MCAT retake and rolling admissions question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EvilSponge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So here's my situation. I took the MCAT, and although I scored decently, was disappointed by my score (scored lower than any of my ~15 Kaplan or AAMC practice tests). However, I already submitted my AMCAS, so is this situation possible: have schools not put me in back of line because I already have an MCAT score for them to look at, retake the MCAT on maybe August 5th, and if I do better, resend those scores? Essentially I want to be able to retake the MCAT without having rolling admissions affected.

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So medical scores do see all your scores, but from what I understand, most schools will respect your decision to take another mcat, and wont make a premature decision based on bad MCAT scores until you gotten back your new scores. However, I dont know how true this is or if all scores are as willing to wait for scores...

Hey,

So here's my situation. I took the MCAT on 5/26, and although I scored decently, was disappointed by my score (scored lower than any of my ~15 Kaplan or AAMC practice tests). However, I already submitted my AMCAS, so is this situation possible: have schools not put me in back of line because I already have an MCAT score for them to look at, retake the MCAT on maybe August 5th, and if I do better, resend those scores? Essentially I want to be able to retake the MCAT without having rolling admissions affected.

Thanks for your help.

Not really possible. Or in other words, you either have to indicate on your AMCAS that you plan to retake the MCAT (which will tell all medical schools to refrain from making a decision on you, and they probably won't even look at your application until those new scores come). Or, you can retake the MCAT in August without indicating so, but then you run the risk of obtaining a rejection from a school early, as they won't realize you plan on taking the MCAT later. If your score is decent, I wouldn't retake if you are planning on applying this cycle.

no such thing as "rolling admission"

very few schools accept anyone prior to their deadline. Which for most schools are in November or December. Most schools wait for every applicant till they accept anyone. The few schools that accept people early (Aug-Sept), those students had averages far above the schools norm.

For example if someone has 36 mcat, 3.9 gpa, and applied to a school who's averages the past few years were a 32 mcat and 3.75 gpa, than the school may accept him early. But anyone in the "acceptable" range (and this varies, could be +/- 3 (so 29-34 mcat and same for gpa) than they hold all of their applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, my plan was actually to not indicate on AMCAS that I was going to retake, and if I did do better, than transmit those scores.

And I actually didn't do "bad", in fact I did decent by most standards....I just wish I could've scored my average, which was around a 37. Scored a few points below that.

Last edited:
Yes, my plan was actually to not indicate on AMCAS that I was going to retake, and if I did do better, than transmit those scores.

And I actually didn't do "bad", in fact I did decent by most standards....I just wish I could've scored my average, which was around a 37. Scored a few points below that.

I wouldn't even think about it anymore. Don't retake. Your score will be good enough to get into any other school. Don't take the risk of possibly hurting your chances.

very few schools accept anyone prior to their deadline. Which for most schools are in November or December. Most schools wait for every applicant till they accept anyone. The few schools that accept people early (Aug-Sept), those students had averages far above the schools norm.

For example if someone has 36 mcat, 3.9 gpa, and applied to a school who's averages the past few years were a 32 mcat and 3.75 gpa, than the school may accept him early. But anyone in the "acceptable" range (and this varies, could be +/- 3 (so 29-34 mcat and same for gpa) than they hold all of their applicants.

no. this is false. don't post false information.

Lmao, this guy posted the same thing in the last thread I was in. What a dumb ass. He's probably so stupid, that he's trying to mess up other people's chances and he thinks they'll believe him. hahahaha