MCAT retake advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JangoFett

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my MCAT (26 M)scores; Verbal 6, Physics/Chemistry 9, Writing M, and Biology 11. Is it possible to get into a school with a 6 or do I definetly need to retake the MCAT? I have an accum GPA of 3.96 and a sci GPA of 4.0.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel that you have an excellent overall MCAT score and a great chance of being accepted into medical school. You scored higher than I did...lol.

Many schools vary when it comes to how they view MCAT scores. Some look at the composite score while others pinpoint section scores. When I applied last year, I contacted each school and informed them on my qualifications and asked what my chances were of getting in. They were honest with me and I applied only to the schools that I had a chance of getting into. I was granted 3 interviews and immediately accepted into LECOM. After my acceptance, I withdrew my applications from the other schools.

Good luck and I'll be praying for you.

Personally, I know of others with worst MCAT scores and GPA combined that got in....

Concentrate on your personal statements and the way you respond to those secondary questions and I'm SURE you'll receive an acceptance.... Choose wisely to which school to apply.... Is you choose wisely then you'll get your foot in the door.

Summary: YOU HAVE A FIGHTING CHANCE, SO DO IT!!! :cool: (My personal opinion, that is)

Members don't see this ad :)
Go for it! What do you have to lose! I know MANY who are in allopathic and osteopathic schools now with lower scores than yours, and your gpa looks good.

See look at all these people supporting you.... :cool:

You have a great chance! I was told by a few different admissions directors that they consider a low score as long as you make up the difference in another section. That is certainly what happened in your case. You may have to explain a low verbal score at your interview. That shouldn't be a problem as long as you emphasize how well you did on the other sections and how serious you are as a student.

ok, i'll jump on. i got in with a good mcat (33) but crappy grades (3.1). if i can do it, so can you.

frog