Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

MCAT score predictions for june 13th

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by cateyezz, Jun 13, 2008.

1. cateyezz

Pre-Medical
    I wanted to know what everyone else thought of the june 13th mcat...anybody care to share the experience? i think i got about 10 - 12 questions wrong in physical and biological sciences...how bad does the damage look? and verbal, i might have gotten a couple wrong...i'd say about 15 ish....i felt pretty good coming out but now that i think about it...i m worried...do i stand even close to a 30 or no?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. primadonna22274

primadonna22274 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    OMG. That was awful. I think it was worse than the first one I took last September. It didn't help that while I was trying to concentrate on verbal I kept getting distracted by all the clickety-clack of others doing their writing samples (I got started 20 minutes later than some of the firstcomers) and only AFTER I finished verbal and took a break did the proctor tell me they had noise-canceling headphones. I was so damn irritated I wanted to void.

But I didn't. And I have absolutely no idea how I did. I really hope I didn't score worse than I did the first time around...I do NOT want to take this test ever again!!

Talked with my sister who took it at 8am in Oregon (I was 2pm in SC). Sounds like we had an entirely different test. By the time I was coming out of mine frazzled she was already relaxed and enjoying a beer at her favorite pub. And dammit, I don't even have a decent pub where I am in SC. :mad:

4. Clp321

Resident [Any Field]
    I couldn't concentrate because of the damn physical sciences.... ugh.. I pray for a 25

5. Doctor D

Medical Student
    I got destroyed by verbal which was probably a combination of 5 hours of sleep, high sugar breakfast (couldn't eat), and nerves in general.

10 PS 8 V 10 BS is my prediction

If i get a 9+ on the verbal I will donate to SDN :D

#4 Doctor D, Jun 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  6. jo292454

Pre-Medical
    I took it at 2:00 pm Today. I was so distraught afterwards. I thought PS wasn't too difficult but I don't think I did that well. Probably 10-11. My VR diags have been all over 9-13 avg.~11 but I felt unsure of a lot of answers. I'm guessing 8 or 9. BS was the biggest surprise. This was my strongest in the practice tests but I thought the genetics destroyed me. I need a high score because my GPA is pretty low. I was scoring 32-38 on diags but I'll be lucky if I come close to 30.
    Also, I didn't really bother preparing for the writing section but I felt it went ok. We will see. Good Luck to all.

7. trojanMD

Pretty much my exact same opinion on the test. PS wasnt too bad but it could have been nicer. Verbal was average, but for me it was kinda tough b/c I just suck at verbal in general. The bio section on the other hand, was unlike anything I have ever seen and I usually do okay with the bio section (11-13 on practice aacms). The genetics questions were extremely difficult, seemingly impossible with the timing.

I scored about the 32-34 range, but I'll be counting my blessings If I get a 30.

8. hanoko

Pre-Medical
    I wrote 8am in Vancouver.

PS: killed me completely.... And no, I didn't get an answer for the stoichiometry question either... which was rather strange... [And what were the 4 Laws? :| ]

VR: half way through, I got the feeling that I got half the answers up to that point wrong...

BS: I thought that it was easier than many of the practice exams but there were some questions where I was completely clueless.

I think I'll be rewriting... :(

#7 hanoko, Jun 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  9. gatorguy

Pre-Medical
    I sat for the 8 am in Florida.
    PS- killed me, i'm about to vomit just thinking about it. 8-9 is my guess
    V - It was okay, i would say around my own average of 10
    BS - was difficult but doable. 11-12 (hopefully, fingers crossed...:scared:)

My scores were all between 34 and 36 on all the practice AAMCs, but I'm expecting around a 29 for this one. Which would only be up from a 28 the first time I took it. It's so disheartening, the last thing I want to think about is not getting in this cycle, and studying for and taking this test all over again. I'll be happy if i can get a 30. :oops:

Good Luck to all those who feel that they need it!

10. cateyezz

Pre-Medical
    humm i guess my experience wasnt that bad overall in terms of the test...i thought the PS were very do able...BS i was in luck because i teach genetics so alot of stuff seemed familiar...VR on the other hand kinda sucked....and i hate the fact its always the VR that kills me...i'll cry if i get close to a 30 but dont go over....it seems no matter what you do...u can never break that damn 30....i guess i shud give up my MD dreamzz :(

11. cateyezz

Pre-Medical
    oh and btw i no the feeling of no sleep and sugar rush...i had a wisdom tooth problem (may be the friday 13th curse?) so that plus my meds and pain killers...i threw up in after i got there...which wasnt fun but i tried my best to concentrate....hopefully it will pay off

12. xschen

This is stupid, but does any one know if the PS put the short questions in the end of the test? I didn't have time to move to the next after I finished the last passage gosh did I screwed up? I took it in the afternoon.

