MCAT Score Expired; Lower Score on Retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wa1337

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN,

I took the MCAT in August 2015 and scored a 511 (130/124/127/130). I recently took it again in March 2020 and scored a 506 (128/127/125/126)...was scoring well in B/B and P/S on practice (127-128) but dropped test day, oh well.

1. How much will this drop affect me? Currently, I cannot re-take / register for an exam, given the current circumstances due to COVID.
  2. I know schools still have the ability to see the expired score, will they take that into account or is my drop a red flag?
    • Is there a list of schools (official/unofficial) that superscore the MCAT, even if score is expired? I'm going to reach out to schools individually regardless...worth a shot
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

SDN,

I took the MCAT in August 2015 and scored a 511 (130/124/127/130). I recently took it again in March 2020 and scored a 506 (128/127/125/126)...was scoring well in B/B and P/S on practice (127-128) but dropped test day, oh well.

1. How much will this drop affect me? Currently, I cannot re-take / register for an exam, given the current circumstances due to COVID.
  2. I know schools still have the ability to see the expired score, will they take that into account or is my drop a red flag?
    • Is there a list of schools (official/unofficial) that superscore the MCAT, even if score is expired? I'm going to reach out to schools individually regardless...worth a shot
Thanks

What’s the rest of your application look like? What have you been doing since 2015?

What’s the rest of your application look like? What have you been doing since 2015?

Should’ve noted I was international back then. Now a US resident. In-state NY.

cGPA: 3.67
sGPA: 3.54

Graduated spring 2016, did a semester of research studying genes in tomatoes (no publication) and interned for an osteopathic medical school (medical missions trip planning, data entry from dietetics research/surveys to disadvantaged communities).
Jobless gap year with no II from 2016-summer 2017 as all I had was nixed research/case report opportunities, shadowing at free clinic, volunteering at soup kitchens, until finally got a job as a dental assistant (1100 hrs). Spoke to a few dean of admissions at different institutions and they said they’d count that as clinical experience. Working in data analytics now for 2 years. I like it but miss human interaction and the pace of being in a clinical environment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you previously apply?

MD:
Downstate
Upstate
Rutgers NJ
Tufts (looking back, what a reach)
Boston U (^)
OUWB
Georgetown
GWU
Sidney Kimmel
VCU
Penn State
Wayne State
Kentucky
Loma Linda
Rosalind Franklin

DO:
PCOM
VCOM - VA
UNECOM
LECOM - PA
Western Pomona (got II here actually, rejected)
NOVA southeastern
Marian
Rowan

So on this go around you’re a US citizen and NY resident? That should help vis a vis being international.

Loma Linda has a religious mission. Is that a good fit?

Are you applying to all New York and New Jersey state schools?

Suggest applying to more DO schools than you did the first time.

So on this go around you’re a US citizen and NY resident? That should help vis a vis being international.

Loma Linda has a religious mission. Is that a good fit?

Are you applying to all New York and New Jersey state schools?

Suggest applying to more DO schools than you did the first time.

Yep, permanent resident (evaluated similar to citizen, non-international) and NY state resident.

Loma Linda was not a good fit but back then my focus wasn't there. My only thought was to find a way into school.

I will be applying this cycle to the following state and north east schools:
  • SUNY Upstate (NY)
  • SUNY Downstate (NY)
  • Buffalo (NY)
  • Albany (NY)
  • NYMC (NY)
  • Geisinger (PA)
  • Penn State (PA)
  • Temple (PA)
  • Robert Larner (VT)
  • Frank Netter Quinnipiac (CT)
  • EVMS (VA)
  • VCU (VA)
  • All NJ (Hackensack, Rutgers + RWJ, Cooper)
Any additional advices appreciated.

511 to a 506 is a red flag. I don't think MD is in the cards anymore.

The good news is that your drop in score, is still a very decent score for DO and you could prob get in most places.
Apply, get in, get a DO degree, and become a physician.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
511 to a 506 is a red flag. I don't think MD is in the cards anymore.

The good news is that your drop in score, is still a very decent score for DO and you could prob get in most places.
Apply, get in, get a DO degree, and become a physician.

