MCAT Retake was much lower than first shot. What does my future look like? HELP

Apr 8, 2016
Boy, I messed up. I took the MCAT a year ago and scored a 507. I retook the MCAT again this past June and ended up with a 504. (Thats like a 10+ percentile drop to put things in reference.)This is a huge shock to me since all my practice exam scores have been ranging from 507-511. I have already applied to a whole bunch of schools, both MD and DO. I have a few DO interviews lined up, but am worried that they will rescind their interview invite. What are my chances at an MD program? Should I even bother retaking this exam a second time?

Background info: recent norCA college grad with 3.8cum/sci GPA. 3 years of research experience, 2 years of significant shadowing experience plus a few other ec's.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
tot chat
Boy, I messed up. I took the MCAT a year ago and scored a 507. I retook the MCAT again this past June and ended up with a 504. (Thats like a 10+ percentile drop to put things in reference.)This is a huge shock to me since all my practice exam scores have been ranging from 507-511. I have already applied to a whole bunch of schools, both MD and DO. I have a few DO interviews lined up, but am worried that they will rescind their interview invite. What are my chances at an MD program? Should I even bother retaking this exam a second time?

Background info: recent norCA college grad with 3.8cum/sci GPA. 3 years of research experience, 2 years of significant shadowing experience plus a few other ec's.
The drop will hurt, perhaps lethally for US MD schools. Why did you retake a 507? Was the 507 balanced (any subsection lower than 125)?

Not sure how the drop will affect DO school interviews so deferring to @Goro

Reactions: freecme

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
You should still be OK for DO --
If asked about your retake score, admit surprise and disappointment.
But don't retake again. As you see, it doesn't always turn out well...

Reactions: freecme and Goro

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
The drop will hurt, perhaps lethally for US MD schools. Why did you retake a 507? Was the 507 balanced (any subsection lower than 125)?

Not sure how the drop will affect DO school interviews so deferring to @Goro
I agree that the OP is DOA for MD schools, but if s/he applies broadly to DO, they should be OK.

Reactions: freecme
OP
F
Apr 8, 2016
Thanks @Lawper @DokterMom @Goro
The retake was mainly to improve my CARS score which was originally a 124, but is now much lower.
Would it be advisable to take it as far as withdrawing from this cycle, retaking over the next year and reapplying next year? Cut my losses at this point and move on? Or does DO look positive for me?