MCAT Score keeps dropping....mental breakdown approaching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danceamber

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

PSA NOTE: I tried really hard to not sound like a whinny baby, but was unsuccessful lol

Hope you're day is full of joy and laughter. Can't say the same for myself (laughs uncomfortably). So I just took my 7th practice exam and from exam 5-7 my exam keeps dropping. All my scores are trash. I was supposed to take the exam on July 20th, but that is not happening. I went from 495 to 499 to 493. You don't even want to know my scores from 1-4. I have been doing 8-10 hour days and I review each exam and focus on what I got wrong and why. I do practice problems with Kaplan, Varsity tutors, exam krackers and Kahn Academy. I just don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First, take a couple days off. You probably shouldn't apply this cycle since you won't have a score til August at the earliest (and maybe not a terrific score) which gives you the benefit of having valuable time.
Second, and I don't often recommend this but it sounds like you have been putting in a really solid effort, I think you should consider looking into tutoring or a formal course. Going solo has not put you where you want to be so it is time for a new approach!

First, take a couple days off. You probably shouldn't apply this cycle since you won't have a score til August at the earliest (and maybe not a terrific score) which gives you the benefit of having valuable time.
Second, and I don't often recommend this but it sounds like you have been putting in a really solid effort, I think you should consider looking into tutoring or a formal course. Going solo has not put you where you want to be so it is time for a new approach!

Yeah I haven't taken a day off in about three weeks but I haven't felt like I have needed one. I guess I should start doing that. I actually did use a prep course sadly. I did one through Kaplan that ended in March and I started my heavy studying in May.

Members don't see this ad :)
How's your content review? Have you taken all the courses you'd need for the MCAT already (e.g. ochem, biochem, cell bio, soc/psych)?

Hey! So I have only used Kaplan ones so far. They came with the course that I took.
You should take one of the AAMC ones. The ones associated with the courses typically underpredict scores. Doubtful you'd end up with a 520, but certainly possible to be in the mid 500's (which could get you in the door at some programs)

You should take one of the AAMC ones. The ones associated with the courses typically underpredict scores. Doubtful you'd end up with a 520, but certainly possible to be in the mid 500's (which could get you in the door at some programs)

Yeah I was thinking about that! I'm not going to take the exam until my score is consistently where I want it for sure! I think my next step will be to take a practice AAMC exam to see where I really stand. The thing is, there is not way that it is where I need it to be, so I'm just not sure how to get my score up you know? I feel like I'm doing everything right

Yeah I was thinking about that! I'm not going to take the exam until my score is consistently where I want it for sure! I think my next step will be to take a practice AAMC exam to see where I really stand. The thing is, there is not way that it is where I need it to be, so I'm just not sure how to get my score up you know? I feel like I'm doing everything right

I found a buddy while studying (through this very site! Though admittedly back in 2012) and we went over the full-lengths together, discussing the questions and why we got one wrong/right. By deliberately doing that and talking through my problems with another human I saw my score improve significantly (plus I got to pretend to be social while MCATing)

I am so sorry if this sounds harsh, but even though you feel you are doing everything right, you are not doing things right. I don't mean to sound mean, but sometimes tough words are needed so you can start fresh. If what you were doing was working then you'd have better results. Take a day to cry it all out and then come back reborn and ready. This time you need to focus on learning from doing. Study how to take passages and how to answer questions.

I personally spent a long time pre-studying. I looked at some AAMC questions to see how they word them. I tried questions from several different books. I talked to my big sib and her friends about what they studied or if they took a class. I decided not to take a class because the two courses in my area didn't seem to be helping anyone. A bad course hurt them because they thought they were doing well, and by the time they realized they were not good at testing, it was too late. This sounds like what may have happened to you. I personally don't think you need a course unless it specializes in how to take the MCAT.

After looking at everything my big sib and her friends used, I chose the following materials for a reason that fit my needs.

For chemistry, physics, and biology I used (am using) TBR. They have tons and tons of passages for practice, and their explanations are nothing short of amazing. I learn more going over answers than anything else. Do not use anything else. Once I'm done with those, I will start into AAMC section banks. I have done a few questions already and because I'm in the right mindset from my practice, they have been going well.

For CARS I used (am using) EK and TPR. I wanted two different approaches to this section so that I can master a hybrid. It has been working pretty well so far and I like the materials a lot. Both books are different in what they suggest, some ideas being good and others bad, but the best part is that I have plenty of passages. I will add AAMC and maybe Kahn is I need more.

For psychology and sociology I used (am using) TPR and Khan. I'm honestly not that enamored with either, but they function okay. I got the 300 page document that MCATKings made and it is wonderful (best thing out there). I moved to AAMC materials and noticed immediately that they are different than what I had been using, so I'm glad I started AAMC early for this section.

The biggest thing is that I have been 'studying' by doing passages, not by reading books or listening to lectures. It has made all the difference, because passages are the best learning tool by far. I think it's huge that you start with the very best passages for studying which as everyone seems to agree is TBR for science and TPR for CARS and P/S. Learn how to answer questions fast and cleanly, and your score will improve.

Good luck! You can do this!

I am so sorry if this sounds harsh, but even though you feel you are doing everything right, you are not doing things right. I don't mean to sound mean, but sometimes tough words are needed so you can start fresh. If what you were doing was working then you'd have better results. Take a day to cry it all out and then come back reborn and ready. This time you need to focus on learning from doing. Study how to take passages and how to answer questions.

