MCAT score releases: how're they doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

da8s0859q

I took the 'CAT back on 01/26 and got my scores back on 02/25, a couple of days before the scheduled release, if I remember correctly.

I screwed myself on the BS section, so I retook on 05/23.

How is the AAMC doing these days as regards score releases? That MCAT score is going to be the last thing keeping my TMDSAS / secondaries from getting reviewed, so I'm curious as to when I'll be able to release it. I believe the schedule says 06/24, but I was wondering what kind of experiences the more-recent-than-January takers have had.

I just hope I didn't screw myself on the PS section this time. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I took the 'CAT back on 01/26 and got my scores back on 02/25, a couple of days before the scheduled release, if I remember correctly.

I screwed myself on the BS section, so I retook on 05/23.

How is the AAMC doing these days as regards score releases? That MCAT score is going to be the last thing keeping my TMDSAS / secondaries from getting reviewed, so I'm curious as to when I'll be able to release it. I believe the schedule says 06/24, but I was wondering what kind of experiences the more-recent-than-January takers have had.

I just hope I didn't screw myself on the PS section this time. :(

The last two releases have been 1 day early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's their goal....

I can understand why it takes awhile because of all the essays to go through. Still, it'd be nice if we could get the numerical score after we finish and the writing score later.

isn't that how it is with the GRE or GMAT or one of those tests? my friend was telling me about how you get your score as soon as you are done.

Yeah, at least for the GRE. Not sure about the GMAT; maybe so.

I hate how we get to sit around, twiddling our thumbs for a month.

(eta: I love the Hepburn quote. Always did.)

Yeah, what's up with the MCAT that they can't do that? (Re: immediate scores like GRE). It would certainly expedite the whole process.

Yeah, what's up with the MCAT that they can't do that? (Re: immediate scores like GRE). It would certainly expedite the whole process.
How would you receive a score on a scaled/curved test when everyone else isn't finished? Unless you want a score that changes like the stock market?:smuggrin:
No, a 25!
Wait a 30!
OH YES 35!
NO 33
NO 32
YES 34
CLOSING SCORE - 34!

How would you receive a score on a scaled/curved test when everyone else isn't finished? Unless you want a score that changes like the stock market?:smuggrin:

See, I thought the MCAT scale was based on the previous year, not the year you're taking it. So the questions the guy next to you gets correct during your test goes towards making the curve for next year's examination, but not the current one. Is this not the case?

See, I thought the MCAT scale was based on the previous year, not the year you're taking it. So the questions the guy next to you gets correct during your test goes towards making the curve for next year's examination, but not the current one. Is this not the case?

How can that be? You can't judge one MCAT against another. If the questions vary, the degree of difficulty is going to vary and you end up with one MCAT group where the highest score in the nation in Bio was an 11 because it was much harder than the one issued the previous year where the highest score was a 15.

How can that be? You can't judge one MCAT against another. If the questions vary, the degree of difficulty is going to vary and you end up with one MCAT group where the highest score in the nation in Bio was an 11 because it was much harder than the one issued the previous year where the highest score was a 15.

I also thought they reused passages and questions for more than a few exams such that there is some continuity between administrations. The curve helps with minor fluctuations but not huge swings like what you're describing. Of course, if the curve is determined on a rolling basis like you say it would be a much better explanation for the delay in score reporting.

I also thought they reused passages and questions for more than a few exams such that there is some continuity between administrations. The curve helps with minor fluctuations but not huge swings like what you're describing. Of course, if the curve is determined on a rolling basis like you say it would be a much better explanation for the delay in score reporting.

I honestly don't know how it's curved. I just think it wouldn't make much sense to curve it according to last year's class when the exam isn't the same. I've heard the same about certain passages being reused, but even that doesn't give a decent indication of the whole section, so unless they curve passage by passage (which seems unrealistic), it doesn't make sense to me.

I think that at the very least they could just give us our percentages on each section that isnt WS. That would make sense... then not getting our scaled scores until a month later. Also... if you saw that you did horrible base on percentage you could go ahead and reschedule withough worrying about loosing 200 dollars.

I think that at the very least they could just give us our percentages on each section that isnt WS. That would make sense... then not getting our scaled scores until a month later. Also... if you saw that you did horrible base on percentage you could go ahead and reschedule withough worrying about loosing 200 dollars.
makes sense

I think this makes too much sense for them to actually do it.

I think this makes too much sense for them to actually do it.

haha maybe I'm strange, but I'd get MORE freaked out seeing the percentage correct and having to wait a month for the scaled scores than the current system.

It's always agonizing when my final EXAM grade gets posted online but the final COURSE grade isn't calculated and you don't know what cutoffs they're going to be using (it's never 90+ A, 80+ B etc since most tests at my school are way too hard for a meaningful number of people to do that well).

How hard is the MCAT?

Its not extremely hard, but the weight that it carries makes everyone have a hard time doing well on it. Realizing that your future lies on the horizon, and that such an examination is a key component in realizing that future; it makes anyone taking it freak out for a moment.