MCAT Score is here, not sure what I can do with it!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henry Gray

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I took the June 18th MCAT. I got my score back yesterday and I scored a 33 O, before you call me a troll, you need to see my breakdown.

PS: 12
VR: 07
BS: 14
WS: O

My undergraduate GPA is 3.94, Science GPA: 3.92.
Double Degree in three years (150 credits, no AP credits) in Chem and Bio.
Currently doing my MS in Neurobiology, 2 year program, starting my 2nd year in September.

EC's: Bunch of stuff, publication on the way, leadership, teaching, tutoring, volunteering, shadowing, medical trip to a 3rd world country, etc.

What can I do? My verbal is too low to be considered competitive, my AAMC verbal average is a 9.0 (7 exams total).

English is my 3rd language, came to Canada when I was 13. Oh and I'm applying as a Canadian.

It's just devastating, I worked my butt off all these years, nothing is bad on my application (except being Canadian), but one section on the MCAT messes it up.

I have a copy of the MSAR, bunch of school accept Canadians, but they look at us as OOS.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of submitting and retaking it in mid to late August. I'm so confused, upset!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I took the June 18th MCAT. I got my score back yesterday and I scored a 33 O, before you call me a troll, you need to see my breakdown.

Currently doing my MS in Neurobiology, 2 year program, starting my 2nd year in September.

EC's: Bunch of stuff, publication on the way, leadership, teaching, tutoring, volunteering, shadowing, medical trip to a 3rd world country, etc.

What can I do? My verbal is too low to be considered competitive, my AAMC verbal average is a 9.0 (7 exams total).

English is my 3rd language, came to Canada when I was 13. Oh and I'm applying as a Canadian.

It's just devastating, I worked my butt off all these years, nothing is bad on my application (except being Canadian), but one section on the MCAT messes it up.

I have a copy of the MSAR, bunch of school accept Canadians, but they look at us as OOS.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of submitting and retaking it in mid to late August. I'm so confused, upset!

You might want to just consider taking a year off. There's sometimes this sense of fear that pre-meds have of not going immediately to medical school after completing a degree. As someone who has taken two years (and going for a third year) off, I can say it affords you the opportunity to really enjoy your 20's and explore America (slash other countries and cultures) and/or life in the workforce, putting your decision to apply to medical school in a way more practical perspective...one you can't really imagine when you're an undergrad. Believe me on this. I basically tell anyone I know who's doing pre-med to take time off after graduation (regardless of grades or MCATs or ECs). Believe me, you'll enjoy it. It's nice to have a paycheck and really possess the time to enjoy life for a bit.

I think most schools have an 8 cut-off for almost all the sections, and looking at your GPA and your performance on the Bio and Physical Sciences section, I imagine that taking a year off, reading a bunch and improving your verbal skills (and subsequentially landing a 10 in that section)....you'd probably have a very decent chance a mid-tier/top tier MD schools in the US. A 7 Verbal is kind of like playing with fire, and I don't know if it's really worth it to get burned.

I would talk to recruiters who are also on the admissions committee and ask for their opinion/advice. It is difficult for students to improve on the verbal section, so if that's what you really want, taking time off would be the best option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Um, Are you serious? DO NOT take a year off. Your numbers are VERY competitive, especially because every other part of your application is VERY solid, and english is not your first language. I had a low verbal score too and got into an OOS and IS school, plus had another interview (all MD's) and multiple DO schools accepted me as well. My MCAT, cGPA and sGPA were lower than yours too. I also am not URM. I also didn't do anything crazy spectacular in undergrad or get published! lol! Some schools also pay attention to BS or PS scores more, so do your research and try to figure that out. I know UC (where I am going) looks favorably on BS scores because apparently it's the best indicator of how you will do on step 1, so I was completely fine. Don't let one part of your application push you away from applying this cycle. Some schools won't like your verbal score, no doubt, but there are also some who won't care.

of course, when you interview, they will ask you about it, but have a solid answer ready and I guarantee you will be fine :) GOOD LUCK!!!!

p.s. I know another friend of mine who had a 6 in verbal and got into multiple MD schools. He also was not URM.
The rest of your app is flawless, a 7 in verbal isn't going to make you a horrible doc and adcom's know that.

Hi guys,

I think you should apply. English is not your first language, and not even your second. That should suffice as explanation. Yeah - a LOT of schools will throw you out due to that 7. But some will not. You will need a stellar interview to land yourself a seat in MD.

Consider applying DO as back up - you are an excellent candidate there.

Thank you guys! I'm submitting and retaking it in late August and updating the schools. Appreciate the advice!

I love how camera keeps giving advice when she looks like she is a sophmore in her undergrad.

I love how camera keeps giving advice when she looks like she is a sophmore in her undergrad.

Hehe! She does look young, doesn't she? I had braces for 3 years until last April and am asian, so I got that a lot.

She seems to sure know a heck of a lot more than I do, so I could care less if she was 18!:laugh:

Hehe! She does look young, doesn't she? I had braces for 3 years until last April and am asian, so I got that a lot.

She seems to sure know a heck of a lot more than I do, so I could care less if she was 18!:laugh:

lol. i am sorta little i guess :(
and im not 18, im 80! or i have back pain like im 80. :lame: haha