MCAT Score/Percentile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NorwegianRepresentative

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that each MCAT score correlated with a specific percentile such that everyone who scores a 510, their results will also be listed as 83%, but I recently came across something that maybe suggested otherwise. Do the percentiles vary within in each score such that there could a high 510 and a low 510 depending on your percentile?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the percentiles for each score are determined within each testing year; so a 510 from one year may be very slightly different from a 510 from another year. Unfortunately I don't have the source to cite for this. I would be surprised if two 510's from the same year could have different percentiles... it would kind of defeat the purpose of having percentile ranks vs normal percentiles, or a scaled score at all for that matter.

What evidence have you come across?

I was under the impression that each MCAT score correlated with a specific percentile such that everyone who scores a 510, their results will also be listed as 83%, but I recently came across something that maybe suggested otherwise. Do the percentiles vary within in each score such that there could a high 510 and a low 510 depending on your percentile?

The MCAT is not actually "curved" in the way most students think it is. It is sort of "curved" in that the performance of other students PREVIOUS to the current students taking the exam is used to create a scaled score and percentile range. That PRE-DETERMINED scale is then used to convert raw scores to scaled scores. This means that even if the worst 20% of all test takers took it the day you did, and your friend took it the same day as the top 20% of all test takers, and you both got the same raw score, you would both get the exact same MCAT score. How others in your testing cohort performed on your test day had no effect. However, the AAMC adjusts their scale and percentiles annually, so how you, your friend, and the other test takers performed could change the PRE-DETERMINED scale system for next year. That all being said, with the test having just changed, the AAMC has had to do some more "on the fly" adjustment to their scale--that is why there was a long lag time after the first administration for scores to be released, and why you'll see more fluctuation than normal these first few years.

The MCAT is not actually "curved" in the way most students think it is. It is sort of "curved" in that the performance of other students PREVIOUS to the current students taking the exam is used to create a scaled score and percentile range. That PRE-DETERMINED scale is then used to convert raw scores to scaled scores. This means that even if the worst 20% of all test takers took it the day you did, and your friend took it the same day as the top 20% of all test takers, and you both got the same raw score, you would both get the exact same MCAT score. How others in your testing cohort performed on your test day had no effect. However, the AAMC adjusts their scale and percentiles annually, so how you, your friend, and the other test takers performed could change the PRE-DETERMINED scale system for next year. That all being said, with the test having just changed, the AAMC has had to do some more "on the fly" adjustment to their scale--that is why there was a long lag time after the first administration for scores to be released, and why you'll see more fluctuation than normal these first few years.

So basically, they don't correct for when you take the exam? For instance, if you take it during an academic year and thus have less time to study for it, it makes no difference in terms of scaled score as compared to someone who took it at the end of a long summer of studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
So basically, they don't correct for when you take the exam? For instance, if you take it during an academic year and thus have less time to study for it, it makes no difference in terms of scaled score as compared to someone who took it at the end of a long summer of studying.

You've got it. No "time-of-year" adjustments, no "estimate-the-nature-of-this-testing-cohort" adjustments...pretty much the score sale is set and while it is reviewed and adjusted from time to time, on the day you sit for your actual test the only thing that will impact your score is the number of questions you answer correctly on that particular exam form (remembering that there are multiple forms and I GUARANTEE you that the form you get does impact your score--and way more than the AAMC would have you believe).

The length of time you devote to study, whether or not you take a heavy course load while studying, how many extra-curricular commitments you have, that is all in your control and so those who minimize distractions and focus most on MCAT prep can give themselves a real advantage. Interestingly, the score scale would be FAR different than it is if all students had even a remotely-similar preparation regiment. There are HUGE swaths of students who do crazy things like prep for one month, do no prep, take it without the prereqs, or even take it "just to find out what its like." A good chunk of my private tutoring students have taken it previously and I am often mind-blown at how poorly/foolishly they prepared the first time!

You've got it. No "time-of-year" adjustments, no "estimate-the-nature-of-this-testing-cohort" adjustments...pretty much the score sale is set and while it is reviewed and adjusted from time to time, on the day you sit for your actual test the only thing that will impact your score is the number of questions you answer correctly on that particular exam form (remembering that there are multiple forms and I GUARANTEE you that the form you get does impact your score--and way more than the AAMC would have you believe).

When you say "particular exam form," are you referring to different forms of the exam administered on the same day?

The length of time you devote to study, whether or not you take a heavy course load while studying, how many extra-curricular commitments you have, that is all in your control and so those who minimize distractions and focus most on MCAT prep can give themselves a real advantage. Interestingly, the score scale would be FAR different than it is if all students had even a remotely-similar preparation regiment. There are HUGE swaths of students who do crazy things like prep for one month, do no prep, take it without the prereqs, or even take it "just to find out what its like." A good chunk of my private tutoring students have taken it previously and I am often mind-blown at how poorly/foolishly they prepared the first time!

Yeah, I started preparing intensely in the last month or two and have schoolwork and a thesis to complete, so I just don't have the luxury of spending months to prepare for it. At the same time, I feel like it's better because I can do some focused study and have other things to do in the intervening time.

It goes to show how far above and beyond most students at SDN go while preparing for the MCAT; just by caring enough to log on to this website likely puts a test-taker ahead of ~70% of the population.

Makes the curve much better ;)

Reactions: 1 user