month..is that enough to survive in malaysia? Also there is no doubt that working for the gov't is not the way to go, but my housemates tell me you only have to work for them for 3 years...any info on this?

3. Be aware of the culture and reasons why some of these people end up staying back in Australia. Maybe it is the political/racial climate in Malaysia? The people in Singapore like to use the word "kiasu" which means "scared to lose". It is a very competitive place, not necessary a nice place to live/work for some people. Also some Americans may cringe living in a pseudo-police state. Singapore is a small country and so enforcement of laws tend to be a lot more stringent. Malaysia is Islamic even though non-Malays have freedom of religion, and might have some unique laws on religious practices (e.g. Mormonism, radical forms of Islam and Christianity, Jehovah Witnesses are illegal) and such. Just be aware of these.

I know Singapore is very competitive...but didn't have the knowledge of M'sia...thanx for the info!

P.S. are you living in Singapore now?

RSE, I will be PM'ing you.

Originally posted by redshifteffect
Doesn't Melbourne allow more than 10 international med students per year?? If it does then as I said the best thing to do would be to apply as an undergraduate, depending on your highschool marks.

Wait a sec...Does this mean, that regardless of having an undergraduate (ie college level) degree, if I wanted to apply to Melbourne, I could apply using simply my high school transcript?

I'm still not getting the difference between Undergraduate and graduate, post graduate (all terms related to Australia and other countries).

Anyone care to enlighten me please? :confused:

Jade Tigress,

In Australia, there are schools that do undergraduate entry programs (or whatever the formal term is) for people graduating from high school to immediately embark on a medical program. These will usually be 6 years in length. Then, there are the graduate entry programs, which require a person to have a 3 year plus degree (i.e. B.S. or B.A.) prior to entry. These program(me)s will usually be 4 years in length.

This is not unlike US, despite many threads on such topics now. (Those threads have turned into mud-slinging contests by the way. :laugh: ) In US, we have the Accelerated medical programs in many schools, where an exceptional high school student can enter a specialized undergraduate program which will allow them to continue into a medical program after their second year in the special program (and they will be taking about 18 credit hours per semester, and must maintain a high GPA like 3.5+... which isn't really that high compared to many who apply to med school later! And they skip the MCAT). This would be similar to the Oz's 6 year programs in many ways, including the duration, and the fact that they go directly into a form of medical school from high school.

The graduate entry would be more common in US, and is also what is starting to be adopted in Australia (and UK). It has many advantages, I think. One of them includes the ability for people to see the world, and learn something other than medicine prior to devoting their whole lives to this career. But with or without the Bachelors, I think a person would turn out to be a great doctor if he/she has the heart to help and heal people. I.e. it's not merely the education, or which great school you ended going to, but the individual that determines which program(me) is better.

In Australia, the graduate entry programs are frowned upon somewhat for several reasons. One is: it is assumed that you go for a graduate entry program only after you failed to enter an undergraduate program. (Amusingly, in US we would think that an undergraduate entry program must have a lower standard due to less years, even if we have Accelerated programs.) The second is: the graduate entry program has been introduced quite recently there, and people might be worried about how the removal of 2 years of medical school would affect the quality of the student; or how well the schools have adapted from a 6 years to 4 years, despite having the BS/BA requirement.

Some schools offer both undergraduate and graduate entry in Australia. Some others only offer one of the two kinds.

You *might* be able to apply as an undergraduate with just your high school transcript and whatever other exams they require --- BUT you will be studying 6 years (or 5 in some schools). Few would want to pay the extra 2 years and spend that extra 2 years if they already have a Bachelors... not me for sure ;).

Hope that helped. I am going for a graduate entry program in Australia. I think I gave a decently fair summary of the different program(me)s. Good luck with whichever you choose!

Hope that helped. I am going for a graduate entry program in Australia. I think I gave a decently fair summary of the different program(me)s.

Yep, nice summary tl47.

