MCAT scheduling time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lolaaa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm debating on whether to take the MCAT on the 28th of Sep or just postpone it to Jan the 17th of next year. I've only taken one practice test last month and scored pretty bad so I've been studying and improving myself in the weak areas. I'm done with psych/soc and about to finish bio but I still have to go over physics and chemistry in which I am pretty bad. The way I'm studying is based off the AAMC practice questions. I know it's mostly a personal choice based on my studying schedule but I just wanted to hear different opinions and advises. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

It would be better if you went off the AAMC guide that outlines all the broad topics covered by each standard of the mcat and identified area of weakness to focus on. Your strategy is unorthodox in that most folks opt for a broad initial round of content review since most of us forget the minutiae of courses taken years prior. Unfortunately the AAMC does not necessarily have questions that cover every topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,
I'm debating on whether to take the MCAT on the 28th of Sep or just postpone it to Jan the 17th of next year. I've only taken one practice test last month and scored pretty bad so I've been studying and improving myself in the weak areas. I'm done with psych/soc and about to finish bio but I still have to go over physics and chemistry in which I am pretty bad. The way I'm studying is based off the AAMC practice questions. I know it's mostly a personal choice based on my studying schedule but I just wanted to hear different opinions and advises. Thanks in advance
The best advice you will receive is to try to not take the test more than once, which means not taking it until you are reasonably sure you can achieve your target score. It's too early in June to know whether you will be able to hit your target by the end of September. 3 months should be enough time, but it really all depends on what your target is, how bad is "bad," (how far away you are from your target), and how much time you can devote to it every day.

Hi guys,

I wouldn't take the test until you have multiple data points in your goal scores zone, whatever that may be. The worst thing you could do is completely house the test and now you're fighting from a big hole that you paid for, literally.

Save the money, take the time you need until you can demonstrate that you are there and then take the test.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Thank you guys for your replies, I really appreciate it. I'll take the test once I get an idea about whether my score is close to my target or not. I might not take it in September but I'm also afraid of a burn out if I leave it till January. Anyways I'll keep studying and taking practice tests and see how it goes. Thanks again! :)