Good luck.

Yes, that drop will be looked at unfavorably. I definitely am going to apply broadly to both and get my apps in early. I’m beginning to study for a retake in July/August, now just gotta snag a spot when AAMC registration opens up and is available for me to do so.

I appreciate the feedback!

Last edited:
Yes, that drop will be looked at unfavorably. I definitely am going to apply broadly to both and get my apps in early. I’m beginning to study for a retake in July/August, now just gotta snag a spot when AAMC registration opens up and is available for me to do so.

I appreciate the feedback!
Why re-take? Rly want MD?
If you drop a third time - you risk being screened from good DO schools as well.

SDN,

Thanks
The knowledge decay will hurt you. Why did you wait all this time and allow the score to expire?

Yep, permanent resident (evaluated similar to citizen, non-international) and NY state resident.

Loma Linda was not a good fit but back then my focus wasn't there. My only thought was to find a way into school.

I will be applying this cycle to the following state and north east schools:
  • SUNY Upstate (NY)
  • SUNY Downstate (NY)
  • Buffalo (NY)
  • Albany (NY)
  • NYMC (NY)
  • Geisinger (PA)
  • Penn State (PA)
  • Temple (PA)
  • Robert Larner (VT)
  • Frank Netter Quinnipiac (CT)
  • EVMS (VA)
  • VCU (VA)
  • All NJ (Hackensack, Rutgers + RWJ, Cooper)
Any additional advices appreciated.
The NJ schools will be donations

The knowledge decay will hurt you. Why did you wait all this time and allow the score to expire?

I was international until the end of last year. I didn't get any interviews and reflected on my app - missed clinical hours and wanted to also test my willingness to enter the medical field by pursuing other career opportunities (data analytics).

Why re-take? Rly want MD?
If you drop a third time - you risk being screened from good DO schools as well.

Re-taking because I want to give myself the best chance to be competitive and also have as many options to stay in the northeast and be close to home.

I need to do better on the MCAT and that is something I can control. Currently, I'm quarantined and working from home...in 3-4 months it's going to be summer anyways. Might as well give it a shot - if the result isn't there, at least I tried.

Re-taking because I want to give myself the best chance to be competitive and also have as many options to stay in the northeast and be close to home.

I need to do better on the MCAT and that is something I can control. Currently, I'm quarantined and working from home...in 3-4 months it's going to be summer anyways. Might as well give it a shot - if the result isn't there, at least I tried.
Quoting the wise Homeskool: Taking the MCAT is like getting married: ideally you only do it once, and the more times you do it the worse you start looking to suitors with good judgment.

I think that you have a shot right now, at these schools:

Drexel (maybe)
NYMC (maybe)
Temple
Tulane
Wayne State
Netter
SLU
EVMS
Seton Hall
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
WVU
MCW
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Your state school(s).
Any DO school. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Quoting the wise Homeskool: Taking the MCAT is like getting married: ideally you only do it once, and the more times you do it the worse you start looking to suitors with good judgment.

I think that you have a shot right now, at these schools:

Drexel (maybe)
NYMC (maybe)
Temple
Tulane
Wayne State
Netter
SLU
EVMS
Seton Hall
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
WVU
MCW
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Your state school(s).
Any DO school. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Thank you for sharing your insight on this, Goro. A lot of those schools are definitely on my list and I appreciate the thorough feedback on the schools listed. I spoke to a few dean of admissions so far and they mentioned that, while MCAT is certainly weighted heavily, it would not be as much of a red flag retaking it again (relatively speaking) since it is not across a shorter time span (say, 3 re-takes in 1.5 yr span vs. more spread out over 5 years).

I agree that it is risky and could end up making me look less favorable - I'll work towards it cause I know I can do better on my B/B and P/S sections (typically my higher sections across practice exams, I just didn't perform on test day). I'm pushing on with the mindset that the retake is on - if practice results aren't where they need to be a couple weeks out, then it's time to re-assess.

I do appreciate the feedback again and don't take it lightly. Loma Linda is off the list lol

Reactions: 1 user