MCAT retake is lower than first time... Do i need to tell AACOMAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgartman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
so i recently got back my scores from an MCAT retake, and I got a 27 (10,8,9) compared to my first score from last year (29 - 10,8,11). I have already been granted interviews at a bunch of DO schools, and have been on a couple so far, and I was wondering if I need to tell AACOMAS/all the schools to which Ive applied about my new scores? If so, WHY??
Im afraid the downward trend will look bad to admissions officers when they are reviewing my file pre/post interview, deciding whether or not to interview/accept me. Some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

hey all,
so i recently got back my scores from an MCAT retake, and I got a 27 (10,8,9) compared to my first score from last year (29 - 10,8,11). I have already been granted interviews at a bunch of DO schools, and have been on a couple so far, and I was wondering if I need to tell AACOMAS/all the schools to which Ive applied about my new scores? If so, WHY??
Im afraid the downward trend will look bad to admissions officers when they are reviewing my file pre/post interview, deciding whether or not to interview/accept me. Some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Honestly, I would tell them. If you don't and they accept you, there's a possibility that they could pull your acceptance. You should read school websites and also the AACOMAS handbook.

hey all,

Well, rest assured that your fears of downward trend looking bad are 100% legitimate. I don't know why you even bothered to retake a 29.

Edit: Also yes, you do need to tell them. Why? Same reason why you have to send them your transcripts.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all,

if you already have interviews I don't see why you would tell them.

if you already have interviews I don't see why you would tell them.

Third-party-facepalm.jpg

hey all,

Tell them. Is that 11 to a 9 your VR? If your GPA is pretty good, I honestly think you will be fine.

Well, rest assured that your fears of downward trend looking bad are 100% legitimate. I don't know why you even bothered to retake a 29.

Edit: Also yes, you do need to tell them. Why? Same reason why you have to send them your transcripts.

Didn't you retake a 29 MedPR? Maybe he was applying to MD schools as well??? If he was only applying DO, then I totally agree with you.

Hey guys thanks for some feedback. The reason I retook the exam was because I am applying to M.D. schools as well. I have a 3.55 gpa with a strong upward trend. Do you think I should contact individual schools or aacomas regarding my question? I just figure that since the schools have a set of scores already, that it shouldn't matter... but as stated above, I don't know if they can pull my acceptance if they find out. I'm super conflicted... but I don't want to risk something so important..

Oh and the section where I went down is the bio section... never scored below a 10 on my practice tests so was really surprised as well as disappointed...

You have to tell them. Just do it. Don't even think about it. Report it right now.

Didn't you retake a 29 MedPR? Maybe he was applying to MD schools as well??? If he was only applying DO, then I totally agree with you.

I retook a 28, but I didn't study the first time so I was sure to get a better score on the retake.

You have to tell them. Just do it. Don't even think about it. Report it right now.

:thumbup:

Thanks for the help, ill report it today or tomorrow at some point. I just hope it doesn't impact my post-interview decisions greatly.