MCAT SCALING SCORING Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meowster007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I was a bit confused about the scaling graded MCAT. So on reddit I found AAMC 1,2,3 grading scale and how many questions to get right for a particular score. So my question is if the median of students get 35 questions right, is that the 125 for a section? It seems that on the grading scale for C/P that getting 36 questions right is a 125... Does that tend to be the case on the other MCAT tests? (anyone with previous testing experience do you guys know?) Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Kinda wondering if there is a fluctuation of scores being a 125 like maybe for some MCATs the average maybe 30 questions in a section right for a 125 rather than a 36?

I don't totally get your question, but i'll take a stab.

From what I know, the MCAT isn't "scaled" its based on a bell curve in which your scores are compared to the performance of your pool (technically, also to the performance of the respective year before your test).

The FL's are tests from previous years. So as far as scoring, the same is true- it's just that your score is compared to the relative distribution of the test takers who took THAT test. Its gonna vary by section, so like if that year the mid 50% got 36 q's right (or so) then yea, they get the 125 in that section. But its not a hard and fast number really, you just want to do your best to out perform everyone else.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, there is a fluctuation. It depends on how hard the test is that you take.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, there is a fluctuation. It depends on how hard the test is that you take.

+1 ^

like for instance my test was probably the hardest the AAMC has ever put out....that's why I didn't get my deserved 528. At least that's what I'm telling Mayo clinic anyways...

Reactions: 1 users
+1 ^

like for instance my test was probably the hardest the AAMC has ever put out....that's why I didn't get my deserved 528. At least that's what I'm telling Mayo clinic anyways...

Well no... because it was hard for everyone so you should have gotten at least a 526

Well no... because it was hard for everyone so you should have gotten at least a 526
upon further reflection, I see that you're right. I'm deciding to pull all my applications for this cycle. Gonna go retake my MCAT and try again next year

upon further reflection, I see that you're right. I'm deciding to pull all my applications for this cycle. Gonna go retake my MCAT and try again next year

I wouldn’t just go and let reality get in the way of your ego ;)

@OP, nobody really knows what goes on behind the scenes. The MCAT is not scored on a bell curve. Your win is not someone else’s loss. The scores are scaled to account for inter-exam variance in question difficulty - but the scores are not tethered to percentiles.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you guys so much! I was wondering if I need to score a raw 35-36 q's right to get a 125 or not... You guys did answer my question thank you. That makes me feel better that its not a hard fast number. I was wondering for the people who took it before if they know the amount of questions they got right and over the years has 35 q's been the 125 for years or is that data not disclosed? Thank you all.

Thank you guys so much! I was wondering if I need to score a raw 35-36 q's right to get a 125 or not... You guys did answer my question thank you. That makes me feel better that its not a hard fast number. I was wondering for the people who took it before if they know the amount of questions they got right and over the years has 35 q's been the 125 for years or is that data not disclosed? Thank you all.

Sorry, I really couldn't tell you, and they turned over all the material at the end of last year so I can't even go back and look. Try to score as many q's right as you can. I know it might be annoying to hear (I know it annoyed me when ppl would say the same) but it's really the best thing for your sanity lol