MCAT requirement for Australian medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
[Originally posted by redshifteffect

I don't think it's fair for you to judge the Australian system without actually experiencing it. Keep in mind a couple of things

Redshifteffect: I was not judging the Australian system. Actually, it was quite the opposite. I am not familiar with the Australian system and hence, my hesitation, but excitement at potentially going abroad. Arguably, there are however, issues I should take into consideration, and one of them is the reputation (or, in other words, how my prospects look about getting a residency stateside, if I so choose, which is not yet determined). I am sorry if I came off that way. My apologies. I am simply trying to glean information, which SDN, discovered very recently is doing a wonderful job of saving me going through countless books and webpages.

1) It is not the norm for ppl. to get into med school after doing a bachelors degree, this is a common misconception that many north americans have...the world isn't centred around North America last time I checked. The UK/S. Africa, NZ, Aus etc. all have high school entry.

I[I have not said, nor do I believe that the world is centered around North America. I myself, although born in the US, am Asian, with strong connections to my ethnic country. I am once again, just trying to understand what is not familiar to me.

2) I too (non US citizen) got into both undergraduate medical in Aus/Ireland and accelerated medicine in the US. I chose Australia mainly because of the price but also because I wanted the option of being able to practice in Australia if I liked it there. Let me tell you that other than having to write the SAT 1 and SAT II for the US I found both universities to be equally competitive. If I got in easily into Australia I would have had no respect for their program and would have simply gone the US route (and been in quite a bit of debt)

3) I think this whole debate is similar to the DO/MD debate. The fact of the matter is that many Australians who go the post grad route do so because they don't get in as Undergrads. Until that changes the respect garnered for these ppl. will be the same as that for DOs...someone somewhere will always have a thought in the back of their mind that you did this b/c you couldn't do the other. (No disrespect to DOs or Post Grads). As tl47 said most registrars/consultants/PDs here are undergrads and in the end it's your interviews and the school you went to that counts. There are no marks (most schools don't even give them after basic sciences) no standardized tests or anything else to base anything on. So as an international wanting to stay in Australia you are at a disadvantage already, and it just makes it a bit harder as a post grad to stay but not impossible.

I am not sure yet if I want to practice in Australia as my knowledge is very little about the country, but I am very hopeful and excited at the possibility of going there for my medical education. As was stated before, the PBL form of learning appeals to me greatly and hence, I would love to learn in a curriculum based on that rather than the boring and tedious lecture-style of my undergrad years. I know about the supposed stigma attached at going intl for a medical education (the Residency Director of EM at my school told me this), but I have little worry about this notion.

4) U Syd and UQ are post graduate unis. If your intention is to stay in Australia I'm only warning you (in fairness) that even though ANU is based on UQs program its grads haven't been tested. That's where the bias comes into place...the advantage of U Syd and UQ is that they are all more established.

I am well aware of this (brought to my attn by another poster here). I only wanted in all fairness, an honest opinion about the school's reputation for ANU itself. I understand the medical school is in its first year of establishment, but I look at that not as a handicap perse, but an opportunity, a pioneering if you will. And, for other well established programs such as Usyd and UQ, they all had to start somewhere, yes? =)

5) As for applying with highschool transcripts a lot of undergrad schools (except Monash apparently) will allow you to apply with your post grad transcripts as well. You will not get any exemptions (esp. since you are an English major) but you may be a more competitive applicant. The thing to keep in mind is that in some cases the difference is only 1 year between Post grad and Under grad schools...and in the end it depends on what your future plans are.

THis was simply one of those, "Wait a minute, totally didn't get something because I had never head of it, curiousity questions." I find it interesting, perhaps "funny" was the wrong word, because its different from the US and I believe I misunderstood the first time around. I was not trying to knock anyone's opinion about the schools. I hope that clears up the air. I meant no offense.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Jade Tigress
[Originally posted by redshifteffect

I don't think it's fair for you to judge the Australian system without actually experiencing it. Keep in mind a couple of things

Redshifteffect: I was not judging the Australian system. Actually, it was quite the opposite. I am not familiar with the Australian system and hence, my hesitation, but excitement at potentially going abroad. Arguably, there are however, issues I should take into consideration, and one of them is the reputation (or, in other words, how my prospects look about getting a residency stateside, if I so choose, which is not yet determined). I am sorry if I came off that way. My apologies. I am simply trying to glean information, which SDN, discovered very recently is doing a wonderful job of saving me going through countless books and webpages.

1) It is not the norm for ppl. to get into med school after doing a bachelors degree, this is a common misconception that many north americans have...the world isn't centred around North America last time I checked. The UK/S. Africa, NZ, Aus etc. all have high school entry.

