MCAT retake: 32 --> 39

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StayingSteady

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I am a bit confused with what to do here. I took the MCAT in September, getting a score of 32 (12PS/8VR/12BS). I was scoring about a 36 on practice tests and I hated my VR score, so I retook at the next possible date (1/31). To my surprise I got a 39 (14PS/12VR/13BS). I am aiming for a top 10 med school (hopkins is my dream) and the rest of my app is completely solid. with an increase like this, what can I expect? can I expect the adcoms to view it as if I took it once and got a 39? From those numbers, I would say that the 32 is a fluke and should be disregarded. Or should I keep in mind that the 32 is still there and will still have an impact, and that I should therefore apply more broadly than I would if I had gotten a 39 the first time around? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Umm dude didn't you think about this before you even registered for the damn exam in Jan? A 39 is a great score, and you obviously knew that the "horrible" 32 wasn't going to disappear into the night... so it really doesn't make sense why all the sudden your worried about this.

Hey, so I am a bit confused with what to do here. I took the MCAT in September, getting a score of 32 (12PS/8VR/12BS). I was scoring about a 36 on practice tests and I hated my VR score, so I retook at the next possible date (1/31). To my surprise I got a 39 (14PS/12VR/13BS). I am aiming for a top 10 med school (hopkins is my dream) and the rest of my app is completely solid. with an increase like this, what can I expect? can I expect the adcoms to view it as if I took it once and got a 39? From those numbers, I would say that the 32 is a fluke and should be disregarded. Or should I keep in mind that the 32 is still there and will still have an impact, and that I should therefore apply more broadly than I would if I had gotten a 39 the first time around? Thanks in advance!

Lool I would tot be fine with ur "bad" 32 as well, but hey 39 is a good jump from 32. So what you can do is to mention in ur personal stat that u know u could do better and u obv did!! while ur at it, say u know ur potentials and won't stop till u reach it, hence becoming a great doc....

Now if u tell me how u got 14 on ps I would appreciate it!!

tom-cruise-at-yahoo.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Ha ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dude you have the greatest chance ever go for it. 32-39 wow what is your secret.
haha I would kill for a 32.

ha ok I guess I'm in a good position then. I only retook because 32 was pretty much what I got on my diagnostic... and there was no way I was going to drop $1800 on a prep course for NO gain. I was just hoping that the 32 (and my terrible VR score) wouldn't raise eyebrows, that I would be viewed as if 39 is my true, undoubtable score.

First off, keep in mind that in the end it won't matter where you go to medical school. Getting the dream Hopkins out of your head now will be a good thing for you. I have several physicians in my family and all of them have told me the same thing. For that matter, I have never spoken to a physician that said otherwise. Actually, my Uncle who is ER/Internal Medicine and hires for a hospital in Michigan said that he tends NOT to hire ppl from top schools b/c as he put it, they are afraid to get their hands dirty and think they are too good for that kind of work.

Your score is good enough to get accepted at most schools and even the top schools. Don't stress about where you will get in. Go there, finish and be the best damn doctor you can be. Your patients won't care where you went, and none of my father's patients have ever even asked him, and he has been practicing for 30+ years.

Good luck to you.

Why do you think you got a 32 on the first MCAT?

bad luck? I don't know; I didn't feel any different walking out of that test than I did after a practice test. When I checked SDN later, it seemed like everyone thought the test was a bit easier than they were expecting, so maybe the curve hit me.

I was always hoping for a tough test because (and I mean this in the least arrogant way possible) I'm really good at sciences...engineering major who loves biology = good combo for MCAT... I feel like easier tests fail to separate those who know their stuff back and front and have such a good understanding of the material that they can truly reason out everything, from those who simply memorized the material and are smart people, but do not necessarily understand the intricacies behind the material on the MCAT.

There will always be those random bio questions that you just don't know, and those random PS questions that you miss due to one careless error or another, and it's best to keep those down to a minimum (<2-3 per section). But on easier tests, missing these questions hurt you a lot more than on harder tests. I'd rather have a kaplan test where each scaled score incorporates 2-4 raw points, rather than an AAMC test where the difference between a 12 and a 15 is 3 questions. I think most would agree with this.

As for VR, it beats the heck out of my how I got an 8. I never scored lower than a 9 on my practices, and most of them were in the 10-11 range. I felt that the VR was too easy on the real thing, so I probably got screwed by the curve again. And being that I'm not particularly great at VR, I prob got screwed even worse than I did on the sciences.

Overall, I felt that the 32 was SORELY unrepresentative of my abilities. I don't necessarily believe a 39 IS (I'd probably go with a 37 if I had to guess), but I believe it is a better indicator than a 32.

First off, keep in mind that in the end it won't matter where you go to medical school. Getting the dream Hopkins out of your head now will be a good thing for you. I have several physicians in my family and all of them have told me the same thing. For that matter, I have never spoken to a physician that said otherwise. Actually, my Uncle who is ER/Internal Medicine and hires for a hospital in Michigan said that he tends NOT to hire ppl from top schools b/c as he put it, they are afraid to get their hands dirty and think they are too good for that kind of work.

Your score is good enough to get accepted at most schools and even the top schools. Don't stress about where you will get in. Go there, finish and be the best damn doctor you can be. Your patients won't care where you went, and none of my father's patients have ever even asked him, and he has been practicing for 30+ years.

Good luck to you.

Gunners gonna gun. :cool:

In all seriousness OP, I don't think it will matter at all. The only place I could see it coming up is maybe an interviewer might be impressed by the increase and ask you about what you did to improve so much. :thumbup:

I just wanted to pop in and point out that this thread has been brought back to life after almost a 4 year slumber.

Gunners gonna gun. :cool:

In all seriousness OP, I don't think it will matter at all. The only place I could see it coming up is maybe an interviewer might be impressed by the increase and ask you about what you did to improve so much. :thumbup:

Sorry, I bumped this thread because I was having another recurring thought that I should retake my 33S. Needless to say, I'm not extremely happy with my score. I feel like it is keeping me out from some good schools.

Do you guys think it is really worthless to try to get a higher score?

Any successful retakers out there with any success stories?