MCAT Retake while in post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VivaLasVagus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm really conflicted about retaking the MCAT and appreciate your time for reading and weighing in!
MCAT: 11V/10B/8P
Undergrad GPA: 3.2
Currently in post-bacc and doing well
Extracurricular: ER volunteer, clinical research, scribe , international health club volunteer, tutoring
Cali resident (no in-state favoring)

I'd really like to apply to MD schools and I think that retaking the MCAT would let me have a better chance, but I can't think of any way that I would study differently the second time around (insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results right?). Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

What did you do the first time around? I think you should be able to raise that 8 to a 10+ with lots of practice problems. With an 8, there are probably areas that you could improve content wise as well.

I would recommend the TPR science workbook for practice problems and and TBR for the content review.

Reactions: 1 user
What did you do the first time around? I think you should be able to raise that 8 to a 10+ with lots of practice problems. With an 8, there are probably areas that you could improve content wise as well.

I would recommend the TPR science workbook for practice problems and and TBR for the content review.

Thanks for the input @Waggles! The first time I used TBR for content review and practice problems, and spent the last month using only Kaplan practice questions/FL's, and AAMC FL's. I could definitely always use more practice -- is TPR better than Examkrackers for questions?

I wouldn't recommend it. I'm guessing you're completing post-bacc work to help improve your GPA. Studying for the MCAT on top of everything else you're doing would likely lead to something falling by the wayside. You can't afford a dip in your GPA nor would it be wise to not dedicate enough time to the MCAT and not improve.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't recommend it. I'm guessing you're completing post-bacc work to help improve your GPA. Studying for the MCAT on top of everything else you're doing would likely lead to something falling by the wayside. You can't afford a dip in your GPA nor would it be wise to not dedicate enough time to the MCAT and not improve.

Thanks for the reply @SN2ed! I am doing it to boost my GPA, which is why I'm so hesitant to consider retaking it. I was going to take 2 classes over the summer and volunteer instead, but was wondering if it would be worth it to push that off until Fall and dedicate my time to the MCAT instead?

I have the exact same BS and PS and I have fantasies of re-taking and really kicking ass but not until at least the summer. (And I'm only doing DO prob) I look at my 8 in PS and realize I spent 85% of all my MCAT studying prepping for that section alone. It makes me realize how remedial I must have been/am because really.... VAST majority of my time on studying for PS and it's my lowest score. Anyway....

Were you taking post bacc courses while studying for this recent MCAT? Would you have any more time/same time/less time to study compared to what you did for this recent test?

I have the exact same BS and PS and I have fantasies of re-taking and really kicking ass but not until at least the summer. (And I'm only doing DO prob) I look at my 8 in PS and realize I spent 85% of all my MCAT studying prepping for that section alone. It makes me realize how remedial I must have been/am because really.... VAST majority of my time on studying for PS and it's my lowest score. Anyway....

Were you taking post bacc courses while studying for this recent MCAT? Would you have any more time/same time/less time to study compared to what you did for this recent test?
I have those exact same fantasies! But then I remember exactly how much work I spent on physics (it was one of my main focuses as well), and my dream bubble pops...will you be retaking? I wasn't taking classes when I first took it, so I'd probably be spending about the same amount of time as round 1.

I have those exact same fantasies! But then I remember exactly how much work I spent on physics (it was one of my main focuses as well), and my dream bubble pops...will you be retaking? I wasn't taking classes when I first took it, so I'd probably be spending about the same amount of time as round 1.

Are the two classes you're thinking of doing this summer vs fall required/which classes are they? Are they your last 2? If they are and you've already done most of the post-bacc (and done well which you mentioned) then maybe I can see it being wise to spend the summer retaking. If you still have a lot of classes left to take I'm not sure. if you pushed back your classes to the fall, would you have the whole summer to study or would you have other commitments too?