I[I have not said, nor do I believe that the world is centered around North America. I myself, although born in the US, am Asian, with strong connections to my ethnic country. I am once again, just trying to understand what is not familiar to me.

2) I too (non US citizen) got into both undergraduate medical in Aus/Ireland and accelerated medicine in the US. I chose Australia mainly because of the price but also because I wanted the option of being able to practice in Australia if I liked it there. Let me tell you that other than having to write the SAT 1 and SAT II for the US I found both universities to be equally competitive. If I got in easily into Australia I would have had no respect for their program and would have simply gone the US route (and been in quite a bit of debt)

3) I think this whole debate is similar to the DO/MD debate. The fact of the matter is that many Australians who go the post grad route do so because they don't get in as Undergrads. Until that changes the respect garnered for these ppl. will be the same as that for DOs...someone somewhere will always have a thought in the back of their mind that you did this b/c you couldn't do the other. (No disrespect to DOs or Post Grads). As tl47 said most registrars/consultants/PDs here are undergrads and in the end it's your interviews and the school you went to that counts. There are no marks (most schools don't even give them after basic sciences) no standardized tests or anything else to base anything on. So as an international wanting to stay in Australia you are at a disadvantage already, and it just makes it a bit harder as a post grad to stay but not impossible.

I am not sure yet if I want to practice in Australia as my knowledge is very little about the country, but I am very hopeful and excited at the possibility of going there for my medical education. As was stated before, the PBL form of learning appeals to me greatly and hence, I would love to learn in a curriculum based on that rather than the boring and tedious lecture-style of my undergrad years. I know about the supposed stigma attached at going intl for a medical education (the Residency Director of EM at my school told me this), but I have little worry about this notion.

4) U Syd and UQ are post graduate unis. If your intention is to stay in Australia I'm only warning you (in fairness) that even though ANU is based on UQs program its grads haven't been tested. That's where the bias comes into place...the advantage of U Syd and UQ is that they are all more established.

I am well aware of this (brought to my attn by another poster here). I only wanted in all fairness, an honest opinion about the school's reputation for ANU itself. I understand the medical school is in its first year of establishment, but I look at that not as a handicap perse, but an opportunity, a pioneering if you will. And, for other well established programs such as Usyd and UQ, they all had to start somewhere, yes? =)

5) As for applying with highschool transcripts a lot of undergrad schools (except Monash apparently) will allow you to apply with your post grad transcripts as well. You will not get any exemptions (esp. since you are an English major) but you may be a more competitive applicant. The thing to keep in mind is that in some cases the difference is only 1 year between Post grad and Under grad schools...and in the end it depends on what your future plans are.

THis was simply one of those, "Wait a minute, totally didn't get something because I had never head of it, curiousity questions." I find it interesting, perhaps "funny" was the wrong word, because its different from the US and I believe I misunderstood the first time around. I was not trying to knock anyone's opinion about the schools. I hope that clears up the air. I meant no offense.

I doubt anyone is offended by anything you said so don't worry about it :)

Another big misconception is that under grad schools are not using PBL, but quite a few are already using that...and even lecture time is kept to a minimum with only about 15 hours contact time in a week (depending on your school).

If your goal is to return to the States (which I wouldn't place too much emphasis on until you have experienced it here) I doubt you will have any problems with ANU.

The good thing is that unlike in the caribbean where some new schools can disappear overnight you can be sure that this school will be here to stay. I doubt that the education/teaching will be different than any other Australian School. You might just get bored in Canberra :)

Cheers

As an Australian, i totally disagree with the conception that Australian's frown upon graduate entry medicine, i dont know where you got this from, but i can tell you it is definately not the case! If someone asks what course you study at Uni (for instance a work collegue) and you mention medicine, then you will have their instant repect.
They aren't going to ask which Uni, and what's more is they definately aren't going to know whether that particular Uni is a post grad program (such as Usyd) or an undergrad program (such as UNewcastle). Let alone know what the difference is. Personally i consider myself to be pretty much in touch with what's going on, but i didn't even know of graduate entry medicine programs in Australia until my first year of Uni, let alone the difference.

The fact is everyone recognises that undergrad entry straight from high school is gained by only the very most elitist students, the entry requirements are mind blowing (University of New South Wales: UAI requirement was 99.65 when i finished highschool, out of a possible 100). Graduate entry is easier to get into because it simply needs to be. Otherwise we would have universities teaching medicine, but no students to teach it to.

Australian's are as caught up in rankings and reputations as far as US citizens seem to be. Bigger is not necessary always better, and better is not always best! This is not the US!

