MCAT retake trouble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyboy1080

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

First time poster, long time reader. So my problem is with my MCAT. I took it a year ago and got a 29P (11PS 8VR 10BS), using a Kaplan prep course. Prior to getting my score back I was going to only take 1 year off (that was the start of my senior year). I met with my premed adviser and discussed my options and I had time to retake them and still follow my original track. However, I ended up getting a good 2 yr commitment job working in a hospital (as a Research Data Coordinator).

I decided to study on my own using a friend's kaplan ID to get access to the tests and online materials as well as EK books and other resources. I retook them at the end of July 09 and got my score back. I thought I was improving in verbal (the hardest section for me) but ended up with a 27O (8PS 8 VR 11 BS). I was upset about the PS because I had done well before but mostly upset that I didn't improve in VR. I met again with my adviser and she said I should retake them but maybe wait a few months before starting.

I am at the point where I think I need a tutor. I don't think I can study on my own and improve VR but I am getting mixed reviews about getting a tutor. I don't think I would try a kaplan or TPR tutor but rather a private one. I found some on craigslist but I would def need to consult with them prior to paying anything.

I graduated cum laude from Tufts U and have a 3.56 cumul. gpa and around there for sci (i majored in bio anyways). I have great LORs and a great EC, especially my job now. I'm wondering if I have a decent chance to get into US allopathic med schools without retaking my mcat. I know I want to go to medical school and would def do what I need to. But i just dont know if i can improve my mcat. I also am not sure how i can afford a tutor.

Does anyone know of any MCAT (spec VR) tutors in Boston (which is where I am)?

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated. Thank you for reading my post and I wish everyone the best of luck in the application process.

Members don't see this ad.

If you apply broadly and early, you may get into a US allo school with your scores. It'll be rough, but it's definitely been done.

Does anyone know of any MCAT (spec VR) tutors in Boston (which is where I am)?

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated. Thank you for reading my post and I wish everyone the best of luck in the application process.

While I don't know of any specific tutors, I do know people who have sought out long time LSAT teachers for verbal tutoring for the MCAT. The first session or two might not be that useful, because they will need to learn the nuances of the MCAT. But once they do, a good LSAT teacher can be the best verbal teacher around. In fact, the best verbal teachers I ever known had all been LSAT gurus at some point in their job history.

Hi there --

While I'm not convinced you need to retake given your scores, grades, and good ECs, I am a VR tutor in Boston and would be very happy to work with you in the case you want to get the VR score up. I really think that verbal reasoning can be one of the easiest and most intuitive sections on the MCAT, and I enjoy working with people to help make the section easier. I'm sure you can improve the score with some tweaks to your approach. I just posted an ad on student doctor -- you can find it at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=8677660#post8677660
for more details about me.

That said, I'd urge you to consider applying without the retake. Your other section scores are solid, your grades are solid, and, if your goal is to get in somewhere, I'm sure you can accomplish that even with an 8 in VR. If you only want a top school, then you might need a higher VR... but I'm always a proponent of applying and seeing how things go.

In any case, good luck. If you do decide you want VR help, PM me or drop me an email -- would be very happy to help you.