Apologies for this, as I'm getting confused with all the recent announcements..where you be at next year? I have about a week to decide.

-pitman

Flinders, I just remembered. :)

-pitman

You got that right :). The only school I applied to. So, what's your decision?

Hint: Hope to see you in Oz. :D

tl47, that was very helpful. Thank you.

Yes, I agree. It is funny that Australians would frown upon not entering Medical school straight from Highschool as that seems to be the norm for the majority. In the US, its often very hard and very competitive to enter those 6yr med programs. I believe I did apply to one during my high school years. Most med students enter medschool only after accomplishing a BA.

As for getting another BA when I already have one, yes, no thank you. I shelled enough $$ to a perfectly good university here in the US and do not have any intention to do so again. =)

I was just curious about that ( applying to Australian programs) with Highschool transcript.

One other question: I believe in another thread, (might have been someone on this thread, not sure) posted that there would be a "bias" towards ANUers, because its a post grad university.
How does that fit into your explanation of graduate and undergraduate, seeing as ANU's medical program is the same as Usyd's or UQ's?

--Lates!

Originally posted by Jade Tigress
tl47, that was very helpful. Thank you.

Yes, I agree. It is funny that Australians would frown upon not entering Medical school straight from Highschool as that seems to be the norm for the majority. In the US, its often very hard and very competitive to enter those 6yr med programs. I believe I did apply to one during my high school years. Most med students enter medschool only after accomplishing a BA.

As for getting another BA when I already have one, yes, no thank you. I shelled enough $$ to a perfectly good university here in the US and do not have any intention to do so again. =)

I was just curious about that ( applying to Australian programs) with Highschool transcript.

One other question: I believe in another thread, (might have been someone on this thread, not sure) posted that there would be a "bias" towards ANUers, because its a post grad university.
How does that fit into your explanation of graduate and undergraduate, seeing as ANU's medical program is the same as Usyd's or UQ's?

--Lates!

Jade Tigress,

I don't think it's fair for you to judge the Australian system without actually experiencing it. Keep in mind a couple of things

1) It is not the norm for ppl. to get into med school after doing a bachelors degree, this is a common misconception that many north americans have...the world isn't centred around North America last time I checked. The UK/S. Africa, NZ, Aus etc. all have high school entry.

2) I too (non US citizen) got into both undergraduate medical in Aus/Ireland and accelerated medicine in the US. I chose Australia mainly because of the price but also because I wanted the option of being able to practice in Australia if I liked it there. Let me tell you that other than having to write the SAT 1 and SAT II for the US I found both universities to be equally competitive. If I got in easily into Australia I would have had no respect for their program and would have simply gone the US route (and been in quite a bit of debt)

3) I think this whole debate is similar to the DO/MD debate. The fact of the matter is that many Australians who go the post grad route do so because they don't get in as Undergrads. Until that changes the respect garnered for these ppl. will be the same as that for DOs...someone somewhere will always have a thought in the back of their mind that you did this b/c you couldn't do the other. (No disrespect to DOs or Post Grads). As tl47 said most registrars/consultants/PDs here are undergrads and in the end it's your interviews and the school you went to that counts. There are no marks (most schools don't even give them after basic sciences) no standardized tests or anything else to base anything on. So as an international wanting to stay in Australia you are at a disadvantage already, and it just makes it a bit harder as a post grad to stay but not impossible.

4) U Syd and UQ are post graduate unis. If your intention is to stay in Australia I'm only warning you (in fairness) that even though ANU is based on UQs program its grads haven't been tested. That's where the bias comes into place...the advantage of U Syd and UQ is that they are all more established.

5) As for applying with highschool transcripts a lot of undergrad schools (except Monash apparently) will allow you to apply with your post grad transcripts as well. You will not get any exemptions (esp. since you are an English major) but you may be a more competitive applicant. The thing to keep in mind is that in some cases the difference is only 1 year between Post grad and Under grad schools...and in the end it depends on what your future plans are.