Take care!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Johnny69
As an Australian, i totally disagree with the conception that Australian's frown upon graduate entry medicine, i dont know where you got this from, but i can tell you it is definately not the case! If someone asks what course you study at Uni (for instance a work collegue) and you mention medicine, then you will have their instant repect.
They aren't going to ask which Uni, and what's more is they definately aren't going to know whether that particular Uni is a post grad program (such as Usyd) or an undergrad program (such as UNewcastle). Let alone know what the difference is. Personally i consider myself to be pretty much in touch with what's going on, but i didn't even know of graduate entry medicine programs in Australia until my first year of Uni, let alone the difference.

The fact is everyone recognises that undergrad entry straight from high school is gained by only the very most elitist students, the entry requirements are mind blowing (University of New South Wales: UAI requirement was 99.65 when i finished highschool, out of a possible 100). Graduate entry is easier to get into because it simply needs to be. Otherwise we would have universities teaching medicine, but no students to teach it to.

Australian's are as caught up in rankings and reputations as far as US citizens seem to be. Bigger is not necessary always better, and better is not always best! This is not the US!

Take care!

Johnny69 that may be true for Aussie citizens/PRs but remember we are talking about non aussies citizens trying to stay.

From the general impression I've gained from my Dean it is easier to get an internship as an undergrad. (for an international)

Remember as an Aussie you are guaranteed a residency somewhere...we on the other hand are not.

Originally posted by redshifteffect
Johnny69 that may be true for Aussie citizens/PRs but remember we are talking about non aussies citizens trying to stay.

From the general impression I've gained from my Dean it is easier to get an internship as an undergrad. (for an international)

Remember as an Aussie you are guaranteed a residency somewhere...we on the other hand are not.

When i see a Graduate medical student without a job, and saying he/she can't get work, then i will pay this issue more concern.

The entire course at ANU was born out of a lack of Doctors in this country, i seriously doubt there are Med graduates who are un-employed

When i see a Graduate medical student without a job, and saying he/she can't get work, then i will pay this issue more concern.

The entire course at ANU was born out of a lack of Doctors in this country, i seriously doubt there are Med graduates who are un-employed

Exactly!! Good on ya mate...now if only Mr. Howard Johnson will realize that.

Did you know the only students that could stay before the new 422 were the Malaysian students?? They could apply under a seperate visa...b/c of their licensing laws.

Sad to say but it was pretty tough for us before. And as I have said this "bias" isn't a real big deal for Aussies. It can be a problem for some non Aussies, but if this whole Doctor shortage thing gets worse then I don't see it as being a huge issue.

P.S. there is a ranking for Australian Unis/Med schools a lot of ppl. have PMed me asking for this so here it is:

http://trade.isubscribe.com.au/title_info.cfm?prodID=2384

Cheers.

Good good, we are all on the same page then. I know that it is easy for Americans to think that is all there is to the world, but I and many others know better. Besides, we all know everything is bigger and better in Texas ;)

Redshifteffect and Johnny69, your comments are insightful and very helpful. I hope you do not mind me continuously posting questions such as these. As said before, I don't know Australia that well and am trying to get as much information as possible.

You said with Canberra, that I'll just be bored? Thats ok, not too big a concern of mine. I'm sure I'll find SOMETHING to do in the off times and rare cases I'm not flooded with work, or cases, or just plain studying. =)

I am not sure yet if I want to stay in AU or come back to the states. From what I've heard just in general and couple of my friends, its a nice place to live. So, I'm not ruling that out yet.

My interview with ANU is about a week away, so I'm just waiting and hoping that I have that chance to go.

Thanks for the help.

--Lates~

Exactly!! Good on ya mate...now if only Mr. Howard Johnson will realize that.
I hear that Howard Johnson is quite good friends with Bush Georgeson.

They aren't going to ask which Uni, and what's more is they definately aren't going to know whether that particular Uni is a post grad program (such as Usyd) or an undergrad program (such as UNewcastle).
That may be true in the general community, but I think it's important to consider that most people in the Australian medical community will have come through the undergraduate-entry programmes, and may have negative beliefs about the newer graduate-entry programmes. That being said, if the new programmes establish a track record of producing high-quality graduates, this problem, if it exists, should diminish over time.

I also want to point out that getting into a graduate-entry programme is not necessarily an easier alternative to getting into an undergraduate-entry programme. For a student who is capable of very high exam marks, the interview for graduate programmes presents an additional hurdle and chance to "stuff up".

Also, the fact that the undergrad programmes are increasingly including interviews as well, thereby lowering exam mark cut-offs for entry, will probably remove any perceived elite status relative to the graduate programmes.

Originally posted by mic
That may be true in the general community, but I think it's important to consider that most people in the Australian medical community will have come through the undergraduate-entry programmes, and may have negative beliefs about the newer graduate-entry programmes. That being said, if the new programmes establish a track record of producing high-quality graduates, this problem, if it exists, should diminish over time.

