This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocoholic0428

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am working full time right now at Cornell hospital to pay some students loans off.

I took my MCAT in June and while I was scoring 510 and up on my practice tests- I got a 498 on the actual exam, which was depressing. However I am planning on retaking it next March.

My undergrad GPA was a 2.4 so I tried to do a self post bac and got a 2.8 GPA. I have had some family issues that affected grading, but everything is stable now and I am more than capable of doing well academically.

I know I need a much higher GPA so I wanted to ask- should I apply to SMPs after working for a year or do a masters program with a science topic of my interest? I work at Cornell and they would pay for some schooling if I were to still work. I know that SMPs are one year intensive and you can't work in them so I was considering a masters first so I can keep working and save as well.

Also wanted advice on some medically related activities I could pursue while working to keep my resume fresh.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am working full time right now at Cornell hospital to pay some students loans off.

I took my MCAT in June and while I was scoring 510 and up on my practice tests- I got a 498 on the actual exam, which was depressing. However I am planning on retaking it next March.

My undergrad GPA was a 2.4 so I tried to do a self post bac and got a 2.8 GPA. I have had some family issues that affected grading, but everything is stable now and I am more than capable of doing well academically.

I know I need a much higher GPA so I wanted to ask-

1) should I apply to SMPs after working for a year or do a masters program with a science topic of my interest? I work at Cornell and they would pay for some schooling if I were to still work. I know that SMPs are one year intensive and you can't work in them so I was considering a masters first so I can keep working and save as well.

2) Also wanted advice on some medically related activities I could pursue while working to keep my resume fresh.
1) With such a low undergrad GPA, you'll have a harder time finding a Special Masters Program that will consider you, but there are some out there. You may need to demonstrate capability with additional undergrad postbac work first, though, earning A range grades, before someone will take a chance on you. A strong performance on a repeat MCAT would be very helpful.

A traditional masters program GPA won't help you much at MD schools, but DO med schools do incorporate both undergrad and grad GPAs into their overall application GPA. Do you know what your BCPM/sGPA are now?

2) Medical volunteering, nonmedical community service (ideally with eventual assumption of a leadership role), and perhaps occasional physician shadowing.

1) Sad to hear about your MCAT score mate, but it seems like if you were consistently scoring 510+ on practice that you just had the test day willies (calm that stress down :]).

2) A traditional masters may help, but not by much I'm afraid ~.~ From what I hear, a lot of these programs are heavily inflated. Even if they aren't they have that reputation so med schools don't give too much weight. Again, I can't verify but this seems to the be consensus.

2) I understand that you had some non-academic difficulties but I worry about your performance in an SMP even if one manages to accept you. I graduated from Georgetown's SMP and it was definitely not for the faint-hearted + stress of actually having to do well (they're usually seen as a last ditch effort). This is not to discourage you! just be sure you know what you're signing up for, literally everyone goes in with the mindset that they're going to crush it but not too many can say they do.

I always tell people that the question isn't "will I get in" but "how much am I willing to do to get in." At the risk of sounding idealistic, where there is a will there is a way. BUT with a huge caveat that it may take multiple years. Are you willing to keep working on your application and essentially put your life on "hold" until getting in?

If the answer is yes, then trudge on and best of luck :D

I know I need a much higher GPA so I wanted to ask- should I apply to SMPs after working for a year or do a masters program with a science topic of my interest? I work at Cornell and they would pay for some schooling if I were to still work. I know that SMPs are one year intensive and you can't work in them so I was considering a masters first so I can keep working and save as well.

Also wanted advice on some medically related activities I could pursue while working to keep my resume fresh.

Thank you!
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention
and yes, retake the MCAT, unless you target an SMP with good linkage to its med school.

Reactions: 1 user