I don't think I will be retaking as like an integral part of my app. I got a 31--> 8PS/13VR/10Bs. I have a crappy GPA (maybe 3.1? maybe less?). I work full time and am taking orgo 2 (ug) until mid May. When I studied the first time I was only working and not taking a class, and then I took some time off leading up to the test, so taking it before May or June for me would not make sense. i'd have less time to study. I think I need to focus on getting my app ready for AACOMAS (and AMCAS for some long shots) to apply as soon as humanly possible....

so AFTER all that is done and my primary applications are sent out, I would consider studying and re-taking for like August or September just for the heck of it (??). But it just depends. I wouldn't be able to take as much time off as I did before this exam and I had a tutor so I can't really afford that again.... Yeah it was pretty stressful, you're right. I think I will probably leave it be unless I develop some brand new crazy good time management skills :)

my non-expert opinion is that your stats are definitely competitive for DO schools. But if you're truly set on MD, it might be best to retake to really give yourself the best shot. Especially if you have an extended period of time (1+ month) to focus only on the MCAT. Just a thought!!

Are the two classes you're thinking of doing this summer vs fall required/which classes are they? Are they your last 2? If they are and you've already done most of the post-bacc (and done well which you mentioned) then maybe I can see it being wise to spend the summer retaking. If you still have a lot of classes left to take I'm not sure. if you pushed back your classes to the fall, would you have the whole summer to study or would you have other commitments too?

I don't think I will be retaking as like an integral part of my app. I got a 31--> 8PS/13VR/10Bs. I have a crappy GPA (maybe 3.1? maybe less?). I work full time and am taking orgo 2 (ug) until mid May. When I studied the first time I was only working and not taking a class, and then I took some time off leading up to the test, so taking it before May or June for me would not make sense. i'd have less time to study. I think I need to focus on getting my app ready for AACOMAS (and AMCAS for some long shots) to apply as soon as humanly possible....

so AFTER all that is done and my primary applications are sent out, I would consider studying and re-taking for like August or September just for the heck of it (??). But it just depends. I wouldn't be able to take as much time off as I did before this exam and I had a tutor so I can't really afford that again.... Yeah it was pretty stressful, you're right. I think I will probably leave it be unless I develop some brand new crazy good time management skills :)

my non-expert opinion is that your stats are definitely competitive for DO schools. But if you're truly set on MD, it might be best to retake to really give yourself the best shot. Especially if you have an extended period of time (1+ month) to focus only on the MCAT. Just a thought!!

They definitely aren't my last two, but I might be able to push those classes off until Summer 2015 which is when I'm applying, so that would leave my summer free with a short 4 hour weekly volunteer shift. I'm definitely considering DO schools more earnestly now as well (I bought "The DO's: Osteopathic Medicine in America" to become better acquainted with it).

Good luck in orgo 2, it's a toughie but I'd definitely recommend "Organic Chemistry I/II As a Second Language" by David M. Klein, it saved me a ton of tears! And a 31 sounds like a great score to apply with, waiting until August/September after your AACOMAS/AMCAS are completed and sent sounds like the most logical plan to me.

Thank you so much @crazy87, you pretty much nailed my concerns completely!! I guess the only remaining factors are (1) if DO is something I can see myself doing (still gotta do some more research on that) and (2) would my post-bacc class schedule be jostled too much if I did kill my summer. :)

They definitely aren't my last two, but I might be able to push those classes off until Summer 2015 which is when I'm applying, so that would leave my summer free with a short 4 hour weekly volunteer shift. I'm definitely considering DO schools more earnestly now as well (I bought "The DO's: Osteopathic Medicine in America" to become better acquainted with it).

Good luck in orgo 2, it's a toughie but I'd definitely recommend "Organic Chemistry I/II As a Second Language" by David M. Klein, it saved me a ton of tears! And a 31 sounds like a great score to apply with, waiting until August/September after your AACOMAS/AMCAS are completed and sent sounds like the most logical plan to me.

Thank you so much @crazy87, you pretty much nailed my concerns completely!! I guess the only remaining factors are (1) if DO is something I can see myself doing (still gotta do some more research on that) and (2) would my post-bacc class schedule be jostled too much if I did kill my summer. :)

gotcha, I missed that you were applying for Fall 2016 start!! In that case you got plenty of time to retake (Jan '15) so i'm sure those post-bacc classes are going to help with MCAT stuff!!!!