I'd also like to point out that from my experience with Australians (granted, limited), it's not so much that they don't *think* about rankings at all, so much as they seem not to think it worthy of *discussion* much of the time. Take the war -- polls show the opinions, but opinions are harder to come by than, say, in much of Europe.

If I'm correct, then med school "rankings" in a sense do matter, and 4yr vs. 6yr rivalry could be strong but covert.

Maybe I'm off base, but this is at least a consideration..

-pitman

Jade Tigress, feel free to post your questions. I think that's what a forum is for...

Anyway, just to add a few cents to the discussion... I really don't think it matters that much in the end which program you choose, as long as the education is at least adequate. After that, it is entirely up to the students.

RSE: hmm... $20! Humbug. USNews have rankings for free. Wonder if you can share brief rankings for post grad and undergrad med schools?

Originally posted by mic

I also want to point out that getting into a graduate-entry programme is not necessarily an easier alternative to getting into an undergraduate-entry programme. For a student who is capable of very high exam marks, the interview for graduate programmes presents an additional hurdle and chance to "stuff up".

Also, the fact that the undergrad programmes are increasingly including interviews as well, thereby lowering exam mark cut-offs for entry, will probably remove any perceived elite status relative to the graduate programmes.

Once again this is not necessarily true, for instance it was in the 1990s that Usyd changed from a 6 year program to a 4 year Postgraduate program, now they dont offer an undergrad program. What is important is that the school has been teaching Medicine since the 1880s, so not to diminish from the history of the school.

Once again this is not necessarily true, for instance it was in the 1990s that Usyd changed from a 6 year program to a 4 year Postgraduate program, now they dont offer an undergrad program. What is important is that the school has been teaching Medicine since the 1880s, so not to diminish from the history of the school.

Whoops Howard Johnson = John Howard...

Originally posted by tl47
Jade Tigress, feel free to post your questions. I think that's what a forum is for...

RSE: hmm... $20! Humbug. USNews have rankings for free. Wonder if you can share brief rankings for post grad and undergrad med schools?

tl47, thanks for that. Yup, and I'm glad I found this forum!
So here's another one: For ppl educated in US, or others who are familiar with that system, how does Usyd and UQ's evaluation testing procedures match up? I heard its more essay type tests and these OSCE things I've been hearing about? How were your experiences with these different testing methods? I'm used to the typical Multi-choice and we rarely if ever, have oral exams.

And RSE: I did check that link out...but like tl47 said..its like 20 bucks...blah.

Thanks!

Sorry, the online version is also pay only. My subscription ran out, but the online version didn't rank the med schools themselves. Most of the data there was poll results of perceptions of the students, in such areas as "overall quality", "satisfaction", "quality of life", "research potential", etc. I didn't look at all schools, but the three I applied to -- USyd, UQ, and Flinders, were all considered tops, with advantage to USyd for research $ and slight disadvantage to Flinders for overall satisfaction.

Of course, this sort of data is only so useful.

I didn't check much about the parent universities, which I think had more objective measures. Of course for that, you can check something like the Asia Week guide:
http://www.asiaweek.com/asiaweek/features/universities2000/schools/multi.overall.html

The Good Guides book may have different data than its online version.

Originally posted by Jade Tigress
tl47, thanks for that. Yup, and I'm glad I found this forum!
So here's another one: For ppl educated in US, or others who are familiar with that system, how does Usyd and UQ's evaluation testing procedures match up? I heard its more essay type tests and these OSCE things I've been hearing about? How were your experiences with these different testing methods? I'm used to the typical Multi-choice and we rarely if ever, have oral exams.

And RSE: I did check that link out...but like tl47 said..its like 20 bucks...blah.

Thanks!

sorry didn't find a free one :(

I got that magazine from my school..which is why I posted it..just wanted to prove that there was in fact a ranking.

Originally posted by pitman
I'd also like to point out that from my experience with Australians (granted, limited), it's not so much that they don't *think* about rankings at all, so much as they seem not to think it worthy of *discussion* much of the time. Take the war -- polls show the opinions, but opinions are harder to come by than, say, in much of Europe.

If I'm correct, then med school "rankings" in a sense do matter, and 4yr vs. 6yr rivalry could be strong but covert.

Maybe I'm off base, but this is at least a consideration..

-pitman

- yeah you're pretty much on base again Pitman.

For aussie students rankings don't mean much because med schools are tough to get into. Also all are funded by the gov't so the quality is all universally good.

Also they are guaranteed a job somewhere...regardless of school so it doesn't really make a difference.

sorry didn't find a free one :(

I got that magazine from my school..which is why I posted it..just wanted to prove that there was in fact a ranking.

No biggie. Appreciate the help=)

I just took the MCATs and got a 28 O. I also have a 3.73 GPA.

What are my chances for getting into schools there?