I personally spent a long time pre-studying. I looked at some AAMC questions to see how they word them. I tried questions from several different books. I talked to my big sib and her friends about what they studied or if they took a class. I decided not to take a class because the two courses in my area didn't seem to be helping anyone. A bad course hurt them because they thought they were doing well, and by the time they realized they were not good at testing, it was too late. This sounds like what may have happened to you. I personally don't think you need a course unless it specializes in how to take the MCAT.

After looking at everything my big sib and her friends used, I chose the following materials for a reason that fit my needs.

For chemistry, physics, and biology I used (am using) TBR. They have tons and tons of passages for practice, and their explanations are nothing short of amazing. I learn more going over answers than anything else. Do not use anything else. Once I'm done with those, I will start into AAMC section banks. I have done a few questions already and because I'm in the right mindset from my practice, they have been going well.

For CARS I used (am using) EK and TPR. I wanted two different approaches to this section so that I can master a hybrid. It has been working pretty well so far and I like the materials a lot. Both books are different in what they suggest, some ideas being good and others bad, but the best part is that I have plenty of passages. I will add AAMC and maybe Kahn is I need more.

For psychology and sociology I used (am using) TPR and Khan. I'm honestly not that enamored with either, but they function okay. I got the 300 page document that MCATKings made and it is wonderful (best thing out there). I moved to AAMC materials and noticed immediately that they are different than what I had been using, so I'm glad I started AAMC early for this section.

The biggest thing is that I have been 'studying' by doing passages, not by reading books or listening to lectures. It has made all the difference, because passages are the best learning tool by far. I think it's huge that you start with the very best passages for studying which as everyone seems to agree is TBR for science and TPR for CARS and P/S. Learn how to answer questions fast and cleanly, and your score will improve.

Good luck! You can do this!

That didn't sound harsh at all! Thank you for taking the time to write that! I totally hear what you're saying. I actually have been doing practice problems like crazy and not listening to lectures! But I really do need passages. I have test anxiety and I'm a slow reader so I def need to start hammering in passages. Sorry if this a dumb question, but what it TBR, like what does it stand for lol. I know EK is Exam Krackers and I have their chemistry book.

I found a buddy while studying (through this very site! Though admittedly back in 2012) and we went over the full-lengths together, discussing the questions and why we got one wrong/right. By deliberately doing that and talking through my problems with another human I saw my score improve significantly (plus I got to pretend to be social while MCATing)

Ideally I would like to do that! I think for me it's genuinely a test-anxiety and being a slow reader thing. I guess I'm just realizing that I may have to study more than other people that I know took the test!

I can really relate to your post since I am also a very slow reader. I remember half way through a practice test, I broke down and told my friends/family that I wasn't smart enough for medicine...

For the longest time I couldn't break 500. I ended up getting a 518 on the real test. What I decided to do was take 2-3 practice tests a week and using the days in between to correct my tests and review content. I was spending 8-10 hour days studying, but I also took Sundays to relax and work out - maybe some light reviewing.. only if I felt mentally up to it. I feel like taking so many practice tests definitely helped me read faster and relaxed me during the real test because I felt like I've taken so many full length practice exams. Also I hope that as your scores start to increase, you'll build more confidence while testing. Overall I took about 16 full length exams and many more partial tests simply because some days I couldn't be bothered with Psych/Soci.

Practice makes perfect! Try to continue taking as many full lengths as you can and going back to really learn the concepts that you missed on your test. Remember to review each actual question as well as the concepts. Most of the time, I didn't miss the question because I didn't know the concept - I missed the question because I didn't fully understand what the question was asking me due to the MCAT's wording. Getting familiar with the way the MCAT questions are phrased is almost as important as knowing the concept.

Ideally I would like to do that! I think for me it's genuinely a test-anxiety and being a slow reader thing. I guess I'm just realizing that I may have to study more than other people that I know took the test!

TBR is The Berkeley Review. They were a corner stone for me when I studied 5+ years ago, don't know if the quality has held up with the new MCAT but I attribute quite a high percentage of my high MCAT score to their books.

I had an incredibly hard time tackling the MCAT as well. And by no means did I completely defeat the beast, but there were a few tips/resources that you may find helpful that I did.

Chem/Phys: I was sure to memorize the equations and rewrite them everyday (like a warm up before studying). I completed a lot of practice questions (AAMC question packs and section bank) and redid them (like 3 times). Kaplan books used

CARS...omg, this was my worst nightmare before someone told me about the Princeton Review Hyperlearning workbook. Its pretty hard to find online(well for a decent price) but I swear by that book. I basically did 2 passages a day when I was like 3 months out-->then 4 passages a day--> then 8-9 a day once my accuracy was up and I was getting most of the questions correct and I was approaching test day.

Bio/Biochem: the section bank was the most representative of the real exam. Anyway prior to knowing this... I completed and redid the section bank to get a hang of AAMC's wording, etc. Kaplan books used

Psych/Soc: I learned as much vocabulary and conceptual ideas as I could. I wrote them down and reviewed them everyday until I got it and then reviewed them every other day then eery couple days. I was told that once you have plateaued in your practice scores one of the easiest way to increase your score is to focus on this section. This happened in my case, where I was able to increase my overall score just a little more by increasing this section. Kaplan books used

NEXT Step is a very good resource that I don't think is spoken enough about. The practice tests are good!