13. Premed Worrier

Medical Student
    I believe there were a few discretes to finish it off, but I am not absolutely positively sure.

14. EveeSTi

EveeSTi MS-0

Pre-Medical
    what is this stoich. question everyone is ranting about, was it from the 2pm or the 8am test? i took the 2pm and i don't have a clue what you guys are talking about? someone fill me in please...

15. Rdavido

Rdavido ASA Member

Medical Student
    June 13 = Unlucky? I was originally scheduled for this day, but I rescheduled... I hope it was a right choice.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Gpan

Attending Physician
    44. I'm being modest :smuggrin:

18. cateyezz

Pre-Medical
    i m guessing the stoich question was at 8 am...as for jun 13th...i thut the exam was not as bad as i took last year ...that was werst...i guessed on more than 50% of the questions and this was not as bad(so luck actually werked in that sense, i just didnt feel that well so meds were making me a little jittery)

#16 cateyezz, Jun 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  19. Tally

Pre-Medical
    When in September did you take it? I took the September 7th, and I felt like physics was harder last time...but I was also less prepared. And I felt like Bio was harder this time (but I also was reading at a snail's pace thinking I was planning on voiding). I think verbal was harder this time too...or maybe me just reading slow once again!

20. WinterLights

Pre-Medical
    Cateyezz. . . . be careful with what you post on here. The mods may put your account on hold for divulging too much info on any given question.

21. cateyezz

Pre-Medical
    i took mine late august..i think aug 22nd last year...and i was definitely less prepared for physics at least...not to mention the passages were much harder then...todays PS had some really straight forward questions....Bio felt easier too but that was just me....VR i didnt like that much and i m not that comfortable with how i did...so keeping my fingers crossed that VR didnt bring me down ( i was never good at it really)....btw GPAN thanks for the modest score :D

22. primadonna22274

primadonna22274 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Same for me, 09/07/07. I think it was noonish but can't recall. I was definitely less prepared for PS last time and studied my butt off the past few months, basically learned physics on my own and reviewed orgo and gen chem all over again. Bio has always been my strong suit but it's been 12 years since I took genetics and I never took molecular bio so it felt like a crapshoot. I agree with other posters (maybe it's the other thread) that Drosophila question was just awful.
    We'll just have to see. I'm really opposed to taking the test ever again and hopefully adcoms will look at my other positives and I won't have to.
    L.

23. IvyLeagueThug

Pre-Medical
    I'm guessing...

PS 9
    VR 12
    BS 7

TTL of 28, not where I need to be....

I found the bio murderous. I felt like the hundreds of hours of studying I did for that section were totally worthless to me on this exam.

24. UVAbme2009

Medical Student
    PS- 7
    VR- 10
    BS- 8

Which would put me 6 points below my average and at the same score I started with. I guess it all depends on the curve though. I'm praying for a Kaplan-like curve.

25. dreams

Pre-Medical
    hey guys I was scheduled to take it on this day and switched to July 8th, any suggestions on what sections I should concentrate on that you guys wish you had?? I know that everyone on here seems to be talking about genetics...which I hate so that scares me, anything else??? hope everyone did better than they think!!!

26. stalebi

Pre-Medical
    PS-11, It would be a 12 but I know I made stupid mistakes.
    V-9, Verbal was normal, I usually got a 9-10 on the practices, so I guess it depends on the curve.
    BS-9, I know I missed at least 3 discretes and the bio passages were very hard for me. :(

27. Esteban

Esteban Senior Member

Medical Student
    You guys should be happy the test was brutal! That means the curve will be more generous! :)

28. polarizer

I would be careful when you start saying curve will be generous...
    The curve compares you to your peers writing currently and to the past exam takers. Given that the total number of test-takers prior to your exam is much larger than the total number of people writing, it is expected that their performance will affect you more than the performance of your fellow writers. The "experimental questions" ,I believe, are questions which are not predetermined prior to your test, but are determined after the test is scored. Once these questions are removed, the past and current test versions are assumed to be on equal grounds so to speak and your score can now be scaled with scores of past and current writers. This is the most appropriate method in my mind, despite what I wish to believe.

29. queensnn

i took the exam at 2pm, and i didn't have a passage on tuberculosis, but it seems alot of people did, anybody know what could have happened?

30. dArroway

dArroway Gettin' my hood on

Pre-Medical
    http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/sendscores/exofscores.pdf

31. cateyezz

Pre-Medical
    i read on the mcat website that the curve applies to all tests...regardless of what testing center you took it in...so all tests are based on the same standard scale..which in a sense looks right because a lot of people taking the exam with me were engineering and math majors so i bet the PS section was especially easy for them...which would have been unfair to me unless the standard curve puts us all in the same category...but i still dont get how it works....i like polarizer's method tho...that seems like how they would do it....

32. Josh L.Ac.

Josh L.Ac. MSA/LAc & BSN/RN --> AA-S

Non-Student
    My guess:pS6 VR13 BS10

33. esk1137

Medical Student
    Hey guys,
    I took the June 13, 2:00 pm MCAT and was pretty shocked at the element of physics and the lack of solution chemistry that I had been so sure would dominate this physical sciences! The verbal seemed to be strategically designed and sequenced to cause maximum confusion and or distraction...not to mention the person across from me doing some sort of heavy breathing technique during the writing...awful! But, I thought the biological science section was very fair with the exception of the ridiculous genetics passage and questions! I will be happy with upper 20's! That test was hard.

#31 esk1137, Jun 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  34. esk1137

Medical Student
    I took the 2:00 pm test and did not have a TB passage either...weird...

35. polarizer

This is correct reasoning. Also, if a bunch of dummies took the test only, it would be unfair to award a 15 to a dummy, even if he was the smartest dummy of all the dummies writing on that day.

36. dArroway

dArroway Gettin' my hood on

Pre-Medical
    According to that aamc link on mcat scoring, your percentile rank is based on those who took the same exam you did.... unless I am reading it incorrectly.

37. polarizer

Hey! I think you are reading it correctly, but you are jumping to wrong conclusions...
    Taken from your link, first:
    "Two candidates of equal ability would be
    expected to achieve the same scaled score, even though
    there might be a slight difference in the raw scores which​
    each of them obtained for the test.
    "

This implies that test scores should be comparable across different examinations, to support the statement "candidates of equal ability should be expected to achieve the same scaled score" as ability of individuals is not what changes but the test versions do change. So in theory it should provide for comparison of ability say of a dad and then his son who took the test 20 years later..comparing their abilities.

Now, from the same link, where it talks about percentiles:

"..So that each examinee may compare his or her performance
    on the MCAT with that of all individuals examined
    nationwide during the same test administration, the percentage​
    of examinees receiving each scaled score"

You are right that percentile rank for a particular examination depends only on that examination. D'uh! However, the point here is that your score is not solely based on which percentile you fall in. Nope. It implies that after the scores have been scaled, THEN the percentiles are calculated. Which is supported by this sentence:

"For each scaled score, a range of percentile ranks associated
    with that score is also presented."

Also, "The 50th percentile indicates the score level below which 50 percent of
    students scored."

Scaled score does not depend on percentile.

Thanks for the link though, I seriously do need some practice with Verbal Reasoning.

38. cateyezz

Pre-Medical
    do u think med schools look at the combination of ur scores or each section score individually? i no when i talked to someone here at njmed , they didnt tell me the total score but the individual score for each section and standard deviation from that score...so any ideas??

39. PsxDcSquall

Pre-Medical
    PS-that was rough so i'll say 8

Verbal wasn't too bad hopefully I got around a 10

Bio-I think i did well on this one (I just got down a molecular genetics and biochem class and lots of what I just learned was on there) so I'll be nice and say 11.

Writing who cares but I think i'm a good writer so hopefully I got around an R

So if I get a 29 R on that monster of a test I will be ecstatic, burn my MCAT books and send out my applications and hope for the best!

40. bravesfan113

realistic predictions...

PS - 8. i got rocked
    verbal - 11
    bio - 10

my practice AAMCs were all between 30 and 35. if i hit 30 on the real deal i will be ecstatic

41. UVAbme2009

Medical Student
    There's no point in discussing how the curve is formulated because nobody knows. I'm sure it's based on prior tests and the current tests. What we do know is that the average is going to be a 24-25. If the test was extremely difficult, which judging by our reaction it was, somebody who missed the same amount of questions on 6/13 as somebody who took a relatively easier exam is going to get a higher score.

As an example, there was somebody in another thread who said he knew he missed at least four questions in PS, yet he still got a 14. Maybe two or three of those were experimental. But if they weren't, that says the curve was generous, because you're not typically going to miss four questions and get a 14.

42. sunasuna

Medical Student
    SO the prometric center in Raytown, KS was having technical difficulties and the poor people that were scheduled to take the test at 12 pm COULDN'T take it and were told to go home and reschedule!!!! DAMNNNNNN I WOULD BE PISSEDDDDDd unless of course I didn't feel ready for it, in which case i would feel blessed. But i took it at 2pm and i thought the physical science section BLOWEDDDDDD. My verbal was probably the best although halfway through, I was feeling like i was being mentally raped :( And yea the genetics on the bio section had me literally going :eek: I tried to get through it the best i could, but other than that passage, it was decent. GOD WILLING I'll be alright.... when is the estimated score release date? July 13th?

43. jimsteelevans

Pre-Medical
    Prediction:

PS - 7
    VR - 11
    BS - 10
    28Q

I had the weirdest (and possibly most fatal) issue taking the MCAT (First-timer). On the practice AAMC tests on e-mcat.com, they always say "question x/xx" on the bottom of the screen. However, on the real MCAT, when there is a passage it says "passage x/x" instead of saying the question numbers. So, since I was completely focused on the questions, at one point I glanced down and notice I was on passage 6 out of 7. I assumed I was on the second to last page based on this - without looking at the question number - so I took my time on this passage. By the time I went to the next page and finished all of the questions - thinking I was done - I clicked the next button only to be completely surprised by a whole additional passage that I had to guess on every one of the 8 questions (and three more questions that I didn't even have to guess on, on the next page)!

My questions are: Was anyone else completely thrown off by this? Is this a valid reason to re-take the MCAT (assuming I score the statistically estimated 2-3 full points below my average 10 on PS)? Is this disparity between the practice AAMC tests and the real MCAT written anywhere on AAMC or E-MCAT? :(

Other than this fatal problem, I felt I did as I normally do (like my practice tests) on the rest of the stuff.

44. wanttogohome

Medical Student
    whoa. I dont think i understood what you were saying the first time i read this. You mean, the bottom said "passage 6/7" but there were 8 passages??? or were there a few discretes after the 7th passage? I'm 99.9% sure my PS ended with discretes just like practice. If it said 6/7 passages and there were 8 I'd be furious! The AAMC should know bout this. I dont think that's fair.

45. HippocratesX

HippocratesX Member

This is a good question. I think my PS ended with a passage. Now that you bring it up, I remember being sort of confused that the format was not the same as practice.

Those of you who finished PS in time, did your PS section end with discretes or with a passage????? I'm hoping that there will be people who say both, because if everybody's ended with discretes, then I'm in trouble :(

46. Revilla

Revilla New Member

Medical Student
    Mine ended with discretes, but a friend of mine says she could swear hers ended with a passage.

47. HippocratesX

HippocratesX Member

Yea, the thing that confused me was that I remember having discretes towards the end, but then my time ended exactly as i filled in the last question for the last passage. So I couldnt tell if there was a next page or not....

anybody else remember whether your PS ended in discretes or passage??:confused:

48. mdhopefully23

Pre-Medical
    mine ended in discretes--i'm pretty sure

49. wanttogohome

Medical Student
    Guys,

I think we all should relax and just have faith in ourselves. Unless you know for sure that you didn't finish because you ran out of time, you probably did finish. The test was 5 days ago and I don't even remember what passages were about. We all took many practice tests and did any of us every not finish by mistake? No. So lets not freak out. I think we'll be ok.

That aside, though, I think it's messed up that the format would change at all. I am positive that I finished with discretes. Now that I think about it, I had a tendency to go to the discretes after finishing the second to last passage because i was running out of time. I finished question 52 then went back to the last passage in case i had to guess.

50. mulletmudbogger

PS - 9 Before i took the mcat, I was scoring 10-12's on the practice test.

VR - 6 Ran out of time, had to click answers on 8 of the questions without even reading the passage. I totally suck at these, my highest score on any aamc was a 7

BS - 9 Lots of hard molecular biology, I was always scoring a 10~11 on my practice test.

That gives me a big ol' 24 prediction. All I need is a 27-28 or better.

I'm already signed up for another test in early august. This time I'm going to spend more time on verbal and also read the princeton review book on biology, because my Kaplan book is weak on the molecular biology.

good luck to everyone, I'm about to start studying for my retake.

51. jimsteelevans

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, the last 3 questions I was referring to were the discretes that I didn't even have time to guess on. I think everyones test ended with 3 discretes. I don't think it's fair either, unless they provide a solid disclaimer stating that the practice test have significant differences involving how one should gauge their time management - especially to those like me who always take up to the very last minute on every test.

52. polarizer

Why did you run out of time? Did you practice timed? If so, what do you think is the #1 reason